Author Topic: If Lakers pick isn't top-5, what would it take to trade up?  (Read 1207 times)

If Lakers pick isn't top-5, what would it take to trade up?
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Let's assume that the season ends today and the lottery goes chalk, i.e., the Lakers pick is 6th, with Sac at #1, followed by Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix.

This year has a ton of good bigs at the top. As it stands now, next year doesn't. Thus, we may find it advantageous to be drafting this year, regardless. ESPN has the following as the top 10, as of January 18. It's probably right in some order, not necessarily this one:

1. Luka Doncic   PG   Real Madrid   18.8   6-8   N/A
2. Deandre Ayton   C   Arizona   19.4   7-0   7-5
3. Marvin Bagley III   PF/C   Duke   18.8   6-11   7-0½
4. Mohamed Bamba   C   Texas   19.6   7-0   7-9
5. Michael Porter Jr.   SF/PF   Missouri   19.5   6-10   7-0
6. Trae Young   PG   Oklahoma   19.3   6-2   6-4
7. Jaren Jackson Jr.   PF/C   Michigan St   18.3   6-10   7-4
8. Collin Sexton   PG   Alabama   19.0   6-2   6-7
9. Miles Bridges   SF/PF   Michigan St   19.8   6-6   6-9
10. Mikal Bridges   SF   Villanova   21.3   6-7   7-1½

Being at #6 doesn't do us any good. It means we end up with the Sac pick next year, which will still probably be good.

What would it take to get into the top 5 this year? I'm assuming it would be the Sac pick plus something good (e.g., It won't be "Sac pick plus Rozier plus Yabu."). Making any realistic assumptions you like about who in the top-5 would draft or trade whom, what do you think is a realistic trade idea?

Mike

Re: If Lakers pick isn't top-5, what would it take to trade up?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
What are the numbers after the player names? I assume the last two are height and wingspan? What’s the first number?

And if the pick doesn’t convey this year, I doubt Ainge tries to get into the top-5.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:16 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I doubt a team would trade a top 5 pick for a future pick even if that pick is from a bad team.  Why would they?  Especially when we don't really have any great value to add. It would be a dangerous gamble especially in a draft that has plenty of star potential in the top 5.  Not gonna happen.

A better question would be what would it take to trade up to get the #1 pick if we get pick #2 or #3?  Ayton is the best prospect in this draft and I'm upset that even in our best case scenario for the Lakers pick, he is probably out of our reach.  I would definitely trade our pick (#25-29), the Clippers pick, and the Grizzlies pick to trade up for Ayton along with pick 2 or 3.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:14:02 PM by CELTICSofBOSTON »

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
What are the numbers after the player names? I assume the last two are height and wingspan? What’s the first number?

And if the pick doesn’t convey this year, I doubt Ainge tries to get into the top-5.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Age, height, wingspan.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Pretty sure no team in their right minds is trading their top 5 pick for the potential of a top 5 pick the following year. The Sacramento pick would be at one of the lowest points in terms of value on draft night for 2018. Not to mention, SAC is one of those likely bottom 5 teams this year, so that takes 20% of the trade pool right off the top.

If the pick doesn't convey, it's just tough luck. That pick won't have legitimate value until this time next year, when we are reaching the trade deadline, and SAC has cemented their place in the bottom 3-5.

Rozier, Smart, Yabu.....these guys don't carry enough weight to move up spots in the top of the draft.

Rozier or Smart could move the needle from our own 2018 1st (likely in the 25+ or higher) and get us MAYBE close to the lottery. Even then, I doubt it. They are on expiring deals, and rebuilding teams value the cost control and cultivating "their guys". Smart may have fetched us a lottery pick (like 10-13 range) this time last year, but why would we have traded him at that point? He has been playing too poorly offensively for teams to shell out 1st rounders, IMO. Rozier could probably get us a pick in the 20's on his own. I believe the Celtics value both players much higher than 9 out of 10 teams in the league...maybe 10 out of 10.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have a hunch the top 2 will be a combo of Ayton and Bagley, and 3 and 4 will be a combo of Porter and Trae Young.  That would leave Doncic and Bamba as options at 5 or 6.  I don't think Danny would trade up or be that interested in Doncic or Bamba, and I don't think he'd give up what it would take for one of the top 4.

He'd probably rather give up Tatum, the Sac pick and two other picks for Anthony Davis...

I'd love to add Bamba personally, if the pick is at #5. I don't care if takes a while to develop....we're adding Gordon Hayward to a  team that's already got the best defense...Bamba becomes the post Horford center next to a bulked up Tatum.

Actually, if the Lakers pick doesn't convey then the guy I'd really like to trade up for is Wendell Carter (not having to give up quite as much).  Also like to trade for Jaren Jackson but that starts getting too expensive again..

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If Cs do not get the Lakers pick I would like to see the Cs try target Jaren Jackson Jr. Ayton, Bagely and Bamba all have higher ceilings but Jackson projects as a really nice high end role player and literally a perfect system fit for the Celtics.

The issue is that most team in the high lottery need instant roster help and the Cs would likely offer something like Rozier, Sac pick and a future 1st. I'm not sure that gets the Cs back into the lottery.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet