Author Topic: Monroe Buyout / Signing with Celtics (merged threads)  (Read 36199 times)

Re: Breaking: Buyout reached with Greg Monroe
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2018, 11:50:07 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Would Monroe start?

Or provide offense off the bench?

Kyrie.       Rozier
Jaylen.     Smart
Tatum.       Tyreke
Horford.     Morris
Monroe.      Baynes

Please Danny give up the 2019 BOS 1st rd pick and Yabusele for Tyreke, please, pretty please!!! Give Monroe the money (all of the DPE) and playing time he desires.

line up :

Kyrie.      Rozier.     Larkin
Brown.    Smart.     Nader
Tatum.    Tyreke.    Hayward
Horford.  Morris.    Semi
Theis.      Monroe.  Baynes

Flawless roster (sharpshooter) ready to bring home banner 18!!! 

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:53 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I am all for signing Monroe and starting him in place of Baynes. Monroe is easily twice the player Baynes is.

I’d have him play more minutes than Baynes, but I’d bring him in from the bench to give it another scorer.

Especially if you don’t get someone like Reke or Williams in conjunction with Monroe.

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2018, 01:12:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Woj updated his article, it revolves around the Celtics now https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/958907611579142144

Center Greg Monroe has agreed to a contract buyout with the Phoenix Suns, clearing the way for him to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources told ESPN.

The Celtics will be one of several contending teams with an interest in signing Monroe, league sources said. Boston can use part of its $8.4 million disabled player exception gained after the Gordon Hayward injury to sign Monroe.

I wonder if its possible for danny  to split  the DPE ... To hoping another waiver wire cut can come? Give monroe $5 mill and save $3.4 mill incase another person gets cut

Imagine if noel gets cut and we can nab noel as well with the remaining dpe amount. We would be almost unstoppable
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:17:23 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2018, 02:04:28 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/01/greg-monroe-dpe-boston-celtics-buyout-nba-trade-deadline-phoenix-suns/

Usa today makes the argument that monroes buyout makes things a little more complicated for the Evans sweepstakes, as his buyout was a little earlier than the trade deadline

The timing of Monroe’s buyout isn’t ideal for Boston. His availability may push the team to use the DPE prior to the passing of the trade deadline, giving them one less tool to use while constructing deals with other teams.

Terry Rozier triple-doubles notwithstanding, Boston has continuously noted that they are looking for more shooting and playmaking at the deadline. They are in the mix for Tyreke Evans, but they would likely have to go against their recent precedent and cough up a first-rounder to bring him in for a near-guaranteed rental.

The timing becomes problematic as Boston jockeys for position in the Tyreke Evans race. He’s the hottest commodity on the market this year, with his non-bird rights meaning no team can dive over the cap — and into the tax — to sign him. Teams that want to keep him beyond this season will be limited to the MLE, including Boston.

Evans is scoring nearly 20 points per game for the Memphis Grizzlies and is now being held out of games until he is traded, according to Woj. The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor reports multiple teams have already offered a first-rounder for Evans and that the Celtics are joined by the Philadelphia 76ers, New Orleans Pelicans, Milwaukee Bucks and Denver Nuggets in their interest for Evans.

Boston is sitting on the LaKings pick and Memphis’ protected future first as untouchable picks, but they can offer their own first-rounder for the foreseeable future and a lotteryu-protected Clippers pick in 2019. These are disposable when presented with a player that can make a material difference in getting to the Finals. Evans seems to fit that bill.

The Celtics have gotten a lot from their regular rotations bigs and integrating Monroe on both ends of the court may throw a wrench into a currently thriving rotation. Boston needs to determine if adding him is worth upsetting the apple cart. It won’t be surprising if they conclude it is.

That’s not the most problematic reality. The Celtics would be happy to land a player of Monroe’s caliber with the DPE. The opportunity cost of not having it available while pursuing potential trade candidates isn’t zero, but it’s also not outrageously high. The concern is that Monroe would not be willing to wait until after the trade deadline next Thursday, looking to strike on a more lucrative deal while the market is open.

In other news
 cavs fans are telling themselves that Greg monroe is garbage after finding out they can't offer him much of anything lol
http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/trade-deadline-feb-8-at-3-00-est.48584/page-84#post-2916562

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2018, 02:21:59 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Who has cap space to claim him?

Would the Pacers make a run?

Pacers don't have cap space to claim him. They can make a run at him once he clears waivers, but we offer 1.) a winning situation. 2.) more money via DPE

Ah, right you are, noone has cap space!

Is it possible to find out how much of his 17 million owed he agreed to reduce? I read somewhere he has already been paid around 10mill for this year.

Am I right in thinking the ONLY way we don't get him is if he prefers to go to a contender (or, I guess a non-contender) for the vet min?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 02:30:04 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Pacers don't have cap space to claim him. They can make a run at him once he clears waivers, but we offer 1.) a winning situation. 2.) more money via DPE

Is it possible to find out how much of his 17 million owed he agreed to reduce? I read somewhere he has already been paid around 10mill for this year.

Am I right in thinking the ONLY way we don't get him is if he prefers to go to a contender (or, I guess a non-contender) for the vet min?
I'm thinking the only way he doesn't come is if he thinks he won't get enough Starter minutes with us. We Can definitely offer him allot of minutes and maybe some starts... He will have to earn them here though. Monroe and horford frontcourt can be fun.

In theory, he can get the most money, a good shot at a ring, and many quality minutes  at the 5. Can't ask for more... We are the 1 seed in the east.

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2018, 03:29:57 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I'm thinking the only way he doesn't come is if he thinks he won't get enough Starter minutes with us. We Can definitely offer him allot of minutes and maybe some starts... He will have to earn them here though. Monroe and horford frontcourt can be fun.

In theory, he can get the most money, a good shot at a ring, and many quality minutes  at the 5. Can't ask for more... We are the 1 seed in the east.

Ya that's the one thing. Dnt forget he is gonna be looking for a contract this summer, alot easier to get a big deal if he gets big minutes to put up numbers. Would he be fine just getting 15-20 a night like Baynes does? I dont know.

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2018, 06:05:44 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14

Ya that's the one thing. Dnt forget he is gonna be looking for a contract this summer, alot easier to get a big deal if he gets big minutes to put up numbers. Would he be fine just getting 15-20 a night like Baynes does? I dont know.
I don’t know. He’s shown throughout his career that he can put up big numbers on non contenders, so I’d think that him being able to win might be his way to a payday

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2018, 06:21:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Is Monroe more useful/better than Theis?
As far as I see it:
not as a spacer, roller, rim protector, when guarding smaller players. Theis looks like he is in better shape too.
I am not against the signing, I am just thinking when and in which versus matchups will Greg play.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2018, 07:08:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/01/greg-monroe-dpe-boston-celtics-buyout-nba-trade-deadline-phoenix-suns/

Usa today makes the argument that monroes buyout makes things a little more complicated for the Evans sweepstakes, as his buyout was a little earlier than the trade deadline

The timing of Monroe’s buyout isn’t ideal for Boston. His availability may push the team to use the DPE prior to the passing of the trade deadline, giving them one less tool to use while constructing deals with other teams.

Terry Rozier triple-doubles notwithstanding, Boston has continuously noted that they are looking for more shooting and playmaking at the deadline. They are in the mix for Tyreke Evans, but they would likely have to go against their recent precedent and cough up a first-rounder to bring him in for a near-guaranteed rental.

The timing becomes problematic as Boston jockeys for position in the Tyreke Evans race. He’s the hottest commodity on the market this year, with his non-bird rights meaning no team can dive over the cap — and into the tax — to sign him. Teams that want to keep him beyond this season will be limited to the MLE, including Boston.

Evans is scoring nearly 20 points per game for the Memphis Grizzlies and is now being held out of games until he is traded, according to Woj. The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor reports multiple teams have already offered a first-rounder for Evans and that the Celtics are joined by the Philadelphia 76ers, New Orleans Pelicans, Milwaukee Bucks and Denver Nuggets in their interest for Evans.

Boston is sitting on the LaKings pick and Memphis’ protected future first as untouchable picks, but they can offer their own first-rounder for the foreseeable future and a lotteryu-protected Clippers pick in 2019. These are disposable when presented with a player that can make a material difference in getting to the Finals. Evans seems to fit that bill.

The Celtics have gotten a lot from their regular rotations bigs and integrating Monroe on both ends of the court may throw a wrench into a currently thriving rotation. Boston needs to determine if adding him is worth upsetting the apple cart. It won’t be surprising if they conclude it is.

That’s not the most problematic reality. The Celtics would be happy to land a player of Monroe’s caliber with the DPE. The opportunity cost of not having it available while pursuing potential trade candidates isn’t zero, but it’s also not outrageously high. The concern is that Monroe would not be willing to wait until after the trade deadline next Thursday, looking to strike on a more lucrative deal while the market is open.

In other news
 cavs fans are telling themselves that Greg monroe is garbage after finding out they can't offer him much of anything lol
http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/trade-deadline-feb-8-at-3-00-est.48584/page-84#post-2916562

Whaaa? They seem to think we might need to use the DPE to construct a deal for Reke. Whaaa? Like, what? Memphis dumping salary? Like, as if Memphis would want to dump a contract on us? Parsons? No way, not happening. Ben Mclemore? erm, I guess so, but he's been playing well lately. I am missing something? A three team deal where a third team dumps 8 million and Memphis get an asset back from that team too? I guess it's possible, but it's only 8 million (unless you are moving, say, Yabu and Rozier, in which case we would have 12 million in outgoing salary, including the DPE.

Just seems stupid. Reke will come down to someone beating our offer of Nader, Larkin and our own first.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

There simply isn’t enough available cap room next season for him to get a deal greater than the MLE.  He’s a good player, but has been on enough mediocre teams where an also-ran shouldnt splurge for him.  His best opportunity at getting paid next summer actually involves signing now with Boston for the full DPE and either resigning with the Celtics or being involved in a sign-and-trade for the non-Bird maximum of $10.09 million next year, compared with the MLE that will be around $8.6 million next year.

Besides, he clearly had Boston in mind, as he worked to complete his buyout BEFORE Boston could use their DPE at the trade deadline.  I would expect he gave up extra money to get released this week as opposed to next week.

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2018, 08:03:59 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am thrilled.  Monroe has actually been productive for Phoenix when he has played.  This is a golden opportunity for the Celtics.  Is there really any other team that can compete with the Celtics to get him?

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I like Baynes but he struggles to finish around the rim, often gets outworked for rebounds and can struggle on defense.

Monroe would be better under Stevens

Will Monroe sign with Celtics?
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 08:09:12 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Well, well, well, it looks like Ainge's patience will pay off again. The C's can give Monroe the full DPE without proration. That would satisfy what he gave up in the buyout. If Ainge can get Monroe, I think it makes the Evans move easier. You add Monroe and Evans to this team and we beat the Cavs and possibly the Warriors.

Monroe is a beast on the block and would give the Warriors fits. He would immediately replace Baynes. This team would be tough to beat.

BTW, how about Rozzay's triple double on his first start. This is what you get with more minutes. No way you trade Rozzay...but Ainge already knows that. LOL

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In other news

I see it the opposite way. It’s a good thing for the Celtics to know that Monroe is definitely a free agent. Now, they don’t have to guess about whether he would be available for the DPE. This clarifies their options.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes