Author Topic: Marbury to play last game Feb. 11 - Is he HOF worthy?  (Read 2945 times)

Re: Marbury to play last game Feb. 11 - Is he HOF worthy?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:32 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
If Chris Webber isn't an HoFer, why should Marbury get to be one?
While I am inclined to agree with you, don't forget that what Marbury did in China counts.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He should be as he has been the face of the transition of US star player to China star player.

We can't dismiss that he was a popular player in HS, NBA and CBA. He also played on USA team.

He had an impact 100%
What US star player has transitioned from the NBA to China? Here's your answer: none. US star players stay in the NBA as stars. Only washed up, not good enough NBA players go to China and they only become stars in China because the competition is so inferior. There is better basketball competition in the larger Div I NCAA conferences than there is in the CBA.

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Vaseline HOF for sure.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The HoF is for many different contributions to the game.

The Starbury belongs in Springfield somewhere. After the Air Jordan, no other sneaker has done more for the world than Mr. Marbury’s $29.99 basketball sneaker.

But seriously, no to Marbury.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's an intriguing question.

If you look at who is enshrined in the Basketball HOF as "contributors" and look at their resumes, then I think you have to give Marbury some consideration there.

As a player enshrinee?  No way.
Probably this

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He’s the greatest player in china of all time. There’s no argument for not putting him in

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Vaseline HOF for sure.

I don't know there are some compelling cases for the next class.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He’s the greatest player in china of all time. There’s no argument for not putting him in
So should the best player in the history of the South American Basketball League also get in? How about the best player in the history of the Adriatic League? The Sengalese Basketball League? The Bundesliga? At what point does the level of the player and the league he plays in get taken into consideration? The CBA is a low quality basketball league. Just being the best player ever in a low quality league shouldn't be enough to get you in the HOF.

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 09:48:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He should be as he has been the face of the transition of US star player to China star player.

We can't dismiss that he was a popular player in HS, NBA and CBA. He also played on USA team.

He had an impact 100%
What US star player has transitioned from the NBA to China? Here's your answer: none. US star players stay in the NBA as stars. Only washed up, not good enough NBA players go to China and they only become stars in China because the competition is so inferior. There is better basketball competition in the larger Div I NCAA conferences than there is in the CBA.
I see it way differently. Putting aside ego of not being able to play in the NBA but wanting to play because you love to no matter where is something to appreciate. And taking on the challenge that over seas basketball is to a person's life isn't easy by any means. It would have been easy for him to retire but he went a road not traveled.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hmmmmmmm let me think about this...... NO!!!

Why is this even a topic for discussion?

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
lol @ the poster who says he should be in because someone from the WNBA made it. Are you saying he should be in the WNBA section of the HOF?

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 10:33:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

He had an impact 100%
I see it way differently. Putting aside ego of not being able to play in the NBA but wanting to play because you love to no matter where is something to appreciate. And taking on the challenge that over seas basketball is to a person's life isn't easy by any means. It would have been easy for him to retire but he went a road not traveled.

If you can show that other than playing and playing well in the CBA he did more as an ambassador for the NBA like conducting clinics, inviting coaches and teams to travel to play exhibition games in China or leading CBA teams to tour the US, then you can start to convince folks that he gets in as a contributor. If all he has is playing well in China he cannot use that as off the court credentials.

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
lol @ the poster who says he should be in because someone from the WNBA made it. Are you saying he should be in the WNBA section of the HOF?

No.  What I'm saying is if the HOF let's in anyone who played in the WNBA (because it's pretty much a joke of a pro league) then by default Marbury should be in.  He was a really good NBA player, he was a champion in a foreign league, and his impact on the game as a global ambassador can't be overlooked.  He was also very philanthropic with how he was willing to sell his shoes for A LOT less than what most companies did.  I don't think it's as black and white for Marbury like it is for other players.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So should the best player in the history of the South American Basketball League also get in? How about the best player in the history of the Adriatic League? The Sengalese Basketball League? The Bundesliga? At what point does the level of the player and the league he plays in get taken into consideration? The CBA is a low quality basketball league. Just being the best player ever in a low quality league shouldn't be enough to get you in the HOF.
Um, a lot of those players are actually in the HOF.  I mean Lauren "Laddie" Gale, Angelo "Hank" Luisetti, John D. "Honey" Russell, John S. Roosma, and many others that played before the NBA even existed are in the HOF.  I mean Christian Steinmetz, played just 40 college games in the early 1900's and is in the HOF because he is considered the "Father of Wisconsin Basketball".  Marques Haynes, who was a Harlem Globetrotter is in the HOF.  Dino Meneghin, never played in the NBA, but is one of the greatest Italian players ever.  He played solely in Italy in the 70's (I suspect the quality of Italian league basketball in the 70's is on par with the Chinese league).  Kresimir Cosic, like Meneghin never played in the NBA (though he did play at BYU), played pretty exclusively in Croatia/Yugoslavia.  Fellow Yugoslavan, Drazen Dalipagic is in the HOF.  Then there are the foreign HOF players that had decent careers in the NBA, but are there for their international work like, Drazen Petrovic, Sarunas Marciulionas, and Arvydas Sabonis.  Then you have guys who are there from ABA time, like Zelmo Beaty.

It isn't a NBA HOF, it is a basketball HOF, which is why the Marbury question is a lot closer then one might expect.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Um, a lot of those players are actually in the HOF.  I mean Lauren "Laddie" Gale, Angelo "Hank" Luisetti, John D. "Honey" Russell, John S. Roosma, and many others that played before the NBA even existed are in the HOF.  I mean Christian Steinmetz, played just 40 college games in the early 1900's and is in the HOF because he is considered the "Father of Wisconsin Basketball".  Marques Haynes, who was a Harlem Globetrotter is in the HOF.  Dino Meneghin, never played in the NBA, but is one of the greatest Italian players ever.  He played solely in Italy in the 70's (I suspect the quality of Italian league basketball in the 70's is on par with the Chinese league).  Kresimir Cosic, like Meneghin never played in the NBA (though he did play at BYU), played pretty exclusively in Croatia/Yugoslavia.  Fellow Yugoslavan, Drazen Dalipagic is in the HOF.  Then there are the foreign HOF players that had decent careers in the NBA, but are there for their international work like, Drazen Petrovic, Sarunas Marciulionas, and Arvydas Sabonis.  Then you have guys who are there from ABA time, like Zelmo Beaty.

It isn't a NBA HOF, it is a basketball HOF, which is why the Marbury question is a lot closer then one might expect.

I could add the newly elected member of HoF Nick Galis .....

The italian league in the 70s was the top league in the world not named NBA. Meneghin in the 70s lead his team Varese in 10 consecutive European Championship Finals and he is 2nd european ever drafted. He is not some guy who found a weak league in order to dominate. Cosic is one of the 10 best not American players ever.

All of them became legends playing in highest level (not counting NBA) ...Marbury played in China.