Author Topic: Mock Trade Deadline  (Read 49820 times)

Re: Mock Trade Dealine
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Can there be a few days where no trades can go in?  It makes this not work well imo

LOL this is my first time doing this and I already kind of feel overwhelmed.

I can only imagine how the real GMs feel  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
How long is this going to last? 

« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Breaking news out of Los Angeles:

LA traded Julius Randle to the New York Knicks, in exchange for Willy Hernangomez, Doug McDermott, and the 2018 Chicago 2nd round draft pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybygzls8

Team statements will be released shortly.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2018, 11:20:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

LA traded Julius Randle to the New York Knicks, in exchange for Willy Hernangomez, Doug McDermott, and the 2018 Chicago 2nd round draft pick.

Since this is a 2 for 1 trade, someone will need to be released to free up a roster spot.  I'd assume Nigel Hayes since he's on a 10 day contract. 

Edit:  BTW, another nice trade for you.  Even though acquired players can't be traded in this exercise, I'd assume acquired picks could be. 

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2018, 11:27:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
To give some non-PR thoughts on why I did this, and why I think the real Pels should do this (although they won’t):

1). They cant resign Boogie.  Achilles injuries are bad stuff.  Players simply don’t return to their prior form after them, and certainly not within a year.  He’s getting a max deal from someone (more on that later).  And if the Pels max him, they’ll be over the luxury tax with only ten players on their roster.  They could go into the tax for a healthy Boogie, but not one who’s missing at least half the season.  They’d miss the playoffs.  It would also put them over the tax line the following season.

2) If they let Boogie walk, (or he just signs elsewhere) they still have no cap room to replace him.  So that’s even worse.  AD certainly wouldn’t be happy.

3) The solution to the above could be dumping bad salaries via trade.  But the Pels have little to offer in order to dump contracts.  Including Hield, they’ve traded away all their 1sts going back to Anthony Davis.  4 of their last 5 were traded on draft night or in advance of the draft.  Trading a pick to get rid of an unaffordable contract isn’t going to advance this team.

4) Given that, I felt the Pels needed to trade Boogie.  And ultimately, I like the players received to varying degrees.  Clarkson can play on or off ball, which means he can play with any of the other guards in New Orleans backcourt.  They already have a 3-guard starting rotation as is, and he’ll fit right in.  I do like Nance a bit, especially as a defender and screen setter, which again fits well on that roster.  Hart is a prospect more than someone who’s useful this year, but as mentioned above, the Pels don’t have those.  But he has a reasonable chance to be a rotation piece in the next season or two.

5) I felt the Pels, as a franchise, need to make the playoffs to keep Davis happy.  This keeps that possibility alive.  With all the injuries they’ve had this year, they were down to 9 usable players (2-way players and 10-day contract types regularly dress).  Getting two healthy contributors really mattered a lot.  They were also about a million shy of the hard cap, so shedding some payroll does give them additional flexibility to make more trades before the deadline.  Are they going to win a title? Obviously not.  Those hopes (slim as they were) ended last night.  Standing pat would end playoff hopes too, and that seemed like the wrong thing to do for a 27-21 team that’s been in the lottery for most of the decade.

6) There weren’t many, if any, other teams to trade with.  I did have conversations with other teams, even before the injury, and Boogie’s free agency was mentioned every time, with multiple people suggesting he’d wind up in LA.  Accordingly, the Lakers could offer the most.  It was a rough hand to be dealt, and it wasn’t where I thought I’d be 24 hours earlier.  I do think the Pels need to do a trade like this or commit themselves to going far into the luxury tax with an injured Cousins.  They can’t just dip their toe in next year, or make trades to avoid it.  It’s all or nothing.

7) This trade doesn’t force the AD decision right now.  If an offer that can’t be refused comes along, the Pelicans can pull the trigger.  But they can still keep trying to be competitive around AD in the meanwhile.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:36:04 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2018, 11:35:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Agree with all of what salt says.  He was dealt a crappy situation simply without much available to improve it and I think he made a slight improvement.

NOP just got 3 bench players and 6.5M in salary relief and trade exception.  AD would not be pleased with this trade.
NOP just turned 1 injured player into 3 healthy players though.  If AD's not pleased, its with the injury, not the trade.  This trade wouldn't have been made if Cousins was healthy.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Wait are team statements required for this?  :o

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Wait are team statements required for this?  :o

No, but it’s fun if you do.

« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Breaking: Following the Julius Randle trade, the LA Lakers have cut Nigel Hayes in order to make space for Doug McDermott.

The Lakers would like to thank Julius for all he provided to LA in his time here, persevering through a broken leg and being asked to do many different things during his tenure here while acting professionally the whole way. We wish him the best in New York.

We felt as though in order to maximize our Free Agency activities this summer we had to make some sacrifices. Now we have a cost controlled big in Hernangomez, who will shoulder a considerable amount of the load while DeMarcus recovers, and a back up wing in McBuckets. In addition, the 2nd rounder shall likely fall in the 31-36 range, which is a valuable asset in what is shaping up to be a deep draft.

We like this deal for both our organization, and the Knicks.

« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
(Sorry Reply Fail)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:26:39 AM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Agree with all of what salt says.  He was dealt a crappy situation simply without much available to improve it and I think he made a slight improvement.

NOP just got 3 bench players and 6.5M in salary relief and trade exception.  AD would not be pleased with this trade.
NOP just turned 1 injured player into 3 healthy players though.  If AD's not pleased, its with the injury, not the trade.  This trade wouldn't have been made if Cousins was healthy.

As an outside observer I'm fairly confident that AD would be p---ed with this trade. You can say all you want about how you are getting healthy players back but you aren't really moving the needle much at all at this season and you are completely removing any chance of having Demarcus back next season. Jordan Clarkson is arguably a negative asset.

« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2018, 12:20:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

As an outside observer I'm fairly confident that AD would be p---ed with this trade. You can say all you want about how you are getting healthy players back but you aren't really moving the needle much at all at this season and you are completely removing any chance of having Demarcus back next season. Jordan Clarkson is arguably a negative asset.
Quite curious to see how Clarkson is "arguably a negative asset" when he's one of the best bench scorers in the league and is on a pretty decent contract, considering some of the recent ones guys of his ilk have been getting. I don't know what's wrong with him

New Orleans' biggest problem is its depth really, and now they have addressed that in good fashion. I think that the NOP team could make playoffs assuming Davis stays healthy.

« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2018, 12:26:26 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Statement From The New York Knicks:

Today, the New York Knicks have acquired Julius Randle from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Doug McDermott, Willy Hernangomez, and a 2018 2nd Round Pick via the Chicago Bulls.

The New York Knicks organization would like to thank Doug McDermott and Willy Hernangomez for their time here in New York, and for all that they have done for this organization. Both players acted like true professionals in their time here, and gave us meaningful contributions throughout the season when called upon.

McDermott came from OKC through the Carmelo Anthony trade, and gave us good quality minutes while also acting like a veteran presence and a mentor to some of the young players on our team. When we signed Hernangomez two summers ago from Real Madrid, we had some doubts as to what he would become for us, but he honestly exceeded expectations in his first season with the opportunities given, and has helped us quite a bit in the last 20 months playing the front court alongside O'Quinn, Porzingis and Kanter (to name a few). We absolutely wish them the best in LA.

We'd also like to thank Lakers GM Gouki88 for being so respectful and responsive throughout the process.

It wasn't an easy decision for the organization to make, but we felt the need to make this move in an attempt to get even better in the future and also more dynamic. The current logjam in the front court, as well as contract situations also played a part in the decision to make this move. We are excited about the possibility of pairing Randle and Porzingis in the front court, and we are also planning to make every effort to keep Randle around long term here in a Knicks uniform.

We watched Randle play against us just a week ago, and he led the charge, putting up 27 points, 12 rebounds and 5 assists, all on 65% shooting, leading a young Lakers team to an impressive victory. We believe the 23 year old has a lot of room to grow, and alongside Porzingis can become a legitimate star in the league very soon. He can also help Porzingis in some aspects and we hope he aids our front court as a whole.

The Bulls early 2nd round pick this June could be a good pick, but we feel Randle is worth the gamble, and also hope to consolidate more assets as this trade deadline progresses. This is just one of a few other moves we hope to make in the near future, but for now, we are excited to have acquired Julius Randle, and Knicks fans should be ecstatic as well.

We believe it was a great deal for both sides involved, and hope to have Randle start playing for us as soon as possible!

« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2018, 12:27:26 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Quite curious to see how Clarkson is "arguably a negative asset" when he's one of the best bench scorers in the league and is on a pretty decent contract, considering some of the recent ones guys of his ilk have been getting. I don't know what's wrong with him

New Orleans' biggest problem is its depth really, and now they have addressed that in good fashion. I think that the NOP team could make playoffs assuming Davis stays healthy.

He's negative because to move him the Lakers would need to include soething in a trade for someone to take on his contract.

« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2018, 12:31:26 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

He's negative because to move him the Lakers would need to include soething in a trade for someone to take on his contract.
Basically he's and inneffecient Chucker who plays no defense and gets a lot of his stats because he plays on a bad team that needs offense. His advanced numbers are terrible. How terrible? 538's CACRMELO projection system has his 5 years value as NEGATIVE 3.3 million. He has 2 years 26 million left after this season.