Author Topic: Trump admin. sanctions on Russia/Russian indictments page 3  (Read 4093 times)

Trump admin. sanctions on Russia/Russian indictments page 3
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:31 AM »

Offline blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 358
Well while the whole day was full of the controversy with the memo and the fate of Andrew McCabe, our crackpot president decided that tougher sanctions on Russia for meddling in the 2016 elections weren't needed.  Even though the sanctions had been overwhelmingly approved by both houses of congress.  House 419-3, Senata 98-2.  This just blows my mind and not in a good way.  The attack on our democracy wasn't finished once Trump was elected, it had just started.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/371333-state-dept-tells-congress-no-additional-russia-sanctions-necessary-at
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:53:48 PM by nickagneta »

Offline liam

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 702
Putin is not allowing Trump to apply sanctions. This is scary.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1964
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yup, the United States executive branch is claiming passing the bill itself is a "deterrent" so they don't actually need to execute it.

In addition, House Rs in conjunction with the White House are releasing a partisan memo claiming DoJ/FBI abuses in surveilling Carter Page, one of the Trump associates with the longest and closest ties to Russia. They are also investigating the DoJ and FBI for seeking evidence related to the election interference.

To recap, a foreign adversary attacked America in the last election, and the stance of the President who benefited from it, and a sizable chunk of the Republican Party, is that the foreign adversary doesn't need to be punished but the American law enforcement agencies that investigated them do.

There are some reasons other than masking serious crimes for this to happen - dumb blind ego on the President's part, a desire to have Russia do it again in future elections, or perhaps they just thought this approach was more consistent with "America First". But make no mistake, this is a full-blown Constitutional crisis and it's going to get uglier until it stops.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1046
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure this one will come back to Obama & Hillary too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2339
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
“Everybody who said Donald Trump couldn't win...Every anchor, every pundit who said, ‘This is over, it's a joke, he can't win, he can't govern’ tried to interfere in the election.” - Kellyanne Conway

Every day it seems to inch a little bit closer to fascism.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1082
Yup, the United States executive branch is claiming passing the bill itself is a "deterrent" so they don't actually need to execute it.

In addition, House Rs in conjunction with the White House are releasing a partisan memo claiming DoJ/FBI abuses in surveilling Carter Page, one of the Trump associates with the longest and closest ties to Russia. They are also investigating the DoJ and FBI for seeking evidence related to the election interference.

To recap, a foreign adversary attacked America in the last election, and the stance of the President who benefited from it, and a sizable chunk of the Republican Party, is that the foreign adversary doesn't need to be punished but the American law enforcement agencies that investigated them do.

There are some reasons other than masking serious crimes for this to happen - dumb blind ego on the President's part, a desire to have Russia do it again in future elections, or perhaps they just thought this approach was more consistent with "America First". But make no mistake, this is a full-blown Constitutional crisis and it's going to get uglier until it stops.

You're right , Russia interfered with the election, but it wasn't on Trumps behalf.

It was the phony Russian dossier that Hillary/DNC/never trumpers paid for, and that Obama's justice department used to get a fisa warrant to illegally spy on an opposing party.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson

You're right , Russia interfered with the election, but it wasn't on Trumps behalf.

It was the phony Russian dossier that Hillary/DNC/never trumpers paid for, and that Obama's justice department used to get a fisa warrant to illegally spy on an opposing party.

If the White House actually believed this nonsense, why wouldn't they be doubly motivated to sanction them?

Offline Vox_Populi

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 227
This is completely true and it's embarrassing for all of us that it is.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
This is completely true and it's embarrassing for all of us that it is.

It's worse than embarrassing. Pandora's box is creaking open and it's going to take a tremendous amount of effort to close it. Far too many Americans hate half their countrymen more than they value anything about their country. It's making us weak and self-destructive and extremely vulnerable to tyranny. I have very little faith that a change of power will do much to reverse it. I fear it's going to take a fall, a real one, for us to come back to our senses.

Offline liam

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 702

Well said!

Re: Trump administration refuses to implement new tougher sanctions on Russia
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 444
To also recap: the United States interferes in other countries elections all the time, including Russia's.  Gloss over that point I'm sure.

The Russia scaremongering when the President is doing way worse things in the open is incredible.  I thought maybe Trump would unite so much hate against him and his awful policies that good could come from him being president but we see responses like this.  Instead, it's Russia that is the bad guy behind it all, instead of an awful American person and an awful American party.

People so worried about sanctions with all that is going on right now.  The Cold War flames can so easily be stoked again.  Forget ending the war on terror and the constant drone bombing without authorization, forget Syria, forget that Trump destroyed the Iran deal and is pushing war with them, forget that he gutted things with that tax cut and down the road all these Republicans are going to cut every other wellfare system and act like they just had to because of the budget now.  Just unbelievable to me.  I was a lot more hopeful about the response to this man being President. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:28:15 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 403
To also recap: the United States interferes in other countries elections all the time, including Russia's.  Gloss over that point I'm sure.

The Russia scaremongering when the President is doing way worse things in the open is incredible.  I thought maybe Trump would unite so much hate against him and his awful policies that good could come from him being president but we see responses like this.  Instead, it's Russia that is the bad guy behind it all, instead of an awful American person and an awful American party.

People so worried about sanctions with all that is going on right now.  The Cold War flames can so easily be stoked again.  Forget ending the war on terror and the constant drone bombing without authorization, forget Syria, forget that Trump destroyed the Iran deal and is pushing war with them, forget that he gutted things with that tax cut and down the road all these Republicans are going to cut every other wellfare system and act like they just had to because of the budget now.  Just unbelievable to me.  I was a lot more hopeful about the response to this man being President.

We have invaded countries before, so if Russia invaded us, no big deal!

Here is the thing, Russia is behind it all.  It is now on tape that they hacked our State Department, the DNC and voter registries in multiple states: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-russia-cybercrime/dutch-intelligence-agency-spied-on-russian-hacking-group-media-idUSKBN1FE34W

Trump is meeting with Putin in private and not even letting American translators around.  We have a fair amount of evidence that he has been money laundering for decades for them.  We can't have a Russian asset as President of the United States and we can't have a political party running errands for a foreign nation like this. 

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 48
This is fake news.  Your hatred for Trump is clouding your senses.
I have a great idea.  Why don't you take all the money you are going to save from the tax cuts and give it back.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 403
This is fake news.  Your hatred for Trump is clouding your senses.
I have a great idea.  Why don't you take all the money you are going to save from the tax cuts and give it back.

You mean the tax cut that I am going to have to pay back the deficit on?

The tax cut that has resulted in only 2% of people surveyed receiving a bonus or pay raise?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/very-few-us-adults-report-receiving-bonuses-or-raises-from-the-republican-tax-law.html

The tax cut that has cut the value of my house $20,000 in about a month?

What is specifically fake news that I wrote?  Mike Pompeo, the CIA Director that Trump appointed who is a super partisan Republican, came out today to say that they are actively meddling in our elections: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-security-cia/cia-director-expects-russia-will-try-to-target-u-s-mid-term-elections-idUSKBN1FJ0W3

I mean this guy: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38029336