Author Topic: Wes Matthews available for a 1st  (Read 4551 times)

Re: Wes Matthews available for a 1st
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Maybe they can get a protected 1st if they're willing to take on a longer contract.
I was thinking something like that.  I mean would the Cavs trade JR Smith (and Rose for filler) and their 1st this year for Matthews.

Why would the Cavs even think of doing that...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydddok4x

> Dallas trades Wes Matthews (2 years @ 18M per) and receives Al Jefferson (1 years @ 10M per if decline team option), Darren Collison (2 years @ 10M per), Glenn Robinson III (expiring 1.5M, RFA rights), and future NO first round pick

> NO trades Jrue Holiday and future 1st and gets Wes Matthews

> Indy trades Collison + Al Jefferson + Robinson III and gets Jrue Holiday

Dallas trims some salary, gets a first round pick, a veteran point guard to mentor DSJ and an expiring RFA.
NO gets a much better and needed roster fit in Wes, Rondo plays point full time and a subsequent move to get a backup point guard can be made if Jameer Nelson isn't cutting it.  Spencer Dinwiddie perhaps?
Indy trades 3 nickels for a quarter.  Jrue is a bad contract, but they ain't getting any free agents to sign there.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

> Dallas trades Wes Matthews (2 years @ 18M per) and receives Al Jefferson (1 years @ 10M per if decline team option), Darren Collison (2 years @ 10M per), Glenn Robinson III (expiring 1.5M, RFA rights), and future NO first round pick

Dallas trims some salary, gets a first round pick, a veteran point guard to mentor DSJ and an expiring RFA.
NO gets a much better and needed roster fit in Wes, Rondo plays point full time and a subsequent move to get a backup point guard can be made if Jameer Nelson isn't cutting it.  Spencer Dinwiddie perhaps?
Indy trades 3 nickels for a quarter.  Jrue is a bad contract, but they ain't getting any free agents to sign there.

Can't really see any team doing that to be honest..

Jrue may be a bad contract, but he's vastly still a better player than NO. The New Orleans needs a consistent SG, but they also need a SF more. Spencer Dimwiddie isn't going away for nothing, Nets value him highly.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Jrue may be a bad contract, but he's vastly still a better player than NO. The New Orleans needs a consistent SG, but they also need a SF more. Spencer Dimwiddie isn't going away for nothing, Nets value him highly.

I think NO just needs true SG/SF wing type players, not either particular position more than the other.  Wes is that exactly kind of player and actually has played 67% of his minutes at SF this season.  Solomon Hill is a SF when he eventually returns as well.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I think NO just needs true SG/SF wing type players, not either particular position more than the other.  Wes is that exactly kind of player and actually has played 67% of his minutes at SF this season.  Solomon Hill is a SF when he eventually returns as well.

But there is no way in hell you can justify giving up a 1st rounder for someone like Wesley Matthews. Even if you believe Matthews is better than Jrue, which he is not, it would be a tough sell to take on Matthews especially with his injury history. And Solomon Hill is probably one of the worst SF in the league lol. (I take it back, he's a great defender, just not the best floor spacer.)

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Maybe they can get a protected 1st if they're willing to take on a longer contract.
I was thinking something like that.  I mean would the Cavs trade JR Smith (and Rose for filler) and their 1st this year for Matthews.

Why would the Cavs even think of doing that...
Matthews is a much better shooter than Smith, is a better defender (at least this year), and is signed for 1 less year (though for more money over the next 2).  The 1st rounder is going to be in the 20's, so it isn't a ton of value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I know this is practically impossible, but I'd love for Dallas to work out a deal where they trade Matthews for Avery, then Dalas waives Avery which the Celtics then use the DPE to bring him back.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I know this is practically impossible, but I'd love for Dallas to work out a deal where they trade Matthews for Avery, then Dalas waives Avery which the Celtics then use the DPE to bring him back.

Yeah that would never happen lol.... And even then, I'm not sure, but you cannot bring back players you traded after one year, correct? Even if their waived?

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Yeah that would never happen lol.... And even then, I'm not sure, but you cannot bring back players you traded after one year, correct? Even if their waived?

Actually you can! As long as you are not the last team to trade the player, you can bring him back less than a year after you traded him. I learned this from the Andrew Bogut trade to Philly last year.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/2/23/14721712/andrew-bogut-warriors-bought-out-waivers-nba-trade-deadline

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Actually you can! As long as you are not the last team to trade the player, you can bring him back less than a year after you traded him. I learned this from the Andrew Bogut trade to Philly last year.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/2/23/14721712/andrew-bogut-warriors-bought-out-waivers-nba-trade-deadline

Ah, I see. I forgot about that trade, yes AB would be nice on this team, but is he starting over Jaylen?

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Ah, I see. I forgot about that trade, yes AB would be nice on this team, but is he starting over Jaylen?

Nah. I'd see him taking Terry's/Smart's minutes off the bench.

Avery actually hasn't been that good this season for Detroit. He had a great start but has cooled off. I wonder if the rape allegations have affected his game mentally.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’d give up a top-30 protected first for him.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
No, the Cavs will not give up a first to add a player for this season. They will keep the pick for life after Lebron.

A bad contract doesn't even help keep Lebron. That is partly how Cleveland lost him the first time -- throwing money at underwhelming additions to appease Lebron.

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I’d give up a top-30 protected first for him.
While I appreciate the joke, I wouldn't even give that (impossible to convey) pick because of the contract. I just would not want the contract at all. Plus, we would have to give up a lot of players to match the contract.

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

So this trade:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8wx8gf8

Dallas gets a lottery protected 1st that turns into two seconds.  Detroit gets Matthews for this season and next, and gets rid of Galloway’s ill-advised contract.  Dallas gets something for Matthews and clears enough room for a max deal next summer.  Avery gets a buyout and the C’s bring him back for the DPE.  And CelticsBlog complains when Brad runs out the Kyrie-Smart-Rozier-Bradley lineup.