Author Topic: Monroe Buyout / Signing with Celtics (merged threads)  (Read 36352 times)

Re: Breaking: Buyout reached with Greg Monroe
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Would really love Moose here, especially if it gives Horford more rest leading into the playoffs.

Fearless Prediction: His defense will be fine, his rebounding and passing will be as advertised, he’ll struggle a bit to fine his scoring

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
He would flourish on a good team...with good players and a great coach. Get it done Danny.

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Would really love Moose here, especially if it gives Horford more rest leading into the playoffs.

Fearless Prediction: His defense will be fine, his rebounding and passing will be as advertised, he’ll struggle a bit to fine his scoring

Look at all the open shots Baynes gets. Those shots will be Monroe's shots and dunks.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

All of our other bigs are plus defenders so he should be fine.

I like Monroe, Morris, and Evans terrorizing other teams’ backups.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
He would allow Baynes to come off the bench with Theis and Morris.

Would allow Al to play the 4.

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 10:25:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Now hearing, after the Greg Monroe buyout, the Celtics "dream" scenario is to find a workable trade for Tyreke Evans using player(s) and a pick and then to use the Disabled Player Exception to sign Monroe. Can outbid any other playoff team, by virtue of having the $8.4M DPE.

Exactly what I'm suggesting!

You'd have to think we'd be the favorites to come out of the East if that happened, along with having a legitimate shot in the Finals. That'd really help solve two of our only weaknesses in bench scoring and rebounding.

Agree on the east. But we wouldn't have a shot against the Warriors. Not without Hayward at 100%.

Based on what? We have played GSW twice this year and what exactly about those two games makes you feel we do not have a chance against them?

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 10:27:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Celtics should bring players in this year for the end of the year run. we have a real shot at making the finals the way things stand. Once in the finals anything can happen.

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If we get Monroe CBS could do so many things with this team it will be fun to see him mesmerize GSW in the finals. It would be so ironic if Hayward came to Boston to join CBS to finish their unfinished business but the first one gets done without him.

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Now hearing, after the Greg Monroe buyout, the Celtics "dream" scenario is to find a workable trade for Tyreke Evans using player(s) and a pick and then to use the Disabled Player Exception to sign Monroe. Can outbid any other playoff team, by virtue of having the $8.4M DPE.

Exactly what I'm suggesting!

You'd have to think we'd be the favorites to come out of the East if that happened, along with having a legitimate shot in the Finals. That'd really help solve two of our only weaknesses in bench scoring and rebounding.

Agree on the east. But we wouldn't have a shot against the Warriors. Not without Hayward at 100%.

Based on what? We have played GSW twice this year and what exactly about those two games makes you feel we do not have a chance against them?
I look at the entire body of work of both teams. And are you asking me about regular season games? Didnt last years ECF teach us anything? Facing a team in a seven games series is entirely different than during the regular season. I think we'd play each and every game closely, but lose in five.

Re: Report: Greg Monroe Buyout could be coming soon
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2018, 10:32:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Trade a player + pick for Evans.

DPE on Monroe.

FIESTA!!!  ;D

Been my dream for a LONG time.

Always a Moose fan. Wanted him as a UFA after he had the  courage to play for the QO. Young, durable, REBOUNDER, runs the floor.

The 'Reke and Moose ...exciting that would be

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 10:39:34 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Am I the only one who is not excited by Monroe? 27 and cannot stick on any team and has never had a single season where he had a plus rating. Every one is net negative while on the floor. I know he can rebound and a big is always great to have, but not even the great Stevens can turn pot roast to fillet.

http://stats.nba.com/player/202328/stats/

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Am I the only one who is not excited by Monroe? 27 and cannot stick on any team and has never had a single season where he had a plus rating. Every one is net negative while on the floor. I know he can rebound and a big is always great to have, but not even the great Stevens can turn pot roast to fillet.

I hear you, but the difference is, we're relying on Monroe to come off the bench and help us out. In past years, during our rebuild, when the talk was about adding Monroe (or Tobias Harris) with max money (which at the time wasn't too much), I wasn't high on him because I didn't think he could be an everyday "all-star caliber" starter.

But as a depth big who can also score off the bench, he could come REAL handy when you consider we could be facing the likes of Drummond, Whiteside, etc. in the early rounds of the playoffs. Baynes and Theis are solid but we may need another piece, especially if god forbid an injury happens going forward to any of our bigs.

He might not "wow" us every game, but I think he could help us out in some playoff games, and I remember a lot of people weren't high at all on Turner, but he proved to be a solid option and also helped us win some playoff games in his time here.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Ya hes a role player, but it happens to be a role we need. And for nothing but money its a solid pick up.