Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard  (Read 12102 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'd send out Irving or Hayward as the focal point.  Note, this package is only happening if there are no concerns over this future, health, and contract renewal. 

A big reason why dealing for Leonard is troublesome is we potentially need to bring in someone else to maximize the value of a pairing. 

Irving and Memphis pick for Leonard.  Simple and clean. Scoring is swapped. Lose our closer for another.  Is Hayward with Leonard a better fit?

Hayward and Memphis pick for Leonard and salary.  Trading positions. Upgrade our defense and rebounding.  Probably offensive fluidity is jeopardized.  Are Irving and Leonard a good fit?

I personally think a move for Leonard would elevate us to the top of the East (assuming his health and interest in the franchise).  I would prefer to have him paired with another player than either Irving or Hayward.  Leonard has had success with skilled bigs.  I'm a big Jokic fan.  I know it wouldn't realistically happen.  But I'd make a deal for Jokic, swapping star for star. Jokic and Leonard would be the perfect match of skills and athleticism. 

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I just don't want to give anyone up.

Kyrie is our best player. Not much of a leap; not worth it.

Hayward hasn't played yet, chose to come here, and is Brad's guy. I honestly haven't seen him play much, but he practically can't  be traded anyway under the circumstances.

Horford...we would create a big hole. I don't really want to go this direction due to the signal to other fa's, trying to lose the 'trader Danny' thing, etc.

But then it's down to giving up too many really good, possibly special pieces to come up with enough salary to trade for a player that could play in pain for the duration.

We're just not really in a spot to trade for a max guy. It's not like 2007, when all of our good young players were picked 15+; our young guys now look like 20pt allstar potential. They defend.  They play, and we still win with youth.

Even our rookies, Tatum, Theis, and Semi, are all contributing rotation players at least. That's nuts. By themselves, they might be enough value for a coming-off-injury Kawhi that I might think twice.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
With the rumours of Leonard wanting to leave The Spurs due to problems with the treatment of his injury
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/1/23/16924684/jalen-rose-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-wants-out
I think we should just for fun discuss if we can come up with an interesting trade for him.

Can we use our trade exception in some kind of creative deal?

Trade exceptions cannot be used in 3 way trades. They can only be used to bring in a player that has one year left on their deal.

Also there's been discussions for this already, but I'll start by saying any Kawhi trade should be considered the same as any AD trade...

Untouchable for now, but Spurs certainly not going to start any negotiations without first starting off with the Lakers pick, (if it conveys) Brown, Rozier, and one of Memphis or Clippers pick.
trade exceptions do not have to be used on a player with only 1 year left.  the disabled player exception has that restriction but a regular trade exception does not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: woj: "tremendous disconnect" Between kawhi and spurs
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If there was a trade, would Irving and Leonard be more redundant (scoring wise) than Leonard and Hayward (position wise)? 

Absolutely not.

Kawhi is not a player you can run your offense through, he is a player you run offense for. Meaning someone else has to be the initiator/creator (Kyrie).

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 05:54:31 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

If there was a trade, would Irving and Leonard be more redundant (scoring wise) than Leonard and Hayward (position wise)? 

Absolutely not.

Kawhi is not a player you can run your offense through, he is a player you run offense for. Meaning someone else has to be the initiator/creator (Kyrie).

This is where I’m not certain. Khawi led 2026-17 spurs offense, impressively. He had Parker and mills to initiate offense, but we have that in Smart and could easily pick up someone. As for Irving, he has shown he needs a point guard next to him because he wants to be a shooting guard. Only reason I say he wants to be a shooting guard is that he doesn’t make the team first decisions that are traditionally used by pg to control game. He has shown he prefers being the focal point of offense so he can do his thing, which includes attacking. He hasn’t shown us this season that improvement expected of being a game manager. This brings me back to redundancy because that was Khawi was doing. This is why scoring might constrained. Irving would also take the biggest hit integrating Kawhi into offense.

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Hayward coming back so no need for Leonard...got Tatum and brown
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Hayward coming back so no need for Leonard...got Tatum and brown

Exactly, given the package that would be needed to trade for Kawhi is similar to Davis, Leonard's role wouldn't been as effective as Davis.

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Ainge considers Davis the "end game" if he's considering another trade for a star.

That's not to say Ainge will definitely make a trade, as he could keep this team and simply add a healthy Hayward + a few more high draft picks (Kings, Grizzlies in 2019), but if Ainge swings another trade I think he'd prefer Davis.

I don't think Leonard is as available as anyone thinks, whereas with Davis, you have to think if Cousins doesn't return and the Pelicans are still somewhat mediocre by next season, Davis will get dealt, or Pelicans will at least hear offers. Again, the chances are slim, but I don't think ANYONE saw Kyrie getting traded in the summer back in May.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
1.There is no prove Kawhi can perform what he performed under Pop
2.Big red flag about his injury
3.Questionable work ethic(this drama)

To much concern to give anything of big value for him

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 06:29:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

exactly ! why Yabu and two second rounders would be a great deal  ;D

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

I think the first two are fair points, but that third one is a swing and miss. You dont show the kind of immense improvement Leonard has (mid round pick to MVP candidate) without having a good work ethic. The improvement in his shooting alone shows he works at his craft.

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If he does get traded, as long as it's not to the Lakers, Warriors or Cavaliers, I'll be happy.

I don't think he gets traded BUT it's certainly getting interesting. I think there is something going on between Kawhi and the Spurs behind the scenes. Doesn't mean it can't get resolved but it's also hard to overlook that Kawhi doesn't want to come back even though the Spurs are a Top-4 team in the West without him (just imagine how they'd be WITH him + Gay), and he's been medically cleared for a while according to reports.  ???

I wouldn't be at all Shocked if he is traded to the Lakers. A package built around Ingram and additional pieces could make some sense for the Spurs. ( I know Cs can likely offer a better package but im not sure they want to spend themselves out of the AD trade market.)

Trading for Kawi (an LA native) once again makes the Lakers an obvious Lebron landing spot. The trick will be building a team around those two.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
If he does get traded, as long as it's not to the Lakers, Warriors or Cavaliers, I'll be happy.

I don't think he gets traded BUT it's certainly getting interesting. I think there is something going on between Kawhi and the Spurs behind the scenes. Doesn't mean it can't get resolved but it's also hard to overlook that Kawhi doesn't want to come back even though the Spurs are a Top-4 team in the West without him (just imagine how they'd be WITH him + Gay), and he's been medically cleared for a while according to reports.  ???

I wouldn't be at all Shocked if he is traded to the Lakers. A package built around Ingram and additional pieces could make some sense for the Spurs. ( I know Cs can likely offer a better package but im not sure they want to spend themselves out of the AD trade market.)

Trading for Kawi (an LA native) once again makes the Lakers an obvious Lebron landing spot. The trick will be building a team around those two.

Price will definitely be two of Ingram/Ball/Kuzma, and *possibly* Randle in a S&T, OR some additional salary pieces I believe.

Yeah they'd have to find creative ways to acquire a solid bench in that case.

And in terms of Boston, I think they only go after a Davis or Leonard, NOT Both (in regards to the bolded part of your post). I'd say BOS has enough ammo for just 1 more star trade, so Ainge will have to be a bit careful and patient navigating this route.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 03:32:17 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Add the 76ers to that list. I really would hate to see Embiid with Leonard against us

And what would the 76ers give up for Leonard, Simmons?  Doubtful they want to get rid of that kid and I'm pretty sure Spurs are not interested in a broken jumpshot Markelle Fultz.

Celtics still have the biggest stash of tradeable assets.  If Leonard becomes available in the offseason, I have to believe we are top of the list of desirable trade partners.

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Add the 76ers to that list. I really would hate to see Embiid with Leonard against us

And what would the 76ers give up for Leonard, Simmons?  Doubtful they want to get rid of that kid and I'm pretty sure Spurs are not interested in a broken jumpshot Markelle Fultz.

Celtics still have the biggest stash of tradeable assets.  If Leonard becomes available in the offseason, I have to believe we are top of the list of desirable trade partners.
The Sixers have a pretty nice collection of assets, including either the Lakers pick this summer or the Kings pick the following summer.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a package of Fultz, Saric, Covington, LAL/SAC, plus two future 1sts land Leonard and Gasol (or some other big contract SAS would dump in that scenario).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip