5 (13.9%)
Evans
16 (44.4%)
Williams
13 (36.1%)
Hood
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Favorite target - Bradley, Evans, Williams, or Hood?  (Read 3840 times)

Re: Favorite target - Bradley, Evans, Williams, or Hood?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What would be a hypothetical trade offer for Lou Williams?

DPE and a Celtics 1st rd pick in 2018. Not that much, but recent history shows that expiring contracts haven't been too fruitful for the team trading the player away. Regardless, the Clippers have to trade either Bradley or Williams. I doubt they'll want to re-sign both, especially with Beverley, Rivers, and Teodosic all signed for next season.

DPE is NOT tradeable. It is for Celtics to use or lose - they cannot trade it.

Keith Smith -

By leaving the DPE whole, it allows a team to use it in a trade to take in the maximum amount of money allowed, in Boston’s case this amounts to just over $8.5 million (the DPE amount of approximately $8.4 million plus $100,000 per trade rules). This as opposed to penalizing the team by reducing the DPE in value like some of the other exceptions do.

Yes they can receive a player in a trade to fill that slot but it is not tradable out as suggested earlier.

You're arguing semantics, though. The question asked was how we could acquire Williams and trading for him using the DPE was what I suggested.

From the CBA -

Teams can use a Disabled Player Exception to sign a free agent, trade for a player or claim someone off waivers as long as they fit the other requirements.

What I recall being proposed is this....

DPE and a Celtics 1st rd pick in 2018.

That is an outgoing trade and a pick which is not semantics and not tradable.

Sure, the outgoing trade assets would merely be the pick.

Although FWIW, as the Clippers are over the cap they would receive a trade exception equal to the outgoing salary on their end.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

DPE and a Celtics 1st rd pick in 2018. Not that much, but recent history shows that expiring contracts haven't been too fruitful for the team trading the player away. Regardless, the Clippers have to trade either Bradley or Williams. I doubt they'll want to re-sign both, especially with Beverley, Rivers, and Teodosic all signed for next season.

Keith Smith -

By leaving the DPE whole, it allows a team to use it in a trade to take in the maximum amount of money allowed, in Boston’s case this amounts to just over $8.5 million (the DPE amount of approximately $8.4 million plus $100,000 per trade rules). This as opposed to penalizing the team by reducing the DPE in value like some of the other exceptions do.

Yes they can receive a player in a trade to fill that slot but it is not tradable out as suggested earlier.

You're arguing semantics, though. The question asked was how we could acquire Williams and trading for him using the DPE was what I suggested.

From the CBA -

Teams can use a Disabled Player Exception to sign a free agent, trade for a player or claim someone off waivers as long as they fit the other requirements.

Yeah, I really don't get the point of Hodgy's argument there. Most everyone here probably understood what you meant.

Most understood what he meant? Please let me know what he meant. What is a hypothetical trade for Lou Williams and he responded...

So what exactly does that mean? It seems like the proposal is trading the DPE which is not tradable + a 1st rnd pick in 2018. So please explain to me how I don't understand but everyone else does?

EDIT: So if you are saying it is Lou Williams for a 2018 1st that is fine. Do you think that is enough?

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Keith Smith -

From the CBA -

Although FWIW, as the Clippers are over the cap they would receive a trade exception equal to the outgoing salary on their end.

Exactly.

Also, it prohibits you from packaging it with players, but nowhere does it state you can't send draft picks.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Keith Smith -

From the CBA -

Exactly.

Also, it prohibits you from packaging it with players, but nowhere does it state you can't send draft picks.

Technically you can include players in the trade so long as they are not aggregated with the DPE to trade for a player on a salary larger than the DPE.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Keith Smith -

From the CBA -

Yeah, I really don't get the point of Hodgy's argument there. Most everyone here probably understood what you meant.

Most understood what he meant? Please let me know what he meant. What is a hypothetical trade for Lou Williams and he responded...

So what exactly does that mean? It seems like the proposal is trading the DPE which is not tradable + a 1st rnd pick in 2018. So please explain to me how I don't understand but everyone else does?

EDIT: So if you are saying it is Lou Williams for a 2018 1st that is fine. Do you think that is enough?

LOL

You just literally had a conversation with yourself, but yeah, that's the premise. And according to the CBA the DPE is tradable -

I'm not certain if the DPE is able to be used by the receiving team or if it's immediately extinguished, but the point is moot since the Clippers would immediately generate a TPE that expires a year from the date of the trade.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Keith Smith -

From the CBA -

LOL

You just literally had a conversation with yourself, but yeah, that's the premise. And according to the CBA the DPE is tradable -

I'm not certain if the DPE is able to be used by the receiving team or if it's immediately extinguished, but the point is moot since the Clippers would immediately generate a TPE that expires a year from the date of the trade.

Exceptions are never transferable

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Keith Smith -

From the CBA -

LOL

The DPE was tradable months ago. It is no longer tradable from us to anyone else. Yes, of course we can use it to receive a player in a trade or sign a free agent. But you specifically said trade the DPE and a 2018 1st. I really don't care any more but it won't and can't be traded.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Just based on potential impact, Tyreke Evans.  He is capable of running an offense and has turned into a respectable three point shooter, and he has typically been adequate on the defensive end over his career.  Lou Williams is a better offensive player this year, but is a defensive nonentity.  I don't like Hood and Bradley as shot creators, which is the skill we should be looking for IMO.   

I don't know what 30 games of Evans is worth, though.  That's a very short window that he has to jell with the team, and if it doesn't happen quickly, you gave up a decent asset for nothing.  I also assume that it's very unlikely that he re-signs with us given our cap situation.  But if our '18 first gets it done, then I'd do that deal. 

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just based on potential impact, Tyreke Evans.  He is capable of running an offense and has turned into a respectable three point shooter, and he has typically been adequate on the defensive end over his career.  Lou Williams is a better offensive player this year, but is a defensive nonentity.  I don't like Hood and Bradley as shot creators, which is the skill we should be looking for IMO.   

I don't know what 30 games of Evans is worth, though.  That's a very short window that he has to jell with the team, and if it doesn't happen quickly, you gave up a decent asset for nothing.  I also assume that it's very unlikely that he re-signs with us given our cap situation.  But if our '18 first gets it done, then I'd do that deal.
Another aspect is that Tyreke gets hurt more often than Lou.

Honestly, either would be a godsend
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Neither would be a godsend.  Lou is like 45.  Evans will be injured before i post. Both are short term rental considerations that would do nothing in the way of dethroning GSW.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:05:26 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 10:07:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Neither would be a godsend.  Lou is like 45.  Evans is as injury prone as it gets. Both are short term rental considerations that would do nothing in the way of dethroning GSW.
Lou can be however old he wants to be (31) if he's having his best season ever, comfortably. Evans is injury prone, but he's also perfect for this team.

If you don't think watching Smart and Rozier throw up brick after brick when Kyrie sits isn't a godsend that's on you. It would sure help my blood pressure a lot
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Poll is split between Evans and Williams  :)

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Evans