Author Topic: Stevens: Don’t expect Hayward back this season  (Read 3548 times)

Stevens: Don’t expect Hayward back this season
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Despite the rehab videos and nagging speculation, Celtics coach Brad Stevens re-articulated Saturday what the team has always said about Gordon Hayward returning this season.

Don’t count on it.

“We don’t anticipate him being back this season,” Stevens said Saturday, according to ESPN’s Chris Forsberg. However, the Celtics coach did acknowledge Hayward’s work on his shot, despite his fractured left angle.

“Like, he’s a heck of a standstill shooter now,” Stevens said. “And he’s really good in a chair, too.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/01/28/brad-stevens-threw-cold-water-on-the-rumblings-about-gordon-hayward-returning-this-season

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Stevens: Don’t expect Hayward back this season
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I actually don't mind the wait. I like how the C's are built.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
3...2...1...here comes the kickback stating.....

What else do you expect the Celtics to say.

Hayward seems way ahead of schedule.

Fully expect him to be back and contributing in the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I've never believed Hayward is coming back this year. And I wont until i see it. His foot was literally facing the wrong way. Every step of the way the Celtics have been careful to say Hayward was "on schedule" but they still weren't expecting him back, and the got the DPE which means the league feels he probably isn't coming back. But that being said I'm sure he wants to come back. Hard to what your team be #1 in the east and give GS a solid shot and not want to be there. So we will see.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

But he's not, he's pretty much on schedule. In the videos we've seen, he's not jumping, he's not moving laterally, he's not cutting, he's not running. He's standstill shooting with some light footwork - which he's still wearing a brace for. He has to clear those hurdles and then get back into game shape.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:07:45 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Maybe they should just tell Hayward to stand at one spot on the court for the entire time he's out there, and take those shots when given the ball.  :laugh:

Just gotta hope Marcus Smart, Brown and others put in 2x the effort on the defensive end then.  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Why is it "kickback" to say those things? Seems like a comment intended to instigate, which is usually not your style Nick.

I for one saw the comments and took zero from them, since they seem to add zero to what we know. Which is that he may or may not try to come back this year.

It did just occur to me though that this may end up being a distraction heading into (and in) the playoffs, if Hayward is at all close to playing again. The media will obsess about it. And then you could see players getting a little resentful ("we are in the ECF without him, why all the attention?" kind of thing, esp. from the other wings). That would be a bummer.

Anyway is there a rule setting a timetable on when we would have to decide? Or can the Cs bring him back whenever, even in the playoffs, as long as they leave a roster spot open?

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I will be shocked if plays a game this season, because:

1. He'd be coming back at precisely the wrong time, the playoffs, when players push themselves to the utmost, a perfect way to injure himself in the same place or even another place (knee?) on unprepared legs.

2.  He won't play a game this year.  He's too valuable to the future. (couldn't think of a real #2)

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
While I would love to see him back this season, I understand that he’s much more likely to not return.

That said, this team should be considered the favorites in the East next year and maybe for the title. I still worry about LeBron in a series, but if the Celtics make it out of the East WITHOUT him, wow.

Then next year, you get a stronger Tatum (who doesn’t hit the wall in January), a better Brown, a ready Rozier, and an all-star in Gordon. Irving can only get more comfortable in Stevens system, and Horford’s game is one that ages very well. Hopefully we can retain Baynes and add the Lakers pick AND an MLE impact player.

I originally thought this was a lost season after that defeats ring injury. But this team is showing their mettle and can still be conference champions while giving the West a real challenge.

Or Ainge can bring fireworks in the off-season once again.

Regardless, the future is very bright for this franchise.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't know if Hayward is going to be back this year, and I suspect Stevens isn't sure, either. I think he's just trying to keep the optimism from getting out of hand. At this point, there's maybe a 50/50 chance he's back for the playoffs.

You look at the current team, and the problems they seem to be having lately, and you wonder if they can get out of the East this year. It's a serious question.

Lately, they've been falling into the trap of relying too much on Irving's shooting. That was evident in the Warriors game. Kyrie scores more than 30, and it's usually a loss. I noted elsewhere that Tatum took zero shots the last 8 minutes of the Warriors game. Just saw the replay on NBA TV. And the last 5 minutes, he didn't play. Strange to have your best shooter on the bench the last 5 minutes of a very close game. Irving kept them in the game with some miracle layups. Tatum needs to get set up for more shots, especially those easy corner 3s. Not so late in the Warriors game. Instead it was Curry who was bombs away.

Ainge needs to come up with a deal here soon to strengthen this team. Last night, they might have won if Smart hadn't punched out a glass mirror. But they still have problems with shooting and rebounding. Horford isn't enough. They need another big--especially when they're facing teams with good bigs. Baynes and Theis are hardly the answer. And another shooter wouldn't hurt, especially if Tatum isn't going to get his shots.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Why is it "kickback" to say those things? Seems like a comment intended to instigate, which is usually not your style Nick.

I for one saw the comments and took zero from them, since they seem to add zero to what we know. Which is that he may or may not try to come back this year.

It did just occur to me though that this may end up being a distraction heading into (and in) the playoffs, if Hayward is at all close to playing again. The media will obsess about it. And then you could see players getting a little resentful ("we are in the ECF without him, why all the attention?" kind of thing, esp. from the other wings). That would be a bummer.

Anyway is there a rule setting a timetable on when we would have to decide? Or can the Cs bring him back whenever, even in the playoffs, as long as they leave a roster spot open?

He could make his debut Game 7 of the NBA Finals.  The Celtics have to set a 15-man roster by the beginning of the playoffs, but the only way Hayward will not be on that roster is if he is traded or released before then (which is obviously not happening).

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
CBS is becoming a master of Danny-speak.

"Don't expect" obviously doesn't mean "categorically not".

Doesn't want to get fan/media expectations up which would precipitate constant and numerous questions about his "timetable."

Doesn't want any potential buyout or trade candidate to come in with the specter of Hayward's return hanging over him, and could possibly discourage him from coming here.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 09:18:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
CBS is becoming a master of Danny-speak.

"Don't expect" obviously doesn't mean "categorically not".

Doesn't want to get fan/media expectations up which would precipitate constant and numerous questions about his "timetable."

Doesn't want any potential buyout or trade candidate to come in with the specter of Hayward's return hanging over him, and could possibly discourage him from coming here.
Pretty much this.  Don’t expect him back is in another stratesohere from he won’t be back.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:10:30 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
They're not going to say one way or an other. I'm surprised Hayward is moving the way he is at this point. I figured mid to late Feb when he would have been on his feet shooting. Even my wife who's a PT saw the video and raised her eyebrows. And when it happened she said she doubted he would be back, and then after the video said if it's healed fully, it's now a matter of getting the muscles back in shape, getting the ligaments strong and getting his head right. She said it's possible to be back by the playoffs. It still would be pushing it, but he's on a good track to this point. It's just not going to be how PT sets in. 

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He could make his debut Game 7 of the NBA Finals.  The Celtics have to set a 15-man roster by the beginning of the playoffs, but the only way Hayward will not be on that roster is if he is traded or released before then (which is obviously not happening).

Imagine if Brad first subs Hayward into the game for a side-out possession in the last minute of a playoff game?  The other team freaks out and calls timeout.  Hayward takes his seat right back down on the bench as he still isn't healthy yet, Brad just wanted to force the team to burn a timeout.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur