Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 18914 times)

Re: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No I wouldn't do the trade.  In 4 years when Tatum is Giannis' age Tatum will be vastly superior to what Giannis is now.

Vastly superior? That pretty much puts Tatum on Lebron’s level, doesn’t it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
No I wouldn't do the trade.  In 4 years when Tatum is Giannis' age Tatum will be vastly superior to what Giannis is now.

Yessir!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Giannis was 7-17 in a game seven his team had to win.

Kobe was 8-for-24 in Game 7 of the NBA Finals once.

Was he guarded by Ojelly?

Giannis is overrated. If he was not mollycoddled by the refs who allow him to take four steps, his game would be much different.

As I said earlier, I agree that he is overrated.  He is such a "feel-good" story and yes, he is getting way too much deference from the refs that he is being viewed by many as the next big star of the league.  He may not be that but he is a very talented and gifted player.  I suggest that you are overcompensating to the one truth that he is overrated and not fully recognizing that overrated or not, he is still a really good player with still plenty of upside.  Of course, no one knows, we are all just making our best guess.

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Twist the words to whatever meaning you want. I wouldn't do the trade because Tatum is going to be a lot better then Giannis. Giannis is so overrated.

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Twist the words to whatever meaning you want. I wouldn't do the trade because Tatum is going to be a lot better then Giannis. Giannis is so overrated.

Is that twisting your words?

What class of player is “a lot better” or “vastly superior “ to Giannis?

Giannis, at age 23, averaged 26.9 points / 10.0 rebounds / 4.8 assists / 1.5 steals / 1.4 blocks / .545 eFG%.

No player in NBA history has averaged that line, although Larry and Kareem came close. I can’t even imagine “much better” or “vastly superior”. A better KG? Lebron? MJ?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2018, 06:27:17 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You would have to do that deal. Not sure what the other pieces would be but it couldn't be JB but otherwise yes!!

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, the poll was something like 48-16 when I opened it back up.

Since then, 11-4 in favor of "Yes"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
You know a reason why I wouldn't entertain this at all ?
Team

I don't think Ainge should trade his two future corner stone players (see Paul Westphal) in Tatum and Brown.  We have two future all stars and they are KIDS.  I think if you are trading Horford he understands it, his age group of players understands etc.  Trade a 20 year old and I think it will affect the other youngsters that are staying with team

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
No...

Adding the freak does nothing to put us closer to a chip...  He shrinks in the big moments.. 

It's his 5th year and he still doesn't have a reliable outside game. 

He has yet to impact a playoff series enough to get his team out of the 1st round.  In fact, you can make the case that in that game 7 - Semi locking him up was the key to them losing.

If Tatum averaged 7 points in his rookie year the way the freak did we would not be having this conversation.

The Freak is cool.. A great story... A super Athlete..
Tatum has shown you that he is nothing but a winner... He shows up big in big moments.
Game 7 he was huge for us... Game 1, no Brown (with most of the fans already giving us the excuse to lose) and what does the kid do?? Balls out.

You don't give that up for a fantasy basketball dream project...

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Giannis, at age 23, averaged 26.9 points / 10.0 rebounds / 4.8 assists / 1.5 steals / 1.4 blocks / .545 eFG%.

No player in NBA history has averaged that line, although Larry and Kareem came close. I can’t even imagine “much better” or “vastly superior”. A better KG? Lebron? MJ?

How much emphasis are you really putting into stats?

They were still barely a .500 team in his 5th season. Where was LeBron (and Kawhi) already by his fifth season? The Finals?

He’s still struggling to make the playoffs and this year, he had the chance to show the world who he was.... and he failed. How can he be so great and not beat a team missing what the Celtics were missing? If they match up against a healthy Celtics squad, how does that series go? It’s not even competitive. You think Milwaukee fans want a rematch with us next April? Ha.

People can point to teammates (although I was impressed with Middleton, he’s one of the most underrated players in the league), the coach, the GM, whatever. When does he get the blame? He’s a terrible shooter and careless on defense. He gets bailed out a lot because of insane athleticism, but he is not a complete player. He is LeBron athletically but lacks the skill and acumen that makes LeBron an all-time great.

I wasn’t willing to bow down before the series and definitely didn’t come away impressed with him after.

He’s on the Russell Westbrook level to me, not the Anthony Davis one.
CELTICS 2024

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

They were still barely a .500 team in his 5th season. Where was LeBron (and Kawhi) already by his fifth season? The Finals?

He’s still struggling to make the playoffs and this year, he had the chance to show the world who he was.... and he failed. How can he be so great and not beat a team missing what the Celtics were missing? If they match up against a healthy Celtics squad, how does that series go? It’s not even competitive. You think Milwaukee fans want a rematch with us next April? Ha.

People can point to teammates (although I was impressed with Middleton, he’s one of the most underrated players in the league), the coach, the GM, whatever. When does he get the blame? He’s a terrible shooter and careless on defense. He gets bailed out a lot because of insane athleticism, but he is not a complete player. He is LeBron athletically but lacks the skill and acumen that makes LeBron an all-time great.

I wasn’t willing to bow down before the series and definitely didn’t come away impressed with him after.

Honestly, your rationalization holds no water. Makes zero sense.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Giannis was 7-17 in a game seven his team had to win.

Kobe was 8-for-24 in Game 7 of the NBA Finals once.

Was he guarded by Ojelly?

Giannis is overrated. If he was not mollycoddled by the refs who allow him to take four steps, his game would be much different.

As I said earlier, I agree that he is overrated.  He is such a "feel-good" story and yes, he is getting way too much deference from the refs that he is being viewed by many as the next big star of the league.  He may not be that but he is a very talented and gifted player.  I suggest that you are overcompensating to the one truth that he is overrated and not fully recognizing that overrated or not, he is still a really good player with still plenty of upside.  Of course, no one knows, we are all just making our best guess.

If he develops a three point shot, then he will be a great player.
It was funny to watch him get bullied by Horford, however.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That's still a handy player if utilised correctly. Saying Tatum will be better than that is pretty crazy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that kind of development is not common
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

That's still a handy player if utilised correctly. Saying Tatum will be better than that is pretty crazy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that kind of development is not common

So you’re looking to build a team around a handy player? We know that MVP awards matter to some players, rings others

Westbrook cannot be the best player on a championship team. I don’t believe Giannis can either. You wanna pay them $45M, do so, but that will likely land you as a bottom seed in the playoffs and first round exit.

Even though this thread is about Giannis vs. Jayson, what I replied about had nothing to do with Tatum. With that said, I do believe Jayson has the skill set to possibly be the best player on a championship team. He has work to do, but the skill is there. Durant may be a stretch, but the similarities are there. He’s barely 20 years old, he’s going to get exponentially better than he already is, and that’s pretty [dang] good.
CELTICS 2024

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Giannis, Age 19:
77 games, 24.6 MPG, 6.8 points, 4.4 boards, 1.9 assists, .44 from 2, .34 from 3, .463 EFG, .68 from line

Tatum Age 19:
80 games, 30.5 MPG, 13.9 points, 5.0 boards, 1.6 assists, .475 from 2, .434 from 3, .538 EFG, .82 from the line

Tatum is a far better and far more efficient player than Giannis at the same age. In fact, while Giannis took a major leap to .51% from 2 his second year, it has taken him four years to get to Tatum's Rookie efg of .538, he's still behind Tatum in FT% and three point %, by a wide margin.

It is hard to tell what Tatum's ceiling may be but with another 10-15 pounds of muscle and another year of experience he may well be in the Zone of where Giannis is today, given the minutes and shots.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, from what I've seen it appears that Jayson may be more of an alpha dog mentally. He looks like he has that killer instinct, along with elite shooting, something Giannis sorely lacks.