Author Topic: Goran Dragic named Allstar replacing Kevin Love  (Read 2342 times)

Re: Goran Dragic named Allstar replacing Kevin Love
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 11:47:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Not sure what you guys are talking about... dragic is having a very average year. Should have been Kemba for sure.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Goran+Dragic&player_id1_select=Goran+Dragic&y1=2018&player_id1=dragigo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Kemba+Walker&player_id2_select=Kemba+Walker&y2=2018&player_id2=walkeke02&idx=players

I laughed when Jaylen thought he deseeved to be an allstar... but he actually has a better case than Dragic.

Yes, because we  all know stats are the only thing that matters.  Being the best player on a winning team means nothing.   ::)

Dragic earned his spot, fair and square.

Stats aren't everything, but dragic isn't even a top 100 player and the heat aren't even a good team. They're 4 games out of missing the eastern conference playoffs and have a negative point margin lol. He might actually be the first allstar with a negative BPM. He most definitely has not earned the spot and the Heat aren't a good enough team for people to say it has to be because of a certain player.

You can give the edge to the better win team player if it's close like Horford vs Drummond, but kemba is ranked 18th in VORP and dragic is 135th. It's a joke.

What are you talking about? The Heat are 49-33 in their last 82 regular season games.  The fact they are currently 7 games over .500 (this season) is indicative they are in fact a good team.

And I really couldn't care less about VORP, this isn't baseball.

I'm glad you get to pick and choose what you care about. Really makes debating things with you impossible, but I'll give it one more shot.

The heat are now half a game out of being the 7th seed in the eastern conference, and now 2.5 games out from missing it entirely. Also Bringing up any record from last year is a red herring because it's not the same team, same competition or same circumstances.

The heat are one of two teams (bucks) over 500 that have a negative net point differential. The hornets are the only team under 500 with a positive net point differential. This means that the heat won a few coin flips and the hornets lost a few coin flips. They will eventually regress to a similar record by season end barring trades or injuries. And no, if the coin flips were simply dragic better than Kemba, it would show up in the winshares.

Kemba has 3 more win shares than Dragic on a team with 7 less wins. He is by far the better player in just about every statistical category (see link above), and in terms of winning, he has also proven that he is more conducive to winning due to the win shares, I.e. Even if the heat are better than the hornets, it's not because of dragic vs Kemba... it's in spite of it. If you swapped them, the heat would be better and the hornets would be worse.

With this post and previous posts, I have just placed a lot of facts in your lap that should lead you to understand that dragic is an average player on an average team (slightly above average at best), and that Kemba is a star on an average team (slightly below average at worst). Neither teams are good (contenders) or bad (well, the hawks). You can choose what you'd like to do with the facts... Something about a horse and water...

Goodnight

Talk about "picking and choosing"...

Miami is 2 games behind Cleveland for the 3rd seed, and have exactly 1 less win than the team with the best player in the world.

But go right ahead believing whatever narrative floats your boat.  Discussing anything with you is a waste of my time.  I think from now on I'm just going to ignore you and save us both the trouble.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 12:13:16 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Can we both agree that even if Dragic won, Walker got snubbed. Walker really needs to stop trying to be loyal. I would love to see him on the Knicks.

I'm okay with either player. Also the Heat have benched Winslow, managed to come back strong with Waiters out, and Wellington is shooting hot from the 3 this year. If Dragic isn't that useful, who by god is gonna score on that team?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Can we both agree that even if Dragic won, Walker got snubbed. Walker really needs to stop trying to be loyal. I would love to see him on the Knicks.

He committed the double sin of being a good player on a bad team, and a good player on a bad small-market team.  All-Star poison.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 12:34:10 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm okay with either player. Also the Heat have benched Winslow, managed to come back strong with Waiters out, and Wellington is shooting hot from the 3 this year. If Dragic isn't that useful, who by god is gonna score on that team?

Oh, I'm definitely not saying Kemba wouldn't have been a worthy selection, he would have been.

But this idea that Dragic isn't also worthy is ridiculous, that is what I take issue with.  He's the best player on a team that is right in the hunt for home court advantage in the first round.

Ultimately, we're talking about the 2nd injury replacement.  The margin between the players chosen over others at this stage is so small it's indistinguishable.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 12:53:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not sure what you guys are talking about... dragic is having a very average year. Should have been Kemba for sure.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Goran+Dragic&player_id1_select=Goran+Dragic&y1=2018&player_id1=dragigo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Kemba+Walker&player_id2_select=Kemba+Walker&y2=2018&player_id2=walkeke02&idx=players

I laughed when Jaylen thought he deseeved to be an allstar... but he actually has a better case than Dragic.

Yes, because we  all know stats are the only thing that matters.  Being the best player on a winning team means nothing.   ::)

Dragic earned his spot, fair and square.

Stats aren't everything, but dragic isn't even a top 100 player and the heat aren't even a good team. They're 4 games out of missing the eastern conference playoffs and have a negative point margin lol. He might actually be the first allstar with a negative BPM. He most definitely has not earned the spot and the Heat aren't a good enough team for people to say it has to be because of a certain player.

You can give the edge to the better win team player if it's close like Horford vs Drummond, but kemba is ranked 18th in VORP and dragic is 135th. It's a joke.

What are you talking about? The Heat are 49-33 in their last 82 regular season games.  The fact they are currently 7 games over .500 (this season) is indicative they are in fact a good team.

And I really couldn't care less about VORP, this isn't baseball.

I'm glad you get to pick and choose what you care about. Really makes debating things with you impossible, but I'll give it one more shot.

The heat are now half a game out of being the 7th seed in the eastern conference, and now 2.5 games out from missing it entirely. Also Bringing up any record from last year is a red herring because it's not the same team, same competition or same circumstances.

The heat are one of two teams (bucks) over 500 that have a negative net point differential. The hornets are the only team under 500 with a positive net point differential. This means that the heat won a few coin flips and the hornets lost a few coin flips. They will eventually regress to a similar record by season end barring trades or injuries. And no, if the coin flips were simply dragic better than Kemba, it would show up in the winshares.

Kemba has 3 more win shares than Dragic on a team with 7 less wins. He is by far the better player in just about every statistical category (see link above), and in terms of winning, he has also proven that he is more conducive to winning due to the win shares, I.e. Even if the heat are better than the hornets, it's not because of dragic vs Kemba... it's in spite of it. If you swapped them, the heat would be better and the hornets would be worse.

With this post and previous posts, I have just placed a lot of facts in your lap that should lead you to understand that dragic is an average player on an average team (slightly above average at best), and that Kemba is a star on an average team (slightly below average at worst). Neither teams are good (contenders) or bad (well, the hawks). You can choose what you'd like to do with the facts... Something about a horse and water...

Goodnight

Miami is 2 games behind Cleveland for the 3rd seed, and have exactly 1 less win than the team with the best player in the world.

But go right ahead believing whatever narrative floats your boat.  Discussing anything with you is a waste of my time.  I think from now on I'm just going to ignore you and save us both the trouble.
You should've realized that as soon as he said Dragic wasn't in the top 100, rofl
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Not picking and choosing at all. Cleveland isn't good either. They're playing bad basketball this year. When you refer to a good team in the sense that this team must obviously require an Allstar selection because the team is phenomenal, the fact that the Heat are worse than the struggling Cavs is exactly why I'm right. The only two teams in the East that are playing good basketball are Boston and Toronto. Those are the only two teams that your argument would apply to. The rest of the teams in Miami's general vicinity of mediocrity all had allstar players who deserved it on their own merit (like Beal, Oladipo, Embiid, Giannis, Drummond, Porzingis).

Oh, I'm definitely not saying Kemba wouldn't have been a worthy selection, he would have been.

But this idea that Dragic isn't also worthy is ridiculous, that is what I take issue with.  He's the best player on a team that is right in the hunt for home court advantage in the first round.

Ultimately, we're talking about the 2nd injury replacement.  The margin between the players chosen over others at this stage is so small it's indistinguishable.

Maybe it would help if you shared with me why you think that Dragic is the clear best player on his team, because nothing indicates it. He is definitely the best name on the team and he scores the most points, but there is no real clear best player on the team. It's basically a big 3 of mediocrity in Whiteside (when he plays), Dragic and Josh Richardson. "right in the hunt for home court advantage." Good way to put it. Since it's the Eastern Conference, I'm hoping after typing that you realized how ridiculous it sounded when trying to frame them as a team so good that it requires an allstar selection.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:06:30 AM by Erik »