Author Topic: DeMarcus Cousins is out for the rest of the season with torn left achilles  (Read 14727 times)

Re: DeMarcus Cousins is out for the rest of the season with torn left achilles
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2018, 10:24:45 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Pelicans aren't going to trade Davis unless he demands a trade and that is highly unlikely because he'd lose his chance for the designated veteran extension.  The Pelicans were in a good position to make the playoffs with Davis and Cousins, without a decent SF and overall misfit supporting cast. 

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What the Pels should try to do is convince Cousins to sign a 2-year deal.  At the end of it he’ll be eligible for the 10 year max, so if he recovers he’ll be eligible for a top max deal with Bird rights.  If he doesn’t, then they’re not on the hook for an extra 2-3 years, and two year from now will be a trade deadline for them to still move Davis if it’s clear Cousins isn’t ever going to recover enough.

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Pelicans have Davis for 2 more years. Davis will be still highly valuable and he has shown he can be patient, and loyal to a certain extent. If you don't make any dumb mistakes, I can see AD willing to wait it out for Cousins for one more year.

I also don't think Cousins will lose that much. I'm very convinced that he might be a step slower, but generally with his array of post moves, skills, and body he can manage to generate fouls or score with similar stats as this year. Drop in production? Maybe a little bit to be honest.

But what can the Pelicans do if they do sign DMC for the max, and he isn't the same, plus AD wants out? Worst scenario to be in.
Pilicans can choose to drag, but our young wing will grow and Davis will become cheaper, there is sling chance they will get even closer value for AD versus right now, like if we really contend this or next year then we won't want to trade, by then who is gonna trade value for him?

And torn Achilis is no joke, like barely NO ONE can come back to their old self bad, especially for a big man, who also depend on agility and likes to drive from the 3 line, are Pilicans really gonna bet against THIS odds? is AD?

AD is going to fetch a hefty sum... Ainge is a great trader, but AD is an superstar... Nothing short of Lakers pick, (if it conveys) and Brown will start the conversation. I think Tatum is off limits, but Brown certainly seems like a perfect fit for the Pelicans. You guys have to be more realistic and stop thinking the Pelicans are in a position of no leverage... We are going to lose some prized assets... Just like we lost Crowder, (who at the time was the best bargain contract,) Thomas, (injured but well established Allstar,) and the Brooklyn Nets pick. And the Cavaliers were already far worse in leverage, because Kyrie wanted out.

Torn Achilles is definitely no joke, I certainly agree with that assessment.

Here is a list of previous injuries DMC has faced... With every lingering injury, which is relevant due to the 'injury prone,' flag or tag that people associate with DMC.

01/26/2018   Torn Achilles
04/06/2017   Sore Achilles
03/25/2017   Sprained Right Ankle
01/30/2016   Left Ankle Sprain
11/25/2015   Sore Back
11/01/2015   Strained Right Achilles
04/07/2015   Sore Right Foot
03/18/2015   Right Calf Strain
02/27/2015   Sprained Left Ankle
01/17/2015   Right Ankle Sprain
12/26/2014   Stomach Illness
11/30/2014   Viral Meningitis
02/18/2014   Strained Left Hip Flexor
01/22/2014   Ankle
12/03/2013   Ankle Injury

And yet... He still comes back every year dominating...

Boogie will come back maybe not exactly the same, but he'll still have the ability to score down low, shoot, and pass. We all know Boogie isn't the best defender, but with AD switching on everything, he doesn't have to focus as much.

What the Pels should try to do is convince Cousins to sign a 2-year deal.  At the end of it he’ll be eligible for the 10 year max, so if he recovers he’ll be eligible for a top max deal with Bird rights.  If he doesn’t, then they’re not on the hook for an extra 2-3 years, and two year from now will be a trade deadline for them to still move Davis if it’s clear Cousins isn’t ever going to recover enough.

That is true, but Cousins probably won't agree to that. Wouldn't it be better to get paid now, versus waiting 2 more years?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don’t think that it’s the right time for Boogie to bet on himself. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That is true, but Cousins probably won't agree to that. Wouldn't it be better to get paid now, versus waiting 2 more years?

I wasn’t suggesting the Pels pay him peanuts for two years.  I still think he’ll get at or near the max.  Just suggesting the Pels should try to use the 10-year max as a way to shorten the deal for him so they have an escape if he can’t come back.

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Pelicans have Davis for 2 more years. Davis will be still highly valuable and he has shown he can be patient, and loyal to a certain extent. If you don't make any dumb mistakes, I can see AD willing to wait it out for Cousins for one more year.

I also don't think Cousins will lose that much. I'm very convinced that he might be a step slower, but generally with his array of post moves, skills, and body he can manage to generate fouls or score with similar stats as this year. Drop in production? Maybe a little bit to be honest.

But what can the Pelicans do if they do sign DMC for the max, and he isn't the same, plus AD wants out? Worst scenario to be in.
Pilicans can choose to drag, but our young wing will grow and Davis will become cheaper, there is sling chance they will get even closer value for AD versus right now, like if we really contend this or next year then we won't want to trade, by then who is gonna trade value for him?

And torn Achilis is no joke, like barely NO ONE can come back to their old self bad, especially for a big man, who also depend on agility and likes to drive from the 3 line, are Pilicans really gonna bet against THIS odds? is AD?

AD is going to fetch a hefty sum... Ainge is a great trader, but AD is an superstar... Nothing short of Lakers pick, (if it conveys) and Brown will start the conversation. I think Tatum is off limits, but Brown certainly seems like a perfect fit for the Pelicans. You guys have to be more realistic and stop thinking the Pelicans are in a position of no leverage... We are going to lose some prized assets... Just like we lost Crowder, (who at the time was the best bargain contract,) Thomas, (injured but well established Allstar,) and the Brooklyn Nets pick. And the Cavaliers were already far worse in leverage, because Kyrie wanted out.

Torn Achilles is definitely no joke, I certainly agree with that assessment.

Here is a list of previous injuries DMC has faced... With every lingering injury, which is relevant due to the 'injury prone,' flag or tag that people associate with DMC.

01/26/2018   Torn Achilles
04/06/2017   Sore Achilles
03/25/2017   Sprained Right Ankle
01/30/2016   Left Ankle Sprain
11/25/2015   Sore Back
11/01/2015   Strained Right Achilles
04/07/2015   Sore Right Foot
03/18/2015   Right Calf Strain
02/27/2015   Sprained Left Ankle
01/17/2015   Right Ankle Sprain
12/26/2014   Stomach Illness
11/30/2014   Viral Meningitis
02/18/2014   Strained Left Hip Flexor
01/22/2014   Ankle
12/03/2013   Ankle Injury

And yet... He still comes back every year dominating...

Boogie will come back maybe not exactly the same, but he'll still have the ability to score down low, shoot, and pass. We all know Boogie isn't the best defender, but with AD switching on everything, he doesn't have to focus as much.

1.AD torn anything
2.AD wants out
3.Brown break out / we are contending as a team
4.Cousins recovery went wrong
Any of those happen and Pilicans lose all the leverage
they will have no choice but to take the best package avalible and it won't be a hual
right now they can get Brown and laker pick for sure, possible 2 more first rounders, and do a quicker rebuild

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this is horrible.

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
That's terrible luck for Cousins, just as he's entering free agency. I wish him all the best in his recovery, but torn achilles, as others have said, is a tough injury to come back to full form.

So who takes his all-star spot now, does Lou Williams finally get his recognition?

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

He may not have another choice.  He wasn't a hot commodity before the injury.  Plenty of teams just don't want to deal with his baggage.  Now he'll probably miss a good chink of next season and it is far from certain that he'll be able to play at the same level again.   

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
That's terrible luck for Cousins, just as he's entering free agency. I wish him all the best in his recovery, but torn achilles, as others have said, is a tough injury to come back to full form.

So who takes his all-star spot now, does Lou Williams finally get his recognition?
I'd guess Chris Paul. 

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He may not have another choice.  He wasn't a hot commodity before the injury.  Plenty of teams just don't want to deal with his baggage.  Now he'll probably miss a good chink of next season and it is far from certain that he'll be able to play at the same level again.   

I think the Lakers would give him a four year max in a second.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Lakers and Mavs would give him the 4 year max contract faster than you can say, "Practice?"

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Tendon ruptures of any sort are just about the worst injury in sports. Sports medicine has made strides, but strength and range of motion are going to be lost on some level. Look at guys like Victor Cruz (patella tendon rupture) and Wes Matthews (achilles rupture) - they came back, but not as the players they once were. Rudy Gay has shown promise, but he's been injured with an heel issue the past few months that may or may not be related. The real concern I have about Boogie is his size - not just the fact that he's a 7footer, but that he weights upwards of 270. He's sneakily athletic and nimble for a guy his size, but it's reasonable to assume that might never fully come back for him now.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I feel bad for him. However from a selfish point of view I'm glad we're done with the Trade for DC threads for a while and yes I do think it brings us closer to A Davis

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Kevin Pelton says:

Gay's example provides hope but, on average, players coming back from Achilles injuries see their production decline by about 8 percent compared to what we would project based on their past performance and age. The good news is Cousins is so dominant he can afford to decline by 8 percent and remain a very good player. Nonetheless, it's possible that this injury will rob us of the peak Boogie we saw this season in New Orleans. And that has huge ramifications for both him and the Pelicans.

CONCLUSION:
An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury that prevents RTP [return to play] for 30.6% of professional players. Athletes who do return play in fewer games, have less play time, and perform at a lower level than their preinjury status. However, these functional deficits are seen only at 1 year after surgery compared with matched controls, such that players who return to play can expect to perform at a level commensurate with uninjured controls 2 years postoperatively.

When individual sports were compared, NBA players were most significantly affected, experiencing significant decreases in games played, play time, and performance.

__

So going by Pelton's 8% decline, Cousins would have numbers like.

20.16 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 4 APG, 1.28 SPG/BPG.

Yeah those are still Allstar numbers...

I still think if anyone can bounce back, it's Cousins... He has improved himself in every facet of his game, just like Lebron. If he can still manage to put up 18/9/2-3 APG, he's still arguably a top 5-6 Center.