Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 19079 times)

Re: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Some Bucks fans believe Giannis is just overrated. Could not lift the Bucks to a Game 7 win and that he gave up.

I thought his body language last night confirmed to me that he gave up. Khris Middleton was the one trying to lead the Bucks to the promise land lol.

Therefore, nah. I want to keep my boy Tatum. He is the future and could become the next KD35.

That he gave up is pure nonsense.

I saw him more as "give me the ball" than giving up.  If Giannis had a good long range game -- he'd be the best player in the league right now.  At 23 I'll bet on him developing the range.  Much more of a sure thing "top 5" than Tatum since Giannis is probably already top 5!!

Giannis is Top-10 right now, not Top-5.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
In a vacuum yes.

Really depends on what has to be added to the package.  (which is a lot less than when this thread started based on Tatum)

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2018, 12:08:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some Bucks fans believe Giannis is just overrated. Could not lift the Bucks to a Game 7 win and that he gave up.

I thought his body language last night confirmed to me that he gave up. Khris Middleton was the one trying to lead the Bucks to the promise land lol.

Therefore, nah. I want to keep my boy Tatum. He is the future and could become the next KD35.

Giannis is a great player but also overrated to some degree (both can be true).  At this point, he is not a player that can carry a team in game 7 (neither is Tatum).  Both have plenty of upside to become that type of player.  If I was allowed to pick one of them today for the Celtics, I would pick Giannis.  I like the length which is more of a need for this roster (Hayward and Tatum can both be the primary wing-SF).  Tatum may end up better "IF" he gets stronger, IF he improves ball handling, IF....  .  Giannis still has potential that may or may not get realized but there is less uncertainty with Giannis.  It seems to me that Giannis would thrive as the second best player on a team (which he could be on Boston with Kyrie).

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2018, 12:17:34 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Giannis is a great player but also overrated to some degree (both can be true).  At this point, he is not a player that can carry a team in game 7 (neither is Tatum).  Both have plenty of upside to become that type of player.  If I was allowed to pick one of them today for the Celtics, I would pick Giannis.  I like the length which is more of a need for this roster (Hayward and Tatum can both be the primary wing-SF).  Tatum may end up better "IF" he gets stronger, IF he improves ball handling, IF....  .  Giannis still has potential that may or may not get realized but there is less uncertainty with Giannis.  It seems to me that Giannis would thrive as the second best player on a team (which he could be on Boston with Kyrie).

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.  Those who lean heavily towards Tatum are ignoring the positive impact Brad Stevens would have on Giannis.  In these debates I tend to assume that we would see the best version of any player who comes to Boston.  Are Giannis' shooting woes really a problem on this roster?

Let's pretend we live in a world where Tatum is swapped directly for Giannis.  Imagine the sheer versatility of an Irving, Brown, Hayward, Giannis, and Horford lineup.  The defense and transition scoring would break the will of most teams.

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
In a vacuum yes.

Really depends on what has to be added to the package.  (which is a lot less than when this thread started based on Tatum)

Well even if he was available like years from now, he's making like 24M+ by then, so matching salaries would be extremely difficult in that trade (like it would have for an Anthony Davis one).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Are Giannis' shooting woes really a problem on this roster?

I think I am agreeing with Green-18 but does Giannis really have shooting "woes"?  I think he shoots pretty well for someone his size.  Per NBA stats, 46.2% 8-16 ft and 38.5% 16-24 ft.  (For reference, Anthony Davis is 43% 8-16 ft and 34% 16-24 ft, I guess he has woes too).  The Celtics would play him as a big (where he should play).  He would get 10+ rebounds, block shots, run the floor and can shoot a high percentage within a reasonable range if playing with good shot selection.  If he is open and has a totally squared up look, fine, take the outside shot but that should not be the objective.  I have no concerns whatsoever with Giannis' shooting.

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Giannis was 7-17 in a game seven his team had to win.
And Horford made him his B.
F no.

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2018, 01:14:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
And Horford made him his B.
F no.
Do you know who else was 7-17 in that game 7?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I think I am agreeing with Green-18 but does Giannis really have shooting "woes"?  I think he shoots pretty well for someone his size.  Per NBA stats, 46.2% 8-16 ft and 38.5% 16-24 ft.  (For reference, Anthony Davis is 43% 8-16 ft and 34% 16-24 ft, I guess he has woes too).  The Celtics would play him as a big (where he should play).  He would get 10+ rebounds, block shots, run the floor and can shoot a high percentage within a reasonable range if playing with good shot selection.  If he is open and has a totally squared up look, fine, take the outside shot but that should not be the objective.  I have no concerns whatsoever with Giannis' shooting.

Yeah we are in complete agreement.  I mentioned shooting "woes" in regard to his lack of confidence in creating shooting opportunities from the perimeter as a #1 option.  He still looks awkward at times if he is forced to catch the ball from beyond the arc against good NBA defenders.   

The perception of this being a fatal flaw is largely overstated by most.   As you mentioned he would be treated as big man in our offense.  Milwaukee realistically needs to build around him as a 4/5 in their half court offense.  The goal should be to get him the ball from inside 15 feet every time.  His perimeter ball handling is fine when Milwaukee forces a switch onto slower or weaker defenders.     

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
No I wouldn't do the trade.  In 4 years when Tatum is Giannis' age Tatum will be vastly superior to what Giannis is now. 

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2018, 02:42:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Kobe was 8-for-24 in Game 7 of the NBA Finals once. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Was he guarded by Ojelly?

Giannis is overrated. If he was not mollycoddled by the refs who allow him to take four steps, his game would be much different.

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd trade any player in the NBA for Giannis, including Lebron and Durant.  Age factors into that thought.

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No I wouldn't do the trade.  In 4 years when Tatum is Giannis' age Tatum will be vastly superior to what Giannis is now.

Yeah. I said "yes" before when this thread first appeared ... but after seeing Giannis against the Celtics in the playoffs, I am switching to the "no" camp.

I was not impressed by Giannis in that series. He is nowhere near the MVP candidate the media portrays him as. He is a very good player. An All-Star. But not an MVP and I am not even sure he is a top 10 player in the league either.

I'd rather take my chances with Tatum. At least with Tatum you do not need to build around him to compensate for his flaws like you do with Giannis.

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

These are Michael Jordan's 1st four playoff appearance shooting stats in the closeout game of the series that the Bulls lost.

6 for 16
8 for 18
9 for 30
10 for 22

Let's not pretend that all great players don't lay some eggs when their team needs them the most. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip