Author Topic: Beasley hammers marcus-no call  (Read 2523 times)

Beasley hammers marcus-no call
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The refs and league bungled that play.There was no reason for that head shot as Marcus finishing the dunk was vulnerable. Morris grabs for rim then he takes head shot and lands without breaking fall.Lying there helpless the Knicks advance ball even after everybody hesitates and Celtics get called for foul with Marcus still down and has to be helped to locker room .Beasley had earlier swiped at Marcus to the head with an elbow and was called for the offensive foul.
The league should review this kind of hit,the league should allow refs to stop play on potential serious injury'
That few minutes of play does not make the league look good after Hayward fall.
That was two head shots by Beasley on Morris.

Re: Beasley hammers marcus-no call
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It was a dirty play, as was Lebron and Crowder's hit on Hayward.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:05 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
there are a couple of inconsistencies in BB officiating that I can point out.

Players slam the ball against their opponent to get an out of bounds call, I believe these plays are potentially dangerous and should be called fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct. I feel a little vindication when the ref called Griffin for a foul when Griffin rifled the ball at him after play stoppage. Why is it a foul to do that to a ref and not your opponent?

Why wasnt Beasley's foul on MM today a breakaway foul? It was a clear path because MM was way ahead of Beasley and he was airborne for a shot without any defendant between him and the basket yet Beasley came from behind to foul him. Breakaway foul, no?

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:12:59 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Both were dirty and flagrants and both were on calls.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:25:14 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The refs and league bungled that play.There was no reason for that head shot as Marcus finishing the dunk was vulnerable. Morris grabs for rim then he takes head shot and lands without breaking fall.Lying there helpless the Knicks advance ball even after everybody hesitates and Celtics get called for foul with Marcus still down and has to be helped to locker room .Beasley had earlier swiped at Marcus to the head with an elbow and was called for the offensive foul.
The league should review this kind of hit,the league should allow refs to stop play on potential serious injury'
That few minutes of play does not make the league look good after Hayward fall.
That was two head shots by Beasley on Morris.

Umm, Beasley did not "swipe" at Morris' head with his elbow. He shot the basketball and going up caught Morris with his elbow. The ESPN guys correctly pointed out it should have been a foul on Morris. Shooting foul is a shooting foul even if you foul the guy with your face.

As for the dirty play it should have been called a foul. He made contact. But it wasn't a dirty play and it wasn't a flagrant foul. The guy was going for the block, realized he couldn't reach it and pulled his arm back in and caught Morris on the head when he was going by. it wasn't  some egregious dirty play. It just looked bad because Morris then lost his balance and hit the floor.

And for gods sake people, the Hayward play wasn't even a common foul. It sucks that these plays injured our guys, but NBA players get injured even on clean plays.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:01:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I thought it was pretty incidental contact but clearly caused the injury.

I feel like something needs to be called. I really don’t think a flagrant was in order, but I’ve seen some more questionable flagrants handed out. At the very least it’s a shooting foul, but whatever.

Unfortunate incident. Hope Morris is okay.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:12:49 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This comes across as a whole lot of whining about a whole lot of nothing.

Did Morris get hit? Yes.

Should it have been called a foul? Yes, but clearly the refs missed it as the only camera angle that really captured the contact was by the basketball sanction.

Was it a flagrant? No, it was simply a freak play.

Should the C's of been called for a foul on the inbounds? Yes, obviously. They were intentionally fouling a player away from the play and by the letter of the law that's an automatic free throw for the opposition.

"Hammers"? Not even close to being accurate.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this was the worst handled flagrant foul non call I've ever seen.

esp. considering during at least one game a week I have to hear jeff van gundy say "it doesn't matter, he hit him in the head... they're going to look at it".

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
At the very least, when someone takes a scary fall and is writhing in pain, the referees should have the ability to freaking stop play and tend to the injured athlete.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:48:35 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Rollie Massimino used to drill us in what was called the" bully move" on how to draw opposing players into a position and use our elbow as an integral part of shot.I think Beasley plays hard basketball and throws himself around offensively with little concern for himself
 I think Beasley on his attempted block was intent on a hard payback foul because the ball had just been stolen from him by Morris.

The NBA has enough players down -i'm not a fan of watching players land out of control after two point dunks
.Jaylen and Rozier got to be taught the fine art of landing.Recently Ojeleye and Theis have had hard falls
.Kyrie and Theis have had to wear masks and Horford was concussed offensive players are expert a clearing space using the" illusion" of integral to the shot.

TP to jumping judkins

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
As for the dirty play it should have been called a foul. He made contact. But it wasn't a dirty play and it wasn't a flagrant foul. The guy was going for the block, realized he couldn't reach it and pulled his arm back in and caught Morris on the head when he was going by. it wasn't  some egregious dirty play. It just looked bad because Morris then lost his balance and hit the floor.

It may not have been intended to cause an injury, but at the very least it was reckless and stupid. Beasley had no chance of blocking that shot. And he actually caused the injury - if you watch the replay, the reason Morris fell is that Beasley hits him in the head after the dunk and jars his hands loose from the rim. If Beasley doesn't hit Morris, Morris holds on to the rim and has a safe, controlled fall.

It really wasn't a basketball play, anyway; Beasley hit Morris after the ball went through the hoop. He also hit him from behind in the restricted area. The league should discourage this kind of play - the same way it discourages breakaway fouls and defenders undercutting jump shooters. Honestly, I'm a little surprised this isn't already a breakaway foul or a dead ball foul, which would give the offensive player's team a free throw and the ball.

It definitely should have been a flagrant foul - his elbow hit Morris in the head. I've seen flagrants called when a shooter tries to rip through a defender to get a shot off and contacts the defender's head. If *that's* a flagrant, this stupid play by Beasley was definitely a flagrant. Morris was defenseless, in a vulnerable position, and got hit from behind after he had scored.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:23:37 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Just watched the replay. It looks like Beasley clips Morris in the head with his arm pit on the way by. Probably should've been a foul but I don't see how you could call that dirty.

I think, too often, people look at the result of the play and want someone to blame but the truth is if Beasley had done the exact same thing but Morris had gotten his feet under him and landed softly, no one would be complaining about this.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:58:13 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Just watched the reply. It looks like Beasley clips Morris in the head with his arm pit on the way by. Probably should've been a foul but I don't see how you could call that dirty.

I think, too often, people look at the result of the play and want someone to blame but the truth is if Beasley had done the exact same thing but Morris had gotten his feet under him and landed softly, no one would be complaining about this.

I think the contact caused the injury - Morris looks like he's going to be able to hang on the rim long enough to control his momentum, then he gets hit and is jarred loose.

Hitting a guy from behind after he already scored might not be intentionally malicious, but at a minimum it's a stupid, non-basketball play. Beasley is always a little out of control; this was like the guy in the pickup game nobody wants to play against because he's likely to get you hurt by sliding under you or crashing into you.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
The foul wasn't intentional, but it should have been a flagrant. These guys are extremely coordinated and it's reasonable to expect them to avoid dangerous contact in high-speed situations like this. It was a stupid + reckless play that resulted in a hard hit to the head and an injury. Most players in the league will go their whole career without ever causing a situation like that.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Lebron didnt do anything dirty on that play at all.

What Crowder did was a bit dirty but far from egregious.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.