Author Topic: Lebron to Warriors this summer?  (Read 4301 times)

Re: Lebron to Warriors this summer?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22284640/these-three-ways-warriors-land-lebron-james-nba

the 3 ways are

1. opt in to last year and get traded (he could then sign a 3 year extension in January 19)
2. sign and trade (Durant would have to opt out and sign at 5 million less, but otherwise very similar roster)
3. create the cap space (very unlikely almost impossible for them to do)

Each option requires Iggy, Livingston, and one of Green or Thompson being traded.

Option 2 requires that Durant not only to take 5 million less than he made this year, but to take 15-20 million less than the max for him. He has already sacrificed these first two years to make this work. This off-season was supposed to be the one where he got his 4 year max.

I suppose option 1 is possible. I just find it hard to believe that the Warriors would trade Thompson for James, but I suppose it could technically happen.
I think the Warriors know Thompson is going to want a max contract, and I don't think they are going to give it to him.  They aren't going to break up the band for just anyone, but Lebron James isn't just anyone. 

That said, to do that option James would have to know he was leaving and wanting to go to Golden State before the end of the league year, and I see that as almost a 0% chance.

Aren't they in same situation with Lebron getting a max? I know Lebron is better than Thompson, but if they are hard-capped with giving Thompson a max, they would be with Lebron as well.

This story is basically the same theory as the Davis to GS story. Golden state has Thompson, who is gonna want a max. So instead of giving it to him they trade him and one of their pieces making big money to Cavs/Pels for Davis/Lebron essentially saving themselves some money against the tax while bringing in another top level MVP talent. Who would you rather have on the max, Thompson or Davis/Lebron?

But what reason does CLE/NOP have to facilitate the trade? To have the honor of paying Thompson $30+M a year? If they are dumping their stars, they want a full rebuild. Picks, not a $140M contact for a guy who never led a team before.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge should call and also express interest like Lakers, Spurs and Warriors have. Sign for MLE and sign some Dunkin Donuts contracts to make it a "max deal".  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22284640/these-three-ways-warriors-land-lebron-james-nba

the 3 ways are

1. opt in to last year and get traded (he could then sign a 3 year extension in January 19)
2. sign and trade (Durant would have to opt out and sign at 5 million less, but otherwise very similar roster)

Each option requires Iggy, Livingston, and one of Green or Thompson being traded.

Option 2 requires that Durant not only to take 5 million less than he made this year, but to take 15-20 million less than the max for him. He has already sacrificed these first two years to make this work. This off-season was supposed to be the one where he got his 4 year max.

I suppose option 1 is possible. I just find it hard to believe that the Warriors would trade Thompson for James, but I suppose it could technically happen.
I think the Warriors know Thompson is going to want a max contract, and I don't think they are going to give it to him.  They aren't going to break up the band for just anyone, but Lebron James isn't just anyone. 

That said, to do that option James would have to know he was leaving and wanting to go to Golden State before the end of the league year, and I see that as almost a 0% chance.

Aren't they in same situation with Lebron getting a max? I know Lebron is better than Thompson, but if they are hard-capped with giving Thompson a max, they would be with Lebron as well.

This story is basically the same theory as the Davis to GS story. Golden state has Thompson, who is gonna want a max. So instead of giving it to him they trade him and one of their pieces making big money to Cavs/Pels for Davis/Lebron essentially saving themselves some money against the tax while bringing in another top level MVP talent. Who would you rather have on the max, Thompson or Davis/Lebron?

But what reason does CLE/NOP have to facilitate the trade? To have the honor of paying Thompson $30+M a year? If they are dumping their stars, they want a full rebuild. Picks, not a $140M contact for a guy who never led a team before.
Cleveland has all of the incentive of not losing James for nothing.  If he just walks this summer they get absolutely nothing and they still would be over the salary cap (they have a lot of bad contracts). 

And for the record, Thompson is absolutely worth a max contract.  He is 27 years old.  He is scoring over 20 a game on a team with 2 other 20 point scorers (this is his 4th straight year doing that).  He is one of the best pure shooters in NBA history and on top of that is a great defender.  Despite playing on a loaded team he has made 2 All NBA teams and even has a top 10 MVP voting finish (as a point of comparison the current Celtic roster has 0 top ten MVP finishes and 2 All NBA teams - Irving and Horford each have 1). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

the 3 ways are

Cleveland has all of the incentive of not losing James for nothing.  If he just walks this summer they get absolutely nothing and they still would be over the salary cap (they have a lot of bad contracts). 

And for the record, Thompson is absolutely worth a max contract.  He is 27 years old.  He is scoring over 20 a game on a team with 2 other 20 point scorers (this is his 4th straight year doing that).  He is one of the best pure shooters in NBA history and on top of that is a great defender.  Despite playing on a loaded team he has made 2 All NBA teams and even has a top 10 MVP voting finish (as a point of comparison the current Celtic roster has 0 top ten MVP finishes and 2 All NBA teams - Irving and Horford each have 1).

So they would get a 28 year old star (but he’s no superstar) at max money to start a rebuild? Fair enough, I guess by the time he’s 33 you can contend if you nail those second rounders you get.

I like Klay. But let’s not kid ourselves and say he (and Draymond) would be All-NBA if running their own team. Klay is as electrifying shooter as I’ve seen. When he gets hot, he’s out of this world. But he’s playing in a tailor-made system for him to succeed. Does he create his own shot consistently? Does he create for others? I see him as a more polished Booker, and he’s not carrying his team anywhere,  or getting any votes for anything.

I mean we can go back and forth with this all day, but this is pure ESPN clickbait garbage. No way is it happening.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Surprised people are seriously debating this. I think Lebron is a ring chaser that had perennially played with 2 all stars the last 7 years in a decimated east, but even knows joining two mvps would end any comparison of him to mj forever for 95% of fans.

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the 3 ways are

So they would get a 28 year old star (but he’s no superstar) at max money to start a rebuild? Fair enough, I guess by the time he’s 33 you can contend if you nail those second rounders you get.

I like Klay. But let’s not kid ourselves and say he (and Draymond) would be All-NBA if running their own team. Klay is as electrifying shooter as I’ve seen. When he gets hot, he’s out of this world. But he’s playing in a tailor-made system for him to succeed. Does he create his own shot consistently? Does he create for others? I see him as a more polished Booker, and he’s not carrying his team anywhere,  or getting any votes for anything.

I mean we can go back and forth with this all day, but this is pure ESPN clickbait garbage. No way is it happening.
Oh I agree he isn't going there.  Someone probably asked the "source" if Lebron would talk to the Warriors if they asked to speak with him, and of course the source said yes. 

That said, I do actually think Thompson could be a legit #1 guy in the right situation.  Not sure if Cleveland would be that situation, but if the Cavs made that trade I'd assume they would bring back Thomas (assuming he does get at least most his form back), and a starting 5 of Thomas, Thompson, Iguodala, Love, and Thompson with guys like Crowder, Smith, and Korver on the bench would be a pretty darn good team and certainly one that could compete in the East (the C's with a healthy Hayward would obviously be better on paper, but not so much that a series would be a foregone conclusion). 

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

the 3 ways are

Doesn't a love, Thompson, Thompson, osman, shumpert and vet min guys cap out at 45 wins? Why wouldn't Cleveland want to rebuild?

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 02:06:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is this a joke?? Lol

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

the 3 ways are

Oh I agree he isn't going there.  Someone probably asked the "source" if Lebron would talk to the Warriors if they asked to speak with him, and of course the source said yes. 

That said, I do actually think Thompson could be a legit #1 guy in the right situation.  Not sure if Cleveland would be that situation, but if the Cavs made that trade I'd assume they would bring back Thomas (assuming he does get at least most his form back), and a starting 5 of Thomas, Thompson, Iguodala, Love, and Thompson with guys like Crowder, Smith, and Korver on the bench would be a pretty darn good team and certainly one that could compete in the East (the C's with a healthy Hayward would obviously be better on paper, but not so much that a series would be a foregone conclusion).

The only way that team would be a top seed in the East would be if Thomas returns to his MVP-caliber self. And if that was to happen, it would be his team, not Klay’s.

I do think that team would be pretty good because we’ve seen what IT can do (under Brad though) with less help. Klay and Love are probably a better duo to accompany him than Avery and Horford. But if nobody thinks our team was good enough last year to truly contend. Why invest in a team like that for the long haul?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

the 3 ways are

The only way that team would be a top seed in the East would be if Thomas returns to his MVP-caliber self. And if that was to happen, it would be his team, not Klay’s.

I do think that team would be pretty good because we’ve seen what IT can do (under Brad though) with less help. Klay and Love are probably a better duo to accompany him than Avery and Horford. But if nobody thinks our team was good enough last year to truly contend. Why invest in a team like that for the long haul?

Some of these guys on the Cavs are already rapidly approaching being washed up. Jr smith and Kroger will be even worse next year. Love has a ton of Milage and injuries and will be on the wrong side of 30. There wasn't more than 1 or 2 people on this entire blog that thought IT would be good at 32 before his injury. I really can't understand the point of Gilbert wanting to pay the luxury tax for an aging team that would most likely make it to the first or second round of the playoffs. I know it is painful for Cleveland fans to think about going from the finals each year to a rebuild, but it is inevitable. The only chance they had of building a spurs like dynasty was to have Irving stay there and have hit better on their picks of Bennett or Wiggins (and not traded them). Imagine if the team drafted oladipo instead of Bennett and had him learn
Under Lebron?

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the 3 ways are

Doesn't a love, Thompson, Thompson, osman, shumpert and vet min guys cap out at 45 wins? Why wouldn't Cleveland want to rebuild?
I think that is pretty easily a 50 win team.  Klay is a good enough defender he makes up for a lot of IT's deficiencies (remember Klay guards the best guard now allowing Curry to rest on that end more).  Iggy and Tristan are both solid defenders.  IT, Klay, Iggy, and Love are all excellent shooters (again assuming IT regains his form).  That team for the next 3 seasons is a 50 win team and one of the better teams in the East and with the right bounces could end up in the Finals (though ECF is far more likely).  I'd certainly put them on par with teams like the Wizards and Raptors (especially as Lowry ages) and they wouldn't be that far behind Boston (at least until Brown, Tatum, and LAL start hitting their prime).  Now the Sixers or Bucks could certainly take jumps into the elite of the East, but if they don't that Cleveland team would be pretty darn good (though I admittedly am very high on Klay).

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
There's ZERO reason for Golden State to want to do this.  They're already contenders, the players they'd have to give up fit better than Lebron would, and there'd be too much of a headache with Lebron not wanting to defer to KD AND Curry since both of them are better than he is at this stage of his career. 

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

the 3 ways are

I think that is pretty easily a 50 win team.  Klay is a good enough defender he makes up for a lot of IT's deficiencies (remember Klay guards the best guard now allowing Curry to rest on that end more).  Iggy and Tristan are both solid defenders.  IT, Klay, Iggy, and Love are all excellent shooters (again assuming IT regains his form).  That team for the next 3 seasons is a 50 win team and one of the better teams in the East and with the right bounces could end up in the Finals (though ECF is far more likely).  I'd certainly put them on par with teams like the Wizards and Raptors (especially as Lowry ages) and they wouldn't be that far behind Boston (at least until Brown, Tatum, and LAL start hitting their prime).  Now the Sixers or Bucks could certainly take jumps into the elite of the East, but if they don't that Cleveland team would be pretty darn good (though I admittedly am very high on Klay).

This is pretty strange. The only way that makes any sense is if you believe that Thompson is better than Lebron. Iggy is in deep decline and will be in his late 30's. Korver could definitely retire. Jr smith probably should retire and it might make sense for them to amnesty him. Plus they would almost certainly lose Wade who is only there to play with Lebron. they are gonna win close to 50 this year, but somehow they trade out Lebron for Thompson and have another year for their washed up bench and role players and don't miss a beat? Also for what it is worth would be pretty shocking if IT wants to sign there given all the windhorst stuff and how their fans view him (awful and want him traded) do you honestly believe the Cavs wouldn't be better off just drafting a top 8 guy, selling love for a lottery pick and getting a high pick next year? Anything else seems ridiculous

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the 3 ways are

This is pretty strange. The only way that makes any sense is if you believe that Thompson is better than Lebron. Iggy is in deep decline and will be in his late 30's. Korver could definitely retire. Jr smith probably should retire and it might make sense for them to amnesty him. Plus they would almost certainly lose Wade who is only there to play with Lebron. they are gonna win close to 50 this year, but somehow they trade out Lebron for Thompson and have another year for their washed up bench and role players and don't miss a beat? Also for what it is worth would be pretty shocking if IT wants to sign there given all the windhorst stuff and how their fans view him (awful and want him traded) do you honestly believe the Cavs wouldn't be better off just drafting a top 8 guy, selling love for a lottery pick and getting a high pick next year? Anything else seems ridiculous
IT isn't healthy and they now don't have Love.  Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
A team of  IT ...Love and Jae will make Cavs fans " really " happy  I'm sure .... :)

What the Cavs need worst is a Real Coach .