Author Topic: Are there any Smart fans left?  (Read 3616 times)

Re: Are there any Smart fans left?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
While he can be a good defender, he also makes at least 3 stupid mistakes a game that usually hurts Boston. Couple this with his off court antics, I would not resign him and put that money into someone else in the offseason.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Yep big fan, if you like winning I can't see why you wouldn't be a fan but I dunno, maybe he is killing peoples fanatsy leagues or something.
Or people just play too much video games.

Reactionary hot takes never ceased to amaze me.

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yep big fan, if you like winning I can't see why you wouldn't be a fan but I dunno, maybe he is killing peoples fanatsy leagues or something.
Or people just play too much video games.

Reactionary hot takes never ceased to amaze me.
I wonder if Smart is playing video games right now.

Sounds to me like he had a hot take reaction a couple days ago when he messed up his hand.

It's pretty sad when as a condition of employment you have to have a mental management plan

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
We have a "Are there any Rozier fans left" thread so this deserves one too.

Smart is playing defense at home against the TV, while Rozier is getting a triple double.

Smart's gone for Tyreke or something anyway in all likelihood
Lol.

He is one of the best and most versatile defenders in the league and has a plus-3.0 net rating. The dude is an animal.

There is no way in HELL Ainge trades him for Tyreke freaking Evans.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
We have a "Are there any Rozier fans left" thread so this deserves one too.

Smart is playing defense at home against the TV, while Rozier is getting a triple double.

Smart's gone for Tyreke or something anyway in all likelihood
Lol.

He is one of the best and most versatile defenders in the league and has a plus-3.0 net rating. The dude is an animal.

There is no way in HELL Ainge trades him for Tyreke freaking Evans.
And a rental of Tyreke Evans, at that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
He’s the new Tony Allen.

Probably forcing people to punt FG% in fantasy lol

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Terry had a good game.  There's 82 games.  Smart does this.

Stop getting it twisted, people.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
My issue with Smart is how limited he is on one side of the court and how it doesn't seem like he's improved even a little there. He's really good in the pick and roll if hes able to dump it off to the runner.

For a guy that supposedly has a high basketball IQ you'd think he'd be able to do more for the team on the offensive end.

I find Smart to be a pretty avg NBA player who's real positive on the court is the ability to switch on the defensive end 1-4

He's a dirt dog so he has some rabid fans but I think if we're being honest with ourselves Smart is without a doubt one of the most upgradeable (I like making up words) pieces of this core.
ok fine

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 03:39:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
At this point, my absolute best offer for Smart is 4/50M (basically what Olynyk got).

Love Smart, and he is someone who makes winning plays, but the reality is, he just isn't a great shooter and doesn't seem to have improved a ton there. At least KO could shoot well despite how annoyingly soft he could be inside the paint  :P

Frankly, I'm not sure there are many other teams who would offer more than 4/50M for Smart as is, due to many teams not having the cap space, and them also looking at Smart's shooting numbers I suppose.

Of course, maybe Smart comes back and goes on to average like 20-25 PPG for the rest of the year and into the playoffs to prove me wrong, but it's unlikely.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I just read a rumor on SI that that Orlando are exploring the possibility of trading Aaron Gordon. Smart for Gordon works in the trade machine. If Boston isn't going to resign Marcus getting Gordon could be a nice pickup.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »

Offline lrybrd

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Anyone else notice how improved our offense has been (especially our second unit) since Marcus has been out?  Much better ball movement and better shots.  Starting to think that Marcus is just another player that thrives in CBS's system and will flounder elsewhere (i.e., Crowder, Turner, IT, Bradley).

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 10:24:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I like Smart and think he proved his value while he was out.

Yet have you ever noticed that when the Celts win and the other team's star guard/swing man does badly Smart gets the credit, but whenever the Celts lose and the other team's star guard has a great night Smart never gets the blame?

Pepridge Farms has noticed.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, in games against Oladipo where Smart was Dipo's primary defender, Oladipo has scored 27 and 38 points. Yet there seem to be a lot of excuses for that.

I'm not a Smart hater. I just don't see the impact he brings that others do. Even in the 11 games he missed the Cs went 6-5 while just about every player hit a wall and played poorly. Even if Smart was there, that doesn't mean the Horford, Kyrie, Brown, Tatum and others would suddenly not have looked like they had hit a wall.

Hope the Cs keep Smart at around the MLE or less, but if he is asking more than $10 million a year, you gotta let him go. He just isn't worth that money given how much he would put us into the luxury tax

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I like Smart and think he proved his value while he was out.

Yet have you ever noticed that when the Celts win and the other team's star guard/swing man does badly Smart gets the credit, but whenever the Celts lose and the other team's star guard has a great night Smart never gets the blame?

Pepridge Farms has noticed.
This is such a dumb thread to bring up after today. Why would Smart ever deserve the blame after tonight? He kept them in the game while missing 3 starters. He had 20 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals, and 6/12 3s. I don't know why you would bring this up lol
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 11:18:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It's weird because Smart is, I guess, a point guard but he's better defending shooting guards. He doesn't have the quickness of someone like Rozier or Avery Bradley. But against shooting guards and even small forwards, he can stay with them and he's so strong and so long he's a beast.

He knows where he's supposed to be and his effort level is as high as anyone in the league which goes a long way. Getting him for $10 mil a year would be nice, I think.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008