Author Topic: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder  (Read 10010 times)

Re: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not that worried about a pick in the 25-30 range. The likelihood is that player will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

I'd still want to at least have a chance instead of having zero chance.

I'd rather take the shot at getting the player that can contribute right now. You only get so many opportunities to truly contend, you shouldn't be passing them up for the 1/4 chance a late first round pick might actually pan out.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:03 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm not that worried about a pick in the 25-30 range. The likelihood is that player will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

people always remember the very rare hits but ignore the HUNDREDS of misses.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Eh. The pick is likely going to be in the late 20's, drafting a player there means guaranteed salary (our tax situation is going to be interesting moving forward) and yet another young guy needing to be developed (the roster spot may be better served on a veteran that's ready to contribute to a playoff team).

I'm okay with giving it up.

Late firsts can be very valubale if the guy turns out to be a roattin player. Rotation players can cost you alot more than a late first gets making them useful for close to the cap teams. But you gotta nail the pick. Its a tough choice eitehr way.

Sure they can, but said player is not going to get a lot of opportunity to see the floor unless he's ready to contribute meaningful minutes. If this was the Celtics circa 2011 and the team was full of older guys, I'd be 100% on board with keeping the pick at all costs. But our core is young already. We've got Jayson, Jaylen, and even Rozier (heck, you could aad Theis to that list too) already needing minutes - minutes they've earned - to keep developing.

I've seen enough of our questionable bench play this season to know we can't just have young guys like Nader, Semi, and Yabu backing up already young guys in Tatum and Brown. You need some vets to balance that out.

Ya man not even saying I disagree with you, just playing devil's advocate. Its what do you think is more valuable, half a year and a playoff run with Tyreke Evans? Or 4+ years of a young cheap player without knowing how good they will be? Its a tough call. I'd probably go get Tyreke, we can goa  year without a pick because we'll have at least two, maybe as many as four in 2019. Or maybe we offer them our 2019 pick instead.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 11:04:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'd rather take the shot at getting the player that can contribute right now. You only get so many opportunities to truly contend, you shouldn't be passing them up for the 1/4 chance a late first round pick might actually pan out.

I owe you a TP in an hour.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 11:04:28 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Id say goodbye to that pick in a nano second if it lands us Evans.
The only pick im interested in is the Fakers pick conveying..if it does not then its going to Memphis for reek.
We have so much bunch of rookies that Ainge always gets it wrong in these late ist rounders..see RJ hunter, Yabu Giddens etc. Etc.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I owe you a TP in an hour.

And here is one for you

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Eh. The pick is likely going to be in the late 20's, drafting a player there means guaranteed salary (our tax situation is going to be interesting moving forward) and yet another young guy needing to be developed (the roster spot may be better served on a veteran that's ready to contribute to a playoff team).

Late firsts can be very valubale if the guy turns out to be a roattin player. Rotation players can cost you alot more than a late first gets making them useful for close to the cap teams. But you gotta nail the pick. Its a tough choice eitehr way.

Sure they can, but said player is not going to get a lot of opportunity to see the floor unless he's ready to contribute meaningful minutes. If this was the Celtics circa 2011 and the team was full of older guys, I'd be 100% on board with keeping the pick at all costs. But our core is young already. We've got Jayson, Jaylen, and even Rozier (heck, you could aad Theis to that list too) already needing minutes - minutes they've earned - to keep developing.

I've seen enough of our questionable bench play this season to know we can't just have young guys like Nader, Semi, and Yabu backing up already young guys in Tatum and Brown. You need some vets to balance that out.

Ya man not even saying I disagree with you, just playing devil's advocate. Its what do you think is more valuable, half a year and a playoff run with Tyreke Evans? Or 4+ years of a young cheap player without knowing how good they will be? Its a tough call. I'd probably go get Tyreke, we can goa  year without a pick because we'll have at least two, maybe as many as four in 2019. Or maybe we offer them our 2019 pick instead.

It depends. Although they are struggling mightily on defense and are dealing with injuries, I guess history still shows us Lebron turning it on in the playoffs and having the ability to drag CLE to the Finals again.

Won't be easy at all, especially with a much improved East, but it could still make you a bit wary about going "all in" on a playoff run by dealing away a late first. Toronto did it last year for Ibaka I believe.

Again, I'm only talking about this year's 2018 1st and suggesting they offer other assets instead for flexibility. I'd love to add Evans + Monroe (via DPE).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 11:13:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Absolutely no need to keep the Boston 2018 pick. Deep drafts don't mean you will find a good player at pick 27-30. It just means there's an oh so slightly larger chance you might find someone who could actually get some rotational minutes sometime during his four year guaranteed deal. I mean lets take a look at all the picks the Cs have had in the 20s recently

Ante Zizic
RJ Hunter
Jared Sullinger
Fab Melo
JaJuan Johnson
JR Giddens

With youth like Smart, Rozier, Brown, Theis, Tatum and Ojeleye already in the rotation and Yabusele, Nader, Allen and Bird in the pipeline, the Celtics do not need more youth. They need the quality and experience a veteran role player can bring by trading that pick. And if Danny feels adding an Evans and Monroe gives them a shot at a title this year, you trade that pick without even thinking about getting creative and jeopardizing the deal

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 11:25:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

It depends. Although they are struggling mightily on defense and are dealing with injuries, I guess history still shows us Lebron turning it on in the playoffs and having the ability to drag CLE to the Finals again.

Won't be easy at all, especially with a much improved East, but it could still make you a bit wary about going "all in" on a playoff run by dealing away a late first. Toronto did it last year for Ibaka I believe.

Again, I'm only talking about this year's 2018 1st and suggesting they offer other assets instead for flexibility. I'd love to add Evans + Monroe (via DPE).

Ya, and to be fair I'm not sure adding Tyreke guarantees we make it out of the east. And even if we do the Warriors are waiting. I agree with your general premise, try to keep the pick if we can, but if push comes to shove lets go for it.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Ya, and to be fair I'm not sure adding Tyreke guarantees we make it out of the east. And even if we do the Warriors are waiting. I agree with your general premise, try to keep the pick if we can, but if push comes to shove lets go for it.

Some reports say teams have offered MEM a first rounder for Tyreke, but others say that's not the case. Tough to tell.

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 11:34:49 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Absolutely no need to keep the Boston 2018 pick. Deep drafts don't mean you will find a good player at pick 27-30. It just means there's an oh so slightly larger chance you might find someone who could actually get some rotational minutes sometime during his four year guaranteed deal. I mean lets take a look at all the picks the Cs have had in the 20s recently

Ante Zizic
RJ Hunter
Jared Sullinger
Fab Melo
JaJuan Johnson
JR Giddens

With youth like Smart, Rozier, Brown, Theis, Tatum and Ojeleye already in the rotation and Yabusele, Nader, Allen and Bird in the pipeline, the Celtics do not need more youth. They need the quality and experience a veteran role player can bring by trading that pick. And if Danny feels adding an Evans and Monroe gives them a shot at a title this year, you trade that pick without even thinking about getting creative and jeopardizing the deal

Id go out on a limb and say Ainge is pretty stupid if the hold up is trying to keep that 2018 Boston 1st.

Ainge gets his homework right with lottery picks but his mid or late first rounders are terrible. He has a better track record with his second rounders...go figure.

Tyreke is a definite no brainer in exchange for any future late 1st or 2nd rounders

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
 Let's be real, it's a late first.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Our only one too...

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 11:50:23 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Our only one too...

Which really doesn't matter, given the amount of young depth we have.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 11:51:23 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Just make a deal pertaining to their 1st rounder we have. Instead of being top 10 protected make it top 13 protected and they give us Evans.