Author Topic: DeMarcus Cousins is out for the rest of the season with torn left achilles  (Read 14738 times)

Re: DeMarcus Cousins is out for the rest of the season with torn left achilles
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
One major factor is how massive and heavy DeMarcus Cousins is.  At about 290, you’d think that he’d have a harder time returning to his previous form than smaller players who sustained the same injury.  Wouldn’t be surprised if his rehab involved a weight loss regiment to alleviate the weight on his lower body.

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
wow, terrible injury.  Good luck to Boogie for his rehab.  I hope he comes back as good as ever.
ruptured achilles is a bad injury.

This will not happen after an achilles tear.

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Really don't understand why you guys think Cousins is finished...

Kevin Pelton says:

Gay's example provides hope but, on average, players coming back from Achilles injuries see their production decline by about 8 percent compared to what we would project based on their past performance and age. The good news is Cousins is so dominant he can afford to decline by 8 percent and remain a very good player. Nonetheless, it's possible that this injury will rob us of the peak Boogie we saw this season in New Orleans. And that has huge ramifications for both him and the Pelicans.

CONCLUSION:
An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury that prevents RTP [return to play] for 30.6% of professional players. Athletes who do return play in fewer games, have less play time, and perform at a lower level than their preinjury status. However, these functional deficits are seen only at 1 year after surgery compared with matched controls, such that players who return to play can expect to perform at a level commensurate with uninjured controls 2 years postoperatively.

When individual sports were compared, NBA players were most significantly affected, experiencing significant decreases in games played, play time, and performance.

__

So going by Pelton's 8% decline, Cousins would have numbers like.

20.16 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 4 APG, 1.28 SPG/BPG.

Yeah those are still Allstar numbers...

I still think if anyone can bounce back, it's Cousins... He has improved himself in every facet of his game, just like Lebron. If he can still manage to put up 18/9/2-3 APG, he's still arguably a top 5-6 Center.

I think those numbers are highly optimistic since the majority of examples are much smaller than Cousins . This quote is pretty accurate considering Cousins' size.

@KeithSmithNBA
History has been very unkind to big men coming back from a torn Achilles'. Patrick Ewing, Elton Brand, Mehmet Okur, Christian Laettner, Stanley Roberts and Mo Taylor are examples I could find. None were the same after. Many were close to done. Just a sad situation all around.

That is true, but none of the players you listed have any of the offensive skillsets that Cousins possess...

With Cousins being able to spread the floor, wide body, and smart passer... I think while he won't be as dominant, he's still gonna put up nice numbers. His game doesn't rely on his speed or athleticism, although it has helped him greatly.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Jesus guys, Demarcus just suffered a season ending injury that very well could be career altering, can we at least give it 24 hours before we start salivating over Anthony Davis like tactless vultures?

Why? Are sport related/non-life threatening injuries part of the grieving process?

Because someone has spent decades of their lives trying to get to this level of play and has sustained an injury that has proven to be detrimental to careers. Might not be a literal death, but it's the death of a dream.

You're right, poor Cousins. Such an unfortunate soul, hopefully he's saved some of the few dollars he earned for playing a sport and doesn't end up homeless.

Talk about first world concerns of first world problems.

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Jesus guys, Demarcus just suffered a season ending injury that very well could be career altering, can we at least give it 24 hours before we start salivating over Anthony Davis like tactless vultures?

Why? Are sport related/non-life threatening injuries part of the grieving process?
apparently we're supposed to hold hands and sing kumbaya for 24 hrs for cousins before we can discuss basketball

Don't have to sing Kumbaya , just have some respect for the work these athletes put in to get here and compassion when that hard work is threatened. Perhaps because I work with athletes and see how these injuries impact them, I've developed a heart.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I know that we all feel bad for Demarcus and this injury but we don't need to grieve over it. We can still discuss things related to his injury. I mean worst case scenario is that it is career ending and I would take my chances living from this day forward with what he has rather than living with my retirement. He is going to get signed by someone even though he has this horrific injury and whatever he gets signed for will probably more than many of us will make in a lifetime. Yes it probably won't be the max contract he could have gotten but I am sure he will be able to live comfortably with whatever it is.

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Worst injury in sports.

Awful for Demarcus and for Nola.

2 more years of AD down the drain.
Definitely not the worst injury in sports.  People have died and been paralyzed for life from sports injuries.  Cousins will most likely be back around mid season next year.   

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Because someone has spent decades of their lives trying to get to this level of play and has sustained an injury that has proven to be detrimental to careers. Might not be a literal death, but it's the death of a dream.
Well i had a sickness that literally almost killed me and also make me seriously thinking about suicide for it's mental/physical limitation and frustration but i made it through, so a Achilis tendon rupture from a millionare and also one i don't specially like just don't cause my grief that much

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Worst injury in sports.

Awful for Demarcus and for Nola.

2 more years of AD down the drain.
Definitely not the worst injury in sports.  People have died and been paralyzed for life from sports injuries.  Cousins will most likely be back around mid season next year.
i think he means worst realistic injury. of course someone could die
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dominique Wilkins had it and played 7 more seasons..Wes Matthews and Elton Brand also suffer same injury..Isaiah Thomas had it and retire soon after
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

apparently we're supposed to hold hands and sing kumbaya for 24 hrs for cousins before we can discuss basketball

Don't have to sing Kumbaya , just have some respect for the work these athletes put in to get here and compassion when that hard work is threatened. Perhaps because I work with athletes and see how these injuries impact them, I've developed a heart.

Nobody here posted that they were glad that Cousins was injured. In fact, I would reason that most feel it's unfortunate. However, you come off as really self righteous when you start calling people on this thread "tactless vultures" that have to adhere to some mythical 24 hour grace period.

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Dominique Wilkins had it and played 7 more seasons..Wes Matthews and Elton Brand also suffer same injury..Isaiah Thomas had it and retire soon after

You should fix the Isiah Thomas or people might take it seriously...

Isiah Thomas's Q/A after the injury with SoCal Sports.

I imagine your recovery was different simply because you weren’t rehabbing to return to the court. But just to get a sense of what that recovery entailed, can you take me through what you had to do to get the Achilles fully healed?

Well, the decision that I made was that if I was going to rehab and go into therapy, which I didn’t, to try to get back and play and everything, I didn’t want to have a cast on after surgery. Most doctors when they hear that will think that’s not a good idea. The atrophy that would have occurred around your cast and quads and the loss of strength, I didn’t think if I was going to play in the World Games that I would have enough time to still build those muscles back up.

I was under a pretty strict workout program. I couldn’t put any weight on my right Achilles because any weight on it would totally ruin the surgery and everything else. I was careful not to do any weight-bearing exercises and so forth and so on. The thing I didn’t want to deal with was the atrophy. I don’t know what Kobe’s situation was. But again, the casting and everything else is so different than it was back then. The use of plastics and everything else and air pressure casts. It’s not the concrete mold we used to get.

What do you think Kobe can take away from how Dominique Wilkens recovered from his injury?

Dominique, his game changed. He wasn’t a high flyer anymore, but he knew how to score in the post. He knew how to get to the foul line. His jump shot became better. Kobe has all those things anyway. He’s going to be able to score because he’s going to be able to still post. He’ll be able to get to the foul line. His jump shot is always going to be money. That’s like riding a bike. People will still be saying when he’s 55, don’t leave Kobe open. Don’t leave him open. Will he be as explosive as a dunker as he was last year? That I don’t know. But will he be able to score? Absolutely. He’ll be able to score. The question I think for him will always be, ‘Can I dominate?’ Most people who have played at his level, yeah you can get 20 or 25. But if the other guy is getting 40, it doesn’t sit well.

If you look at the stat sheet at the end of the day and you got 20 and 12, and the other guy has 20 and 12, you’re thinking that’s not good. If you got 20 and 12, and the other guy has 8 and 10 and struggles that night, you want to be able to dominate your opponent at his level. I think the thing that he, like most of the great ones, you really pride yourself on stopping the other guy. Most people don’t really talk about that. But when you look at Kobe, the thing I’ve seen over the years that he has really taken pride in was shut that other person down. Scoring on the other guy, you can still do that. He’ll always be able to do that when he’s 60. Would he be able to stop that other guy. That’s the thing. That’s where the dominant mindset comes in.

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You're right, poor Cousins. Such an unfortunate soul, hopefully he's saved some of the few dollars he earned for playing a sport and doesn't end up homeless.

Would you feel the same way if Gordon came back this season and reinjured himself?  Or if Al takes another hit to the head and develops post concussion syndrome?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Would you feel the same way if Gordon came back this season and reijured himself?  Or if Al takes another hit to the head and develops post concussion syndrome?

Well... I mean... That's the horrible part of playing professional sports that comes with it... These athletes aren't little men... They are grown men, and they know the risks they take participating in this high level of intensity.

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Would you feel the same way if Gordon came back this season and reinjured himself?  Or if Al takes another hit to the head and develops post concussion syndrome?

Yes, obviously. It's a sport and injuries happen. I'm a fan of the C's, so I wish them to be healthy, but let's keep things in perspective. This isn't a tragic incident and if you think it is then you might lack real life experiences. Again, real tragedy puts the difference between sports and life in perspective.