Author Topic: Monroe Buyout / Signing with Celtics (merged threads)  (Read 36323 times)

Re: Breaking: Buyout reached with Greg Monroe
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Am I the only one who is not excited by Monroe? 27 and cannot stick on any team and has never had a single season where he had a plus rating. Every one is net negative while on the floor. I know he can rebound and a big is always great to have, but not even the great Stevens can turn pot roast to fillet.

http://stats.nba.com/player/202328/stats/
[/quote
I hear you, but the difference is, we're relying on Monroe to come off the bench and help us out. In past years, during our rebuild, when the talk was about adding Monroe (or Tobias Harris) with max money (which at the time wasn't too much), I wasn't high on him because I didn't think he could be an everyday "all-star caliber" starter.

But as a depth big who can also score off the bench, he could come REAL handy when you consider we could be facing the likes of Drummond, Whiteside, etc. in the early rounds of the playoffs. Baynes and Theis are solid but we may need another piece, especially if god forbid an injury happens going forward to any of our bigs.

He might not "wow" us every game, but I think he could help us out in some playoff games, and I remember a lot of people weren't high at all on Turner, but he proved to be a solid option and also helped us win some playoff games in his time here.

I hope you are right! We do have the best situation he has ever been in and a few months could be worth the risk. TP!

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I the only one who is not excited by Monroe? 27 and cannot stick on any team and has never had a single season where he had a plus rating. Every one is net negative while on the floor. I know he can rebound and a big is always great to have, but not even the great Stevens can turn pot roast to fillet.

[/quote
I hear you, but the difference is, we're relying on Monroe to come off the bench and help us out. In past years, during our rebuild, when the talk was about adding Monroe (or Tobias Harris) with max money (which at the time wasn't too much), I wasn't high on him because I didn't think he could be an everyday "all-star caliber" starter.

But as a depth big who can also score off the bench, he could come REAL handy when you consider we could be facing the likes of Drummond, Whiteside, etc. in the early rounds of the playoffs. Baynes and Theis are solid but we may need another piece, especially if god forbid an injury happens going forward to any of our bigs.

He might not "wow" us every game, but I think he could help us out in some playoff games, and I remember a lot of people weren't high at all on Turner, but he proved to be a solid option and also helped us win some playoff games in his time here.

I hope you are right! We do have the best situation he has ever been in and a few months could be worth the risk. TP!

Most reports do indicate he would love to be in a winning situation, and frankly for most of his career he hasn't really been in one. Maybe that sparks some extra fire in him as well if he comes here  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

He's always been a strong rebounder, good passer and pick setter, can run the floor and is young for a Center and durable.

He has also been in suck situations. at Detroit, he and Drummond played the same spot. He had the courage in himself  and the balls to take the QO  because he believed in himself.
 Milwaukee didn't use him right and the Suns were/are a crap show .

He'll flourish here, believe me

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

He's always been a strong rebounder, good passer and pick setter, can run the floor and is young for a Center and durable.

He has also been in suck situations. at Detroit, he and Drummond played the same spot. He had the courage in himself  and the balls to take the QO  because he believed in himself.
 Milwaukee didn't use him right and the Suns were/are a crap show .

He'll flourish here, believe me

I think you are right.

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 10:51:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Now hearing, after the Greg Monroe buyout, the Celtics "dream" scenario is to find a workable trade for Tyreke Evans using player(s) and a pick and then to use the Disabled Player Exception to sign Monroe. Can outbid any other playoff team, by virtue of having the $8.4M DPE.

Exactly what I'm suggesting!

You'd have to think we'd be the favorites to come out of the East if that happened, along with having a legitimate shot in the Finals. That'd really help solve two of our only weaknesses in bench scoring and rebounding.

Agree on the east. But we wouldn't have a shot against the Warriors. Not without Hayward at 100%.

Based on what? We have played GSW twice this year and what exactly about those two games makes you feel we do not have a chance against them?
I look at the entire body of work of both teams. And are you asking me about regular season games? Didnt last years ECF teach us anything? Facing a team in a seven games series is entirely different than during the regular season. I think we'd play each and every game closely, but lose in five.

Yeah, last year’s ECF taught me that IT was really hurt and we didn’t actually see a full-strength matchup.  If we’re down an All-Star PG vs. Golden State of course we’d go down in a hurry.

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He wants to play for a winning team, we're #1 in the east AND we can offer him far more money than anyone else with the DPE. If we really want him, I like our chances.

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:18 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Who or what team can claim him off waivers anyway?

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
He wants to play for a winning team, we're #1 in the east AND we can offer him far more money than anyone else with the DPE. If we really want him, I like our chances.

Yeah, and you have to think our main competition would be Cleveland, so not only would we be getting an upgrade but we would also keep a guy who has given us trouble in the past off of our main competitor's team in the East.

And while Love being out giving him more playing time is probably attractive to Monroe, I can't see him wanting to go to that dysfunctional environment if he cares about winning.

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Now hearing, after the Greg Monroe buyout, the Celtics "dream" scenario is to find a workable trade for Tyreke Evans using player(s) and a pick and then to use the Disabled Player Exception to sign Monroe. Can outbid any other playoff team, by virtue of having the $8.4M DPE.

You'd have to think we'd be the favorites to come out of the East if that happened, along with having a legitimate shot in the Finals. That'd really help solve two of our only weaknesses in bench scoring and rebounding.

Agree on the east. But we wouldn't have a shot against the Warriors. Not without Hayward at 100%.

Based on what? We have played GSW twice this year and what exactly about those two games makes you feel we do not have a chance against them?
I look at the entire body of work of both teams. And are you asking me about regular season games? Didnt last years ECF teach us anything? Facing a team in a seven games series is entirely different than during the regular season. I think we'd play each and every game closely, but lose in five.

Yeah, last year’s ECF taught me that IT was really hurt and we didn’t actually see a full-strength matchup.  If we’re down an All-Star PG vs. Golden State of course we’d go down in a hurry.

We were down 40 at home in the first two games. We weren't winning with or without IT. We weren't close with IT at 100%. We are closer this year, with Hayward back we are within spitting distance. But we aren't beating arguably the greatest collection of Talent in NBA history because we add Tyreke Evans and Greg Monroe Monroe wouldn't even be on the court to close games, Evans Wouldn't be with either if Hayward in back. 

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

The draw backs to Monroe are he can't spread the floor and he can only be signed for one year. He is a good player for what he brings. He's killed The Celtics in the past.

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Not to mention I think he'd get a decent amount of playing time. Winning, playing time, money. Sign him up.

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’ve misssd having a David Falk client on the roster.  Sully, Turner, Jeff Green, Austin Rivers for a weekend...

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The draw backs to Monroe are he can't spread the floor and he can only be signed for one year. He is a good player for what he brings. He's killed The Celtics in the past.

I just want a big that can get some rebounds, I don't care at this point if he can't do a Kevin Love impersonation. I'm less worried about the one year thing. We can sign him to a deal worth 120% of his contract value (which would put a deal starting just shy of $10.1m this offseason should he get the full DPE now). I don't think he gets more than that on the open market.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
 2m
2 minutes ago

More

We were down 40 at home in the first two games. We weren't winning with or without IT. We weren't close with IT at 100%. We are closer this year, with Hayward back we are within spitting distance. But we aren't beating arguably the greatest collection of Talent in NBA history because we add Tyreke Evans and Greg Monroe Monroe wouldn't even be on the court to close games, Evans Wouldn't be with either if Hayward in back.

Like Salty said, that's not really a fair comparison, because IT was injured the entire series, even the two games at home. We wouldn't have won the series regardless, but it should've been a closer series than it was.

This comparison is faulty in several other ways, too. First, this team is not in any way analogous to last year's team. In fact, in virtually every aspect this team is significantly different than last year's team, so drawing an analogy here seems illogical.

Second, you're extrapolating excuses for Cleveland onto Golden State that are just not warranted. Whoever said that GS doesn't play in the regular season? They literally won 73 games in the regular season two years ago, and they won 67 just last year. This notion that they don't play hard in the regular season is simply not warranted, so looking at how we've played them this year is in fact relevant.

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Career per is 20.1. This year was a per of 19.9. He'd have the second highest per on the Celtics behind Kyrie.