Author Topic: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder  (Read 10007 times)

Re: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I rather have a proven player even its a rental than having a 29th pick player who may be a bust or spend lot of time in Maine

Many GMs have failed with that exact logic. With the NBA's current salary cap situation the smart teams build the end of their bench with cheap late first round picks, 2nd round flyers and min cost FAs. Look at the Spurs roster, the warriors bench (Looney, Bell McCaw) or what DA is currently doing. The Cavs are a prime example of the flawed logic of taking the sure thing and not using the draft pick. This creates a team of aging vets on the bench with ever growing salaries.

It is really important to build talent in order to sustain winning.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I rather have a proven player even its a rental than having a 29th pick player who may be a bust or spend lot of time in Maine

Many GMs have failed with that exact logic. With the NBA's current salary cap situation the smart teams build the end of their bench with cheap late first round picks, 2nd round flyers and min cost FAs. Look at the Spurs roster, the warriors bench (Looney, Bell McCaw) or what DA is currently doing. The Cavs are a prime example of the flawed logic of taking the sure thing and not using the draft pick. This creates a team of aging vets on the bench with ever growing salaries.

I agree with this to an extent. But when your bench in comprised of mostly players on rookie contracts, or players who don't even belong on a NBA roster, it's a smart move to add a veteran or two, especially when they are vets under 30.

You talk about the Spurs, but actually look at the Spurs roster, their bench is a mix of young and old.

The Celtics have an over-abundance of youth. They really do need a few more vets ready to 'win now'.

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't think we need to keep the pick, but I think we should avoid using it now
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree with this to an extent. But when your bench in comprised of mostly players on rookie contracts, or players who don't even belong on a NBA roster, it's a smart move to add a veteran or two, especially when they are vets under 30.

You talk about the Spurs, but actually look at the Spurs roster, their bench is a mix of young and old.

The Celtics have an over-abundance of youth. They really do need a few more vets ready to 'win now'.
Exactly. The time for the continuation of drafting end of the draft players is over. We have 3 possible top 18 picks coming in the next 2-3 years with the Lakers/Sac pick, the Memphis pick and the Clippers pick. The late round Celtic picks are now trade fodder to upgrade the talent on the team, and especially the bench. We are too young on the bench right now. We need proven talent with consistent skills, like rebounding and shooting. Just no need to keep this year's pick, especially if Danny feels that adding a couple of vets could give this team a shot at a title.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:09:07 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 01:26:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
First domino has fallen (Monroe). Now will be interesting to see if he pursues Evans (or Lou Will) and what he gives up to acquire either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
First domino has fallen (Monroe). Now will be interesting to see if he pursues Evans (or Lou Will) and what he gives up to acquire either.
I think Evans for a player and 2018 first can happen.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

That makes sense and sounds most logical.

Depends on Ainge though and how he feels about this draft overall too.

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 01:36:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That makes sense and sounds most logical.

Depends on Ainge though and how he feels about this draft overall too.
Well, now that we've used up the DPE, we can think about packaging Smart + Yabusele + picks and getting a player who is signed past 2018 and makes ~8-10 million. Though not sure who's an option there...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
If Danny really, really, wants a first round pick in 2018 he can probably buy one on Draft Night.

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t think Danny is too fussed about a pick 26-30. We don’t need more rookies
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

It is really important to build talent in order to sustain winning

I call BS on your logic.   There are few teams that guys picked late who are gems, most are scrubs.   For every Kyle Kuzma and Draymond Green  there are like 15 guys who are in the D-league.    Green and Kuzma are not the norm they are exceptional outliers.

Looney

Kevin Looney with his   3.1 PPG and 2.6 RPG?    Are you sober?  Because he is not a not much of an impact player.   Bell is a  lot better prospect.  McCaw is another laughable person   with 3.9 PPG and 1.5 RPG.   

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/looneke01.html

Since you brought up the word logic, wouldn't a vet produce more than these picks?   The answer is yes.   It is also the logical thing to try to win when the window is open. 

Also, don't worry about a steady stream of youth because we have Trader Danny who traded PP and KG.   He won't have a hard time parting ways if he thinks he can set us in the future with our present roster.

Pick#   Gms   Min         Pts  Reb  Ast          Star   Solid  RoleP  DeepB   Bust  DNP

30       20     250   14.1   5.2   2.6      5%   10%   25%     25%   15%   20%
31   20      146   12.1   4.1   1.9         5%   25%     25%        30%   15%
32   20   152           11.7   4.0   1.6           5%           15%    40%    35% 5%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mccawpa01.html

As you can see all your hum drum is much ado about nothing, our pick would have about a 5% chance to be a star, the odds are about one in four that we might fine a role player and the odds  are that player will be a deep bench player or bust.

These are not your high drama hyperbole but actual stats.  Please not that this sample was a twenty year sample from 1989-2008.  The odds are very good that  this pick will help the D league more than us.   

Logic is concerned with facts and correct reasoning this makes your claiming flawed logic by other GMs something that I am skeptical of in all honesty.

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm not that worried about a pick in the 25-30 range. The likelihood is that player will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

people always remember the very rare hits but ignore the HUNDREDS of misses.

The point is that there are hits, how ever rare they might be.  If you do hit that guy is under your control for at least 7 seasons.

This is versus trading that chance for a rental veteran to maybe slightly increase your chance of making the NBA finals.

For an example, look at Cleveland and how they probably wish they didn't trade a late 1st for Korver.

OP is on point here and that pick should only move if it for a player under control at a reasonable price for another year.

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm not that worried about a pick in the 25-30 range. The likelihood is that player will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

people always remember the very rare hits but ignore the HUNDREDS of misses.

The point is that there are hits, how ever rare they might be.  If you do hit that guy is under your control for at least 7 seasons.

This is versus trading that chance for a rental veteran to maybe slightly increase your chance of making the NBA finals.

For an example, look at Cleveland and how they probably wish GM Lebron didn't force them to trade a late 1st for Korver.

OP is on point here and that pick should only move if it for a player under control at a reasonable price for another year.

FTFY.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If Danny really, really, wants a first round pick in 2018 he can probably buy one on Draft Night.

I thought that only applied to 2nd round picks?

Or have I been thinking wrong my whole life?  :o

How does buying a pick worth and how much is spent on one?

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I thought that only applied to 2nd round picks?

Or have I been thinking wrong my whole life?  :o

How does buying a pick worth and how much is spent on one?
Celtics bought the pick from Phoenix in the first round that got us Rondo. You can buy any pick.