Author Topic: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder  (Read 9953 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If we assume the Lakers Pick won't convey this summer (which it likely won't, unfortunately), then the Celtics will ONLY have one draft pick this upcoming summer, their own 2018 1st rounder.

Their second rounder will likely go to OKC assuming it lands 56-60, and that's where it looks like it will land.

I'm all for adding Tyreke Evans OR Lou Williams via trade, and then signing Monroe using DPE, but I think Ainge would hesitate dealing the 2018 Boston First because if he does, the Celtics will have ZERO draft picks come June in what is expected to be a deep and intriguing draft. 

That's why I think Ainge will have to get CREATIVE in a potential Evans trade. Maybe he offers a player (Yabusele), the 2019 Boston 1st OR 2019 Clippers lottery-protected first, and a future 2nd rounder in 2020? Something like that?

There's a GREAT chance we'll have multiple picks conveying in 2019 with the Kings Pick, and possibly even the Grizzlies and Clippers picks (and that's not even mentioning our very own 2019 First), so they have some luxury to deal one of the non-Kings Pick in 2019 in a trade, but they don't really have that luxury for 2018.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Ainge Needs To Get Creative & KEEP The 2018 Boston First Rounder
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Eh. The pick is likely going to be in the late 20's, drafting a player there means guaranteed salary (our tax situation is going to be interesting moving forward) and yet another young guy needing to be developed (the roster spot may be better served on a veteran that's ready to contribute to a playoff team).

I'm okay with giving it up.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why do we need a draft pick..... go for broke NOW!!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Eh. The pick is likely going to be in the late 20's, drafting a player there means guaranteed salary (our tax situation is going to be interesting moving forward) and yet another young guy needing to be developed (the roster spot may be better served on a veteran that's ready to contribute to a playoff team).

Me too. We have a lot of rookies right now.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I mean I never explicitly stated that they shouldn't make moves, but I think Ainge should get a little creative here and give us flexibility in terms of draft pick options for 2018 AND 2019.

Would suck not to have a single draft pick in this draft.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Plus we'll be getting that Lakers pick this year or Kings next year plus our own pick next year. Unless DA needs to keep that pick so he can make that Davis deal.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Plus we'll be getting that Lakers pick this year or Kings next year plus our own pick next year. Unless DA needs to keep that pick so he can make that Davis deal.

If it weren't for AD's salary, I would love to get him, but I don't think it's worth gutting our team for him just to match salaries and all anymore.  :(

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Late firsts can be very valubale if the guy turns out to be a roattin player. Rotation players can cost you alot more than a late first gets making them useful for close to the cap teams. But you gotta nail the pick. Its a tough choice eitehr way.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:51:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
This was a cool article: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/celtics-trade-rumors-news-marcus-smart-contract-free-agency-draft-pick-julius-randle-rodney-hood/k3r8qz4gs16u1e0d2gprlqbl4

Yeah I saw that article earlier. Good read.

I've been pretty high on Randle, though I wonder if Lakers would even trade him here  :P

Anyways, I think Smart isn't traded and Ainge re-signs him for lower than expected this July.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not that worried about a pick in the 25-30 range. The likelihood is that player will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This was a cool article: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/celtics-trade-rumors-news-marcus-smart-contract-free-agency-draft-pick-julius-randle-rodney-hood/k3r8qz4gs16u1e0d2gprlqbl4

Yeah I saw that article earlier. Good read.

I've been pretty high on Randle, though I wonder if Lakers would even trade him here  :P

Anyways, I think Smart isn't traded and Ainge re-signs him for lower than expected this July.

Randle would greatly benefit from playing for BS. Getting him as a restricted free agent is a plus. The Lakers will have to get rid of him and more to make there two big free agents play work. Our pick this year would or next would be a good price to pay to pick up Randle.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not that worried about a pick in the 25-30 range. The likelihood is that player will be out of the league before their rookie contract is up.

I'd still want to at least have a chance instead of having zero chance.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:04 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Okay, but its a near certainty that Tyreke Evans will only be on the Celtics for the rest of the year. Its easy to say 25-30 doesn't matter until you pick Jimmy Butler or Kyle Kuzma.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Late firsts can be very valubale if the guy turns out to be a roattin player. Rotation players can cost you alot more than a late first gets making them useful for close to the cap teams. But you gotta nail the pick. Its a tough choice eitehr way.

Sure they can, but said player is not going to get a lot of opportunity to see the floor unless he's ready to contribute meaningful minutes. If this was the Celtics circa 2011 and the team was full of older guys, I'd be 100% on board with keeping the pick at all costs. But our core is young already. We've got Jayson, Jaylen, and even Rozier (heck, you could aad Theis to that list too) already needing minutes - minutes they've earned - to keep developing.

I've seen enough of our questionable bench play this season to know we can't just have young guys like Nader, Semi, and Yabu backing up already young guys in Tatum and Brown. You need some vets to balance that out.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman