Author Topic: Stevens: Don’t expect Hayward back this season  (Read 3543 times)

Re: Stevens: Don’t expect Hayward back this season
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 03:21:28 AM »

Offline estendius

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
If he's totally healthy, let him play!.
At least he can help from the bench with restrict minutes.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 03:59:50 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don’t want him back this year. Get healthy Hayward! We’ll be waiting for you next season!
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 04:27:30 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I don’t want him back this year. Get healthy Hayward! We’ll be waiting for you next season!

I feel that. But if we win the ECF, he is ready to go, an he has played a couple games in Maine?? Are you absolutely saying no?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think Stevens is right by continuing to say this even if he may come back.

It keeps Hayward motivated and hungry.
It keeps the team motivated and hungry.
It doesn't let any other teams stop from negotiating trades.
It keeps the DPE option open for negotiation.
It could be true.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 10:08:48 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I think the team legitimately doesn't know if he'll be back this year. They obviously want to think long-term, and want to avoid at all costs rushing back only for him to get re-injured. Given these two points, it makes complete sense that everything they say would be oriented towards not raising expectations for Hayward to play, so that the player himself doesn't feel that undue pressure. That's why they keep saying their base case is that he won't play this year, without completely ruling it out.

Another factor: As we all know the team can still use that injury exception to sign/trade for a player, even if Hayward comes back. But could you imagine if the league granted that exception, and even before the all-star break the team started publicly talking about him coming back? That would not be a good look. This is is another reason that the team needs to treat the prospect of Hayward's return this year as gravy, if for no other reason than it wouldn't want to needlessly raise the league office's ire.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Stevens is right by continuing to say this even if he may come back.

It keeps Hayward motivated and hungry.
It keeps the team motivated and hungry.
It doesn't let any other teams stop from negotiating trades.
It keeps the DPE option open for negotiation.
It could be true.

Most importantly, it takes pressure off of Hayward from feeling he disappoints his team if he can't come back this season. Or do something dumb when he is not ready, and re-injure himself.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think the team legitimately doesn't know if he'll be back this year. They obviously want to think long-term, and want to avoid at all costs rushing back only for him to get re-injured. Given these two points, it makes complete sense that everything they say would be oriented towards not raising expectations for Hayward to play, so that the player himself doesn't feel that undue pressure. That's why they keep saying their base case is that he won't play this year, without completely ruling it out.

Another factor: As we all know the team can still use that injury exception to sign/trade for a player, even if Hayward comes back. But could you imagine if the league granted that exception, and even before the all-star break the team started publicly talking about him coming back? That would not be a good look. This is is another reason that the team needs to treat the prospect of Hayward's return this year as gravy, if for no other reason than it wouldn't want to needlessly raise the league office's ire.

Excellent point

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
http://www.gordonhayward20.life/2018/01/29/the-rehab-grind/

He talks about how things are going here. To me it sounds like things are going fine but he's not even close to doing anything like playing basketball. I really doubt we'll see him this year and I'm ok with that. Don't want to see him hobbling around like Kevin McHale for the rest of his life.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 01:00:56 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/02/kyrie_irving_great_if_injured.html

I don't know about you but Kyrie said in this recent interview: "And I just want Gordon to do what's best for him. And that's as simple as I can put it. I don't want him to rush back. We need him for years to come. It would be great if he came back this year. Hell, I miss him so much. He knows that. But I just want him to do what's best for him."

It's like...he said it as if he was planning to stay long-term and retire with the Celtics. Good on him though for wishing long-term success of the team by not rushing Hayward back. Everyone definitely misses him.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All the shooting he is doing will really help him. 

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He would be crazy to come back this year and not give that break an extra 6 months to mend.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/02/kyrie_irving_great_if_injured.html

I don't know about you but Kyrie said in this recent interview: "And I just want Gordon to do what's best for him. And that's as simple as I can put it. I don't want him to rush back. We need him for years to come. It would be great if he came back this year. Hell, I miss him so much. He knows that. But I just want him to do what's best for him."

It's like...he said it as if he was planning to stay long-term and retire with the Celtics. Good on him though for wishing long-term success of the team by not rushing Hayward back. Everyone definitely misses him.

I’m no fortune teller and I don’t personally know anyone from Kyrie’s camp but it honestly looks like Kyrie is relishing his time in Boston. I wouldn’t be surprised if he re-ups with us. Great organization with trust and communication coming from the top. Great passionate fan base plus a major market. Finally, this situation is suited for him to pick up some individual accolades (MVP? Finals MVP?).

- LilRip

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

I’m no fortune teller and I don’t personally know anyone from Kyrie’s camp but it honestly looks like Kyrie is relishing his time in Boston. I wouldn’t be surprised if he re-ups with us. Great organization with trust and communication coming from the top. Great passionate fan base plus a major market. Finally, this situation is suited for him to pick up some individual accolades (MVP? Finals MVP?).

I think it is pretty telling he almost immediately waived his trade kicker to come here. Also passed up on the chance at making a ton of money to come here.

Idk if, during the trade rumors talk and his "trade list", Boston was high on his list of teams he'd be willing to go, but I'm going to assume we were at least Top-3 in that list of about 5-6 teams he reportedly created (which included the likes of MIN, SAS, NYK, PHO, and another team I believe).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller