Author Topic: PG13 - leaning toward staying in OKC because of Westbrook  (Read 1037 times)

PG13 - leaning toward staying in OKC because of Westbrook
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
"Russ is the reason why this decision is becoming even more easier to make, is the character Russ [has]," George said on Wednesday. "A stand-up guy, and he has his teammate's back."

"We were actually joking before he went up there, and I'm like, 'Nah, Russ, man, just let it go, let it go Russ. It is what it is, I wasn't picked,' and he was like, 'Nah, man, P, that's messed up. I'm gonna tell them something about that,'" George said.

"It was awesome for a teammate to have your back and to stand up," he said. "And to be honest, he should be a starter. He's been the MVP, been the best player at his position. He should've been a starter, but that's another story. But the fact Russ had my back, that's my guy forever, and it's more apparent what this decision needs to be made when it comes down to it."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22205131/paul-george-says-russell-westbrook-all-star-game-support-makes-future-decision-easier

It looks George is leaning pretty heavily to returning to OKC.  Obviously things can change, but George appears to like Westbrook and to like playing with him.  If he stays put that could alter the fortunes of a great number of teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: PG13 - leaning toward staying in OKC because of Westbrook
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Seems like George is basically okay with being the 2nd fiddle. That was the main problem with Durant. He knew he was better, but even if he was reluctantly the better player, their success wasn't consistent enough to keep up with his inner badgering.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Seems like George is basically okay with being the 2nd fiddle. That was the main problem with Durant. He knew he was better, but even if he was reluctantly the better player, their success wasn't consistent enough to keep up with his inner badgering.
I don't know if he is ok with it, but he is probably better as a 2nd fiddle as that fits his game a lot better.  He just isn't a guy that can go out there and consistently score 30 when needed.  He is much more like Pippen than Jordan, so it seems like he and Westbrook might actually be a good match in that regard.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Is this the first time George has played alongside a real NBA star in season?

Funny how that and winning games makes a player want to stay vs joining a really young team that is not winning a lot of games. 

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
They all say that so the fans won't boo him..once free agent starts he's  going to LA
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My question is, how is OKC going to afford going deep into the luxury tax? Are they buying out Carmelo? Trading a couple of starters?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
My question is, how is OKC going to afford going deep into the luxury tax? Are they buying out Carmelo? Trading a couple of starters?
I'd guess Adams would be a trade target this summer (if George comes back).  I'm also not entirely sold on Anthony returning as he might want not want to play in OKC another year (even if it means he gives up a bunch of money to do it - and he certainly could do that given how much he has made in his career).

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'd guess Adams would be a trade target this summer (if George comes back).  I'm also not entirely sold on Anthony returning as he might want not want to play in OKC another year (even if it means he gives up a bunch of money to do it - and he certainly could do that given how much he has made in his career).

I also can't imagine they made the move for Anthony if they didn't already have a plan in place to resign George.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think he's leaning towards staying in OKC because he doesn't want to deal with Lavar.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Does PG really love playing with Russ, or does he just love having his ego stroked?

Effectively it may not matter in terms of him staying, but it could lead to 'buyers remorse' in a year or two when PG realizes what he got himself into.