Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 19072 times)

Re: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Those numbers are below league average, as I mentioned. Points are up due to usage going up. He hasn't improved much offensively. Advanced analytics shows it.

Citation, please.

45% / 47% / 38% from 10+ foot ranges don't look below average to me, and 63% is probably a couple of layups away or right around league average. 3-10 sure, but we're talking about 64 attempts all year.

If you're gonna school us with "advanced analytics", you need come with more than a couple of decent looking FG% stats.

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
This is the purest example of green tinted glasses I've ever witnessed. C'mon guys. You're being ridiculous.

Giannis is a top 5 player in the league right now. At the tippity top of his peak, Tatum could maybe reach that. I like the kid too, but Giannis is in another stratosphere.

Top 5? I think he's close, but I think (in no order) Lebron, Harden, Durant, Davis, Curry, and a healthy Kawhi are above him as of now. But by next year, he should be Top-5.
I have Giannis at 4 behind James, Durant, and Curry.  I think he is a better overall player than Harden, Davis, and Leonard right now.

Fair enough.
either way it would be insane not to trade Tatum for him.
Giannis can't shoot a 3 to save his life, Tatum is one of the best already as a 19 rookie
it's laughable to trade Tatum for him straight
Ah yes, because a 3 is all there is in basketball.  4 of Larry Bird's first 5 season he shot less than 29% from three.  Magic Johnson had multiple seasons under 20% from three.  Michael Jordan shot under 19% his first four seasons and had multiple other season where he never even cracked 30%.  heck the reigning league MVP has had 4 seasons under 30% and is barely above that number this year. 

But hey Kyle Korver can shoot the ball great, so he must be better than those guys.  (and no I'm not saying Tatum will end up like Korver, I was using a hyperbole to prove a point). 

There is more to basketball then shooting the 3.
This is modern NBA we are talking about and you can not survive without the 3
of course you can.
Sorry but..actually you can't

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
This is the purest example of green tinted glasses I've ever witnessed. C'mon guys. You're being ridiculous.

Giannis is a top 5 player in the league right now. At the tippity top of his peak, Tatum could maybe reach that. I like the kid too, but Giannis is in another stratosphere.

Top 5? I think he's close, but I think (in no order) Lebron, Harden, Durant, Davis, Curry, and a healthy Kawhi are above him as of now. But by next year, he should be Top-5.
I have Giannis at 4 behind James, Durant, and Curry.  I think he is a better overall player than Harden, Davis, and Leonard right now.

Fair enough.
Giannis can't shoot a 3 to save his life, Tatum is one of the best already as a 19 rookie
Ah yes, because a 3 is all there is in basketball.  4 of Larry Bird's first 5 season he shot less than 29% from three.  Magic Johnson had multiple seasons under 20% from three.  Michael Jordan shot under 19% his first four seasons and had multiple other season where he never even cracked 30%.  heck the reigning league MVP has had 4 seasons under 30% and is barely above that number this year. 

But hey Kyle Korver can shoot the ball great, so he must be better than those guys.  (and no I'm not saying Tatum will end up like Korver, I was using a hyperbole to prove a point). 

of course you can.

Sure, Giannis could certainly work on his 3 point shooting and look to improve it, but remember he's 23 (still has some time to work on his mechanics and what not).

Also, guys like Butler, DeRozan, etc. aren't the best 3 point shooters. I'd say they are doing a pretty good job surviving the NBA at the moment.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Fair enough.

of course you can.
This is just ridiculous.  the vast majority of the players in the league don't shoot 3's very well at all.  Just because Golden State has a ridiculous collection of talent, including 3 of the best pure shooters in NBA history, it doesn't mean that you have to win that way.  The Golden State way is quite simply not a sustainable way to win for the every other team and the Warriors still have plenty of players that are bad shooters that get actual rotational minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Fair enough.

of course you can.

A team can’t survive without shooting and spacing.

An individual player can thrive. Giannis is averaging  28 / 10 / 5.  Lebron is a career 34% 3PT shooter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Fair enough.

of course you can.

An individual player can thrive. Giannis is averaging  28 / 10 / 5.  Lebron is a career 34% 3PT shooter.
The team of course is what's really matters

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Fair enough.

of course you can.

The team of course is what's really matters

Right. And a team doesn’t need 5 outside shooters in the lineup. Put Giannis on a team with Horford, Hayward and Kyrie. Is spacing an issue?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Giannis at least takes threes so the threat of him making them is there, unlike someone like Simmons who won't even shoot them. He doesn't have to be a great 3 point shooter to be great. Lebron never was a great 3 point shooter until just recently. Wade is a bad 3 point shooter. So is Westbrook. Greatness in basketball doesn't require being a great three point shooter, even in today's game.

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Giannis at least takes threes so the threat of him making them is there, unlike someone like Simmons who won't even shoot them. He doesn't have to be a great 3 point shooter to be great. Lebron never was a great 3 point shooter until just recently. Wade is a bad 3 point shooter. So is Westbrook. Greatness in basketball doesn't require being a great three point shooter, even in today's game.
Kobe was a pretty poor 3 point shooter as well.  I mean he had way more seasons shooting under 30% than he had shooting over 35% and he finished at 32.9% on his career.  Carmelo's first 4 seasons he shot 32.2, 26.6, 24.3, and 26.8 before he finally found a better touch. 

I have no concerns at all with Giannis inability to consistently hit a 3 point shot because he is just so good elsewhere and he gets to the line nearly half of the time he shoots.  And for as much as we say a 3 is better than a 2, foul shots are the highest percentage shots you can take because no one guards you. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
BUMP.

You all still would or no?

I wouldn't (and I also voted and stated "No" on this when I created this back in January lol)

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Umm, yes.

Those who say no must think that Tatum will be better than the Greek Freak b/c of his shooting.

To that, I say no. The Greek Freak will be a better player today, tomorrow, and 10 years from now.

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
No I would not.....Tatum has an outside shot...3 point range and is mid range jumper is nails. When he grows into his body with another off season of weight training...he will be unstoppable going to the basket....I will not trade him for anybody.

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I bet if this poll were posted on the Bucks forum the results would be 100% NO to trading Giannis for a package including Tatum. 

For me it'd depend on the package, but yes I would trade for him.  Giannis is very effective, and has plenty of room to grow.

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I bet if this poll were posted on the Bucks forum the results would be 100% NO to trading Giannis for a package including Tatum. 

For me it'd depend on the package, but yes I would trade for him.  Giannis is very effective, and has plenty of room to grow.

Well OBVIOUSLY the Bucks fans on their forums would say 'no'.

Spurs would have said 'no' to this kind of question back in September too though (Tatum + pieces FOR Kawhi). Still think they are all saying 'no' though?  ;)

(Again it's just "hypothetical" and I'm not saying it's a guarantee to happen at all)

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not because I think Tatum could have just as much if not more upside.   Tatum can shoot, is athletic and has good length.   If he grows we won't want the Greek Freak because Tatum would be more skilled.