Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 18915 times)

Re: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Of course you would.

Tatum might become great but a player like Giannis is a true rarity. IMO he's the type of player you'd bend over backwards to acquire.

If we had to do something like Tatum + Horford + Lakers Pick (or whatever coveted pick at the time) I think it would probably be a no brainer for Danny.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
You have to make that deal. I love me some Tatum, but this is some "do we trade Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett" level stuff.

Giannis is an MVP level player in his prime. Tatum is a really good prospect who might get there one day. You trade a prospect for a top-5 player in the league 100 times out of 100.

Tatum, Smart, Morris, Yabusele, LAL18 (let's say #4), two more 1st rounders... and MIL probably still says no.

Irving / Brown/ Hayward/ Giannis core would have a 5+ year window.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am sure we would but they WOULD NOT!

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I mean, you have to, right?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yup. In a minute. But unless Giannis is making a complete mess of things for the Bucks with threats and demands of wanting out of Milwaukee, its not happening.

Feel the same way about Kawhi and San Antonio.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I would not trade Tatum for anyone because his value is the lowest it will ever be. And it's not just an age thing of rookies will always grow and become better. For example, I believe that Jaylen Browns value is the highest it will ever be right now. I don't consider him to be more than a good starter because he doesn't have the killer instinct to be the guy, but some GMs still think that he has star potential.

If it's Giannis for Tatum straight up in a hypothetical world where it's legal, sure. But you'd have to throw in picks, players, the kitchen sink. It's just not worth it.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yes. I would trade Tatum in a package for Giannis every time. We are talking about a 23 year old MVP candidate who is one of the bets defenders in the league. Tatum has been nice, but the chances he ever has a singe season as good as the one Giannis is having right now is very low. Thats before we even factor what his ceiling is to begin with, which is debatable. i view him as more like a paul george level guy if everything goes right, which is really good but easily worth giving up for Giannis.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would not trade Tatum for anyone because his value is the lowest it will ever be. And it's not just an age thing of rookies will always grow and become better. For example, I believe that Jaylen Browns value is the highest it will ever be right now. I don't consider him to be more than a good starter because he doesn't have the killer instinct to be the guy, but some GMs still think that he has star potential.

If it's Giannis for Tatum straight up in a hypothetical world where it's legal, sure. But you'd have to throw in picks, players, the kitchen sink. It's just not worth it.

I dont want to get off topic here but Jaylen Brown in his time in the league has dunked over Lebron, clapped in Currys face, flexed on Cousins and blew kisses at the 76ers bench. I think he has plenty of killer instinct.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

I dont want to get off topic here but Jaylen Brown in his time in the league has dunked over Lebron, clapped in Currys face, flexed on Cousins and blew kisses at the 76ers bench. I think he has plenty of killer instinct.

And yet he's shooting well under league average in FGs % both 0-3 ft and 3-10 ft from rim. For someone as athletic as him, that's a red flag. I'm not talking about attitude. Lance Stephenson does that garbage as well. I'm talking about I have the ball and I'm going to take it down your throat.

I'm sorry to blow the dreams of all, but he's a very average offensive player so far. I'm seeing very little signs of superstar. I'd trade him in the package because some GM might be fooled in thinking he's a franchise player based on the handful of amazing plays he's done. He needs much more consistency to convince me.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

And yet he's shooting well under league average in FGs % both 0-3 ft and 3-10 ft from rim. For someone as athletic as him, that's a red flag. I'm not talking about attitude. Lance Stephenson does that garbage as well. I'm talking about I have the ball and I'm going to take it down your throat.

I'm sorry to blow the dreams of all, but he's a very average offensive player so far. I'm seeing very little signs of superstar. I'd trade him in the package because some GM might be fooled in thinking he's a franchise player based on the handful of amazing plays he's done. He needs much more consistency to convince me.

Signs of superstar is really too high a bar to be fair when analyzing Jaylen Brown.  It's hard for me to look at a 21 yo who is averaging 14 ppg, has shown significant improvement from year 1 to year 2 and appears to have a very high defensive ceiling and not think he has all-star potential (which is a fairer bar).

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

He's shooting 63% from 0-3 feet, 26% from 3-10, 45% from 10-16, 47% from 16-3PT and 38% from 3PT.

He's only attempted 62 shots from 3-10 all year. Overall he's giving us 14 points on 11 FGA. Sure, superstar or franchise player is a lot to ask, but he's above average at age 21 and projects to a 20+ guy in his prime.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yup. In a minute. But unless Giannis is making a complete mess of things for the Bucks with threats and demands of wanting out of Milwaukee, its not happening.

Feel the same way about Kawhi and San Antonio.

Yeah, as I said this is just a purely hypothetical scenario.

As for the "Kawhi drama", wouldn't surprise me if Pop just leaked that to the media to get some chuckles while eating popcorn and reading the reports and trade rumors  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
100% yes.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Wow this poll looks one sided. At one point, it was 5 "yes" vs. 2 "No".

Now it's 26 "yes", 6 "no"  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Brown's value is as high as it ever will be?
Half way through his second year?
At 21?
After being about the most improved player in the league this year?
After tremendously improving his defense, outside shooting, handle, aggressiveness, and ability to finish in traffic?

Wow! Talk about a hot take!