Author Topic: Trump admin. sanctions on Russia/Russian indictments page 3  (Read 1778 times)

Re: Trump administration refuses to implement new tougher sanctions on Russia
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 11:31:55 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 43
This is fake news.  Your hatred for Trump is clouding your senses.
I have a great idea.  Why don't you take all the money you are going to save from the tax cuts and give it back.

Hi Pucccia,

Can you please let me know where you get your news information from? I am honestly asking as I would like to know where most right wingers and 'deep-state' thinkers get their news from. I asked rondohondo the same but have yet to get a response. Please state as many as you can or care to share. If you are going to use a source like YouTube please specify the channel.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2420
I have a great idea.  Why don't you take all the money you are going to save from the tax cuts and give it back.

FYI, the fake news excuse is so yesterday.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 354

It is not fake news.
1. By a large, bi-partisan margin, House and Senate voted for sanctions on Russia.
2. The President says he won't implement the sanctions.

(1) and (2) are facts.

Here's a link if you want it: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/29/russia-sanctions-white-house-congress-376813?lo=ap_a1

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2431
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
To also recap: the United States interferes in other countries elections all the time, including Russia's.  Gloss over that point I'm sure.

Yes we have. However, two wrongs don't remotely make a right - we've bombed plenty of countries, it doesn't mean we somehow should be ok with someone bombing us - and I personally didn't have jack to do with any of it, so I'm not sure how that's supposed to shape my opinion beyond that I should be opposed to our interference too, which I am.

The Russia scaremongering when the President is doing way worse things in the open is incredible.  I thought maybe Trump would unite so much hate against him and his awful policies that good could come from him being president but we see responses like this.  Instead, it's Russia that is the bad guy behind it all, instead of an awful American person and an awful American party.

The entire premise of my post is centered on the actions of the Americans currently in power.

People so worried about sanctions with all that is going on right now.  The Cold War flames can so easily be stoked again.  Forget ending the war on terror and the constant drone bombing without authorization, forget Syria, forget that Trump destroyed the Iran deal and is pushing war with them, forget that he gutted things with that tax cut and down the road all these Republicans are going to cut every other wellfare system and act like they just had to because of the budget now.  Just unbelievable to me.  I was a lot more hopeful about the response to this man being President.

I have this crazy idea that it's possible to have opinions on more than one thing at a time. We can make an emoluments thread or an entitlements thread or a general foreign policy thread, or a thread about setting up shell corporations to pay off adult film stars you cheated on the First Lady with, and have those discussions too. If you want more focus on them, then I recommend starting those threads and getting the ball rolling.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 59
To recap, a foreign adversary attacked America in the last election, and the stance of the President who benefited from it, and a sizable chunk of the Republican Party, is that the foreign adversary doesn't need to be punished but the American law enforcement agencies that investigated them do.
This is completely true and it's embarrassing for all of us that it is.

It's worse than embarrassing. Pandora's box is creaking open and it's going to take a tremendous amount of effort to close it. Far too many Americans hate half their countrymen more than they value anything about their country. It's making us weak and self-destructive and extremely vulnerable to tyranny. I have very little faith that a change of power will do much to reverse it. I fear it's going to take a fall, a real one, for us to come back to our senses.

Nailed it.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 456
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
the "fake news" reply has become a childish thoughtless response

as if you can just brush everything off and avoid explanation with the wave of a magic wand
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
Wow - part of the sanctions was a requirement to list Russian oligarchs who had been enriched due to connections with the Kremlin and illict business dealings, along with the nature of their connections and sources of corruption. 

Government staffers put together a carefully researched report, but at the last minute it was torn up and replaced with a list of top Russian officials, plus the names of Russian billionaires literally copy-pasted, misspellings and all, from Forbes Magazine's annual rankings, with essentially no additional information.  The now-useless list was sent out 14 minutes before the midnight deadline.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/30/581800347/u-s-releases-oligarchs-list-and-opts-against-new-sanctions-on-russia

There's a classified list out there that may have more info, but this is very normal behavior from very honest and non-corrupt government officials.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
On absolutely no factual basis at all, I do not believe the Russians were able to influence the election.  I do, however, believe that some entity (Russia?  Iran?  Korea?) tried to drive a wedge to cause a violent division between Americans of different political persuasions....and succeeded...unless we wise up.   

Someone was paying attention when Lincoln said, a nation divided against itself cannot stand.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 403
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-usa-intelligence/russian-spy-chief-visited-united-states-russian-embassy-idUSKBN1FJ2PF?il=0

The head of Russia's Intelligence Agency, who is under sanctions and not permitted in the US, was in the United States last week briefing Trump's administration.  The entire country is going to break apart while the right wing cheers it on.  There are reports that Trump wants to imprison Mueller now right after meeting with this guy
San Antonio Spurs - Mock CBlog League
PG: Eric Bledsoe / Tony Parker / Patty Mills
SG: Wayne Ellington / Manu Ginobli / Brandon Paul
SF: Khris Middleton / Kyle Anderson / Matt Costello
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Davis Bertans
C: Whiteside / Thon Maker / Lauvergne /  AJ Hammons
Draft Picks: Added 2018 Suns 1st Top 1 Protected

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2320
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-usa-intelligence/russian-spy-chief-visited-united-states-russian-embassy-idUSKBN1FJ2PF?il=0

The head of Russia's Intelligence Agency, who is under sanctions and not permitted in the US, was in the United States last week briefing Trump's administration.  The entire country is going to break apart while the right wing cheers it on.  There are reports that Trump wants to imprison Mueller now right after meeting with this guy

Would love to see those reports.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson

Is he actually forbidden from being in the US? Because that's not in the article and seems like it'd be a big omission.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2018-state-of-the-union-address/state-donald-trump-he-thinks-it-couldn-t-be-better-n842501

Toward the bottom. As part of our very legitimate push toward ending politicization of federal agencies the President is mulling having his recused Attorney General prosecute Mueller for...something. They'll figure out the details later.  Bill Clinton!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:54:02 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 03:49:51 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2018-state-of-the-union-address/state-donald-trump-he-thinks-it-couldn-t-be-better-n842501

This seems to be the main one

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1216
On absolutely no factual basis at all, I do not believe the Russians were able to influence the election.
Perhaps so, if you still view "influencing the election" in its old-fashioned form of stuffing the ballot box somehow. That's not what it is these days.

I do, however, believe that some entity (Russia?  Iran?  Korea?) tried to drive a wedge to cause a violent division between Americans of different political persuasions....and succeeded...
... and this is precisely how you influence elections these days.

Also: (1) neither Iran nor North Korea have the resources to wage a massive hybrid war with the United States, and (2) the three entities you listed are not substantially different anyhow; the latter two are stooges of the former.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen

Is he actually forbidden from being in the US? Because that's not in the article and seems like it'd be a big omission.

Toward the bottom. As part of our very legitimate push toward ending politicization of federal agencies the President is mulling having his recused Attorney General prosecute Mueller for...something. They'll figure out the details later.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/30/trump-russia-sanctions-schumer-sergey-naryshkin-378652

Naryshkin was subject to travel restrictions as part of an executive order issued in 2014 by then-President Barack Obama in response to Putin's annexation of Crimea. That executive order was codified into law by Congress in last year's sanctions legislation, which passed overwhelmingly, though it is unclear whether any exemptions may have existed to permit Naryshkin's entry into the United States.

So Putin has a random Twitter account put this out to assert himself over Trump again.  Trump snuck him in the country and then after he leaves, Putin rats him out.  Putin is trying to provoke

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 292

I saw the article below earlier today and was pretty shocked.  I was hoping to find some other stories that followed up on this as well, but have been swamped with work today.

I am not sure about the word 'imprison', but this article from NBC news stated the following:
"Trump is even talking to friends about the possibility of asking Attorney General Jeff Sessions to consider prosecuting Mueller and his team."

The congress needs to get off their behinds, get their heads out of the sand, and take steps to ensure Trump can't order someone to fire Mueller without judicial oversight / review.  With the news that Trump wanted to fire Mueller in June, but what held back by the white house counsel, and the fact that Trump won't implement the Russian sanctions - NOW is the time to protect Mueller.

In addition, if Mueller has the evidence to support an obstruction of justice case against Trump / Trump Administration he needs to move on it now, before Trump does something else crazy.