Author Topic: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder  (Read 10013 times)

Re: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 11:57:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Is that late 1st even enough to get Evans?

Rumor is there are multiple teams making offers. Our pick is 2nd to last right now in the first round

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
We have enough projects.  If the pick can be swapped for somebody who adds significant value to this team, I’m all for it. 

I’d be more protective of a pick that has a chance to be elite.  LA/SAC, maybe MEM.  But you want our first?  You want our LAC pick?  Let’s talk.  We have a legitimate shot at getting to the Finals this year, and that means we have a puncher’s chance at a title.  I know it’s rewarding to watch kids develop, but keep the ultimate goal in mind.

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Is that late 1st even enough to get Evans?

Rumor is there are multiple teams making offers. Our pick is 2nd to last right now in the first round

It might be. Also depends on what player/prospect we have to give up.

Idk maybe Ainge could throw a random future 2nd rounder too?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It’s interesing that the Pelicans are very interested in both Tyreke AND Monroe (according to ESPN). One might have thought that they would be having a fire sale after the Cousins injury, but it appears they are doubling down. Those two players would get a lot of plying time for that team and may once again give them solid playoff hopes.

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 09:42:24 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
It’s interesing that the Pelicans are very interested in both Tyreke AND Monroe (according to ESPN). One might have thought that they would be having a fire sale after the Cousins injury, but it appears they are doubling down. Those two players would get a lot of plying time for that team and may once again give them solid playoff hopes.
Tyreke liked his time in NO and Monroe is from NO and would start there. I see Monroe going to NO so he can play for a contract not a ring. He can go for a ring next year if he does not get a contract.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Tyreke liked his time in NO and Monroe is from NO and would start there. I see Monroe going to NO so he can play for a contract not a ring. He can go for a ring next year if he does not get a contract.

Monroe could sign here for 8.4M, then re-sign here for 10-11M next season, and in essence would be paid 17.5M/Year for the next two years (already got around 17.8M from PHO I believe). Hope he really loves the idea of coming here.

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Monroe could sign here for 8.4M, then re-sign here for 10-11M next season, and in essence would be paid 17.5M/Year for the next two years (already got around 17.8M from PHO I believe). Hope he really loves the idea of coming here.

Stevens is going to have to sell him on his role.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
No, Ainge does not need to get creative to keep the pick.  I hope he trades it to help us out this year or next year with a veteran player.

This team does not need any more young projects.  We are going into championship mode and need a rotation of veterans.

I find the premise of this thread completely ridiculous.  We have a win now team and we need to take advantage of that and make win now moves.

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Stevens is going to have to sell him on his role.

True, seems like the Pelicans are becoming legitimate threats to nab him, with the promise of an abundant amount of playing time.

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No, Ainge does not need to get creative to keep the pick.  I hope he trades it to help us out this year or next year with a veteran player.

This team does not need any more young projects.  We are going into championship mode and need a rotation of veterans.

I find the premise of this thread completely ridiculous.  We have a win now team and we need to take advantage of that and make win now moves.
Yup.  In fact, even if Ainge cannot trade the pick for Evans or someone else, I’d prefer he just sell it for cash than to actually draft someone.  Don’t want the pick at all regardless of if we get the laker pick or not.

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 06:45:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge would hesitate dealing the 2018 Boston First because if he does, the Celtics will have ZERO draft picks come June in what is expected to be a deep and intriguing draft.

They hype every draft as deep and intriguing.   The reality is that there are a few guys who are studs in most draft years and a bunch of duds and role players.

Our pick is going to be a low one.  So potential title run or add another Nader caliber player I would deal the pick and make a title run.   Your draft argument is not convincing.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ainge would hesitate dealing the 2018 Boston First because if he does, the Celtics will have ZERO draft picks come June in what is expected to be a deep and intriguing draft.

They hype every draft as deep and intriguing.   The reality is that there are a few guys who are studs in most draft years and a bunch of duds and role players.

Our pick is going to be a low one.  So potential title run or add another Nader caliber player I would deal the pick and make a title run.   Your draft argument is not convincing.
Cmon now. We won’t draft anyone as useless as Nader in the first round ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We won’t draft anyone as useless as Nader in the first round

Fab Melo is looking down in high heaven and disagreeing with you.

MarShon Brooks, J. R. Giddens were both late firsts.  James Young is a mid rounder that did not pan out.  R. J. Hunter was a late first.   So your wrong we could easily get someone as bad as Nader.   Not to mention guys like Zizic and Yabusele who are still works in progress but look like reaches at present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I both agree and disagree with the OP.

I am sure DA will be creative in any deadline deal and the first pick he will offer up will be the Clippers lottery protected 2019 1st.

As for keeping this years pick I agree that it would be nice to retain one pick in this draft. Where I disagree is with this classes depth. I am comfortable that the top 12 players in this draft have the talent and skill sets to make it as at least rotational players. Not diving to deep into it but those are the following guys

Ayton
Bagely
Porter JR
Young
Doncic
Bamba
Jackson JR
Miles Bridges
Carter
Mikal Bridges
Sexton
R Williams

After that group of 12 I see a group of roughly 30 prospects who lack a lot of separation. With a pick in the late 20s the Cs two best options are likely to be going with a big man project like the following

Mitchell Robinson
Brandon McCoy
Jontay Porter
Austin Wiliey

or to go with a highly productive college up clansmen with a perceived low ceiling like

Grayson Allen
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Jevon Carter
Keita Bates-Diop (my favorite)

point being that this grouping isn't that different from the players available in the mid second of some of the deeper draft classes.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I rather have a proven player even its a rental than having a 29th pick player who may be a bust or spend lot of time in Maine
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin