Author Topic: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments  (Read 24541 times)

Re: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Moving this conversation here and contributing:

@rick_bonnell - 0m ago - I'm hearing @Hornets are still very active in the trade market and aren't sold on keeping both Teague and Rubio.  They would like to move at least 1 for a younger PG prospect (or a 1st).  They are also still trying to move MKG and Howard as well, and have received some interest in both.

We can't trade a player we acquired from another team

5. You cannot trade a player you acquired during this mock trade deadline. If you don't want him, you better work a 3-team deal.
Yeah I see that now.  I don't get that rule at all.  And actual teams do that all the time.  Requiring it to be a 3 or 4 team trade allows for trades to fall through you would otherwise do when you could just work a trade out later.  I don't see why I can't trade a player I acquired as long as the real rules are followed, but if those are the weird rules those are the weird rules and I'm stuck with 2 veteran PG's for some strange reason.

It's not at all common for teams to acquire a player and then trade him again the same week during the regular season.  It takes too much time with physicals and what-not for such things to occur.  The only time I can remember such a turnaround was with Austin Rivers, and I'd be very surprised if a physical weren't waived on at least one end of that transaction, if not both (I'd be highly surprised if Doc asked for a physical).  In the offseason you do see it with non-guaranteed contracts -- but again, that's because the contract isn't guaranteed and all sides of the trade are purely being performed for cap manipulation and draft pick purposes (Luke Ridnour being the most famous example).

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Breaking :

The Washington Wizards have traded Marcin Gortat and a 2019 first round draft pick to Atlanta for Marco Belinelli and Dewayne Dedmon.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6veztmv
Great deal for both teams.  Well done.
I see no mention of protection on that pick.  No way the Wizards make that trade without lottery protection.  Even if it stays at #19 that's a lot to give up to move Gortat's reasonable contract.  I'd rate it A for Atlanta and D for Washington. 

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Love the recent trade for Hawks. Schroeder is one of the more overrated players in the NBA -- and quite possibly the NBA's worst defensive point guard, regardless of his measurables and athelticism.

Quintessential type of trade for the Knicks. Although they got out of Noah (a previous mistake), they aren't going anywhere with Schroeder, and now their cupboard of assets is bare.

If NYK doesn't make the playoffs this year (more a likelihood than a stretch), this trade could be disastrous.  Far too risky for my liking.  Great trade for Atlanta.
So Atlanta has 2 unprotected 1st in 2018 now and they've helped their tank a bit.  Making good use of their cap space.  Really nice.  Almost Hinkiesque.  Just need to acquire a bunch of 2nd rounders. 

Edit:  Correction Wiz unprotected is 2019.  So an extra 1st in 2018, 2019 and probably 2020.  That's how to do a rebuild. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:27:47 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Love the recent trade for Hawks. Schroeder is one of the more overrated players in the NBA -- and quite possibly the NBA's worst defensive point guard, regardless of his measurables and athelticism.

Quintessential type of trade for the Knicks. Although they got out of Noah (a previous mistake), they aren't going anywhere with Schroeder, and now their cupboard of assets is bare.

If NYK doesn't make the playoffs this year (more a likelihood than a stretch), this trade could be disastrous.  Far too risky for my liking.  Great trade for Atlanta.
So Atlanta has 3 unprotected 1st in 2018 now and they've helped their tank a bit.  Making good use of their cap space.  Really nice.  Almost Hinkiesque.  Just need to acquire a bunch of 2nd rounders.

Not the place to discuss it here (and discussions have been done in lengths about the 76ers), but Hinkie initially put that team in an amazing position.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gortat had been causing (very real) locker room issues in Washington, so getting rid of him was crucial. In addition to that, Washington aims to make another move or two to shore up it's position as a top East team, so the pick will likely not be top 20 in 2019.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Gortat had been causing (very real) locker room issues in Washington, so getting rid of him was crucial. In addition to that, Washington aims to make another move or two to shore up it's position as a top East team, so the pick will likely not be top 20 in 2019.

Not at all criticizing the trade (it was solid for both sides, well done), but it's funny how many think Gortat is overrated and now kind of garbage/old, BUT against the C's he seems to look like Prime Shaq  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

It may be risky, but I also think with Wall out for a few months and Kemba getting traded, the Knicks have a decent shot at making the playoffs as a 6-8 seed, with a lot of young pieces as well going forward (including the newly acquired, Randle).

But I mean, this is a mock trade deadline (mock world), so who knows  :laugh:

That said, it does seem like the Knicks want to get rid of Noah and they are tired not only of his contract, but his attitude lol. Getting rid of him was never going to be easy.

Good move for ATL, not the sexiest move for NYK but understandably so.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 06:51:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not at all criticizing the trade (it was solid for both sides, well done), but it's funny how many think Gortat is overrated and now kind of garbage/old, BUT against the C's he seems to look like Prime Shaq  :laugh:
Boston seems to make Robin Lopez turn into Ewing and Tyler Johnson becomes Kobe. Very weird
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He’s played very well at times this year, but he’s also admitted to playing for stats, has openly mused about being on another team, and is generally seen in DC as the number one problem in their locker room.  In the real world, I would not be remotely surprised to see him traded for a 2019 1st by the deadline.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

He’s played very well at times this year, but he’s also admitted to playing for stats, has openly mused about being on another team, and is generally seen in DC as the number one problem in their locker room.  In the real world, I would not be remotely surprised to see him traded for a 2019 1st by the deadline.

Yeah, makes sense.

He does commit a ton of illegal screens against us that never seem to get called, so that plays a part too.  ::)

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Boston seems to make Robin Lopez turn into Ewing and Tyler Johnson becomes Kobe. Very weird

Exactly. That's why I loved the signing of Baynes, and the emergence of Theis helps now a ton.

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Is there a team that's going to give up a 1st for him?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 07:36:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

No, I mean with a 1st to another team, as in this trade.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Lots of activity early this trade deadline but my phone has stopped ringing.
ok fine

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

No, I mean with a 1st to another team, as in this trade.
I wouldn't waste a 1st to trade him now.  He'll be an expiring contract at 13.5M this offseason and shouldn't be hard to move since he's still fairly productive.