Author Topic: Jarrell Eddie Question  (Read 731 times)

Jarrell Eddie Question
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Based on my understanding the signing of Jarrell Eddie to a 10-day contract has taken up our final roster spot. I know that Jarrell hasn't even played a game for us yet but if he is able to make a strong impression during his brief stint here is there any way we can keep him around?

Obviously we still have the DPE and I'm assuming we would like to keep an open roster spot in case we decide to use that to bring it a player that can help us significantly for the remainder of the season.

I'm just curious if he plays better than say Abdel Nader or Yabusele and is able to knock down some shots from deep and play some good defense, is there anyway to give him one of their roster spots and send them to the Maine Red Claws for the remainder of the season?

Re: Jarrell Eddie Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
There are better experts than me to answer this question, but my understanding is he has taken the open roster spot so no need to do anything with Nader or Yabu.  If he looks good, sign him for the rest of the season.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
You're right he did take an open roster spot and if he plays well we could just sign him for the remainder of the year but I think that is our final open roster spot which means that we wouldn't have a roster spot available if we wanted to use our DPE to sign somebody

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
You're right he did take an open roster spot and if he plays well we could just sign him for the remainder of the year but I think that is our final open roster spot which means that we wouldn't have a roster spot available if we wanted to use our DPE to sign somebody

You're right, it is the last roster spot. So if he were signed through the rest of the season and we ended up needing to use the DPE somebody would need to be cut. We'll likely only worry about crossing that bridge when we get there.

He hasn't made the team yet, and we don't need to use the DPE yet. No reason to worry about that scenario at this time.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Celtics timed this contract with an eye towards flexibility.  He can get two consecutive 10 days, the second of which run through February 8th.  February 8th also happens to be the trade deadline.  So if the Celtics make a trade and need to release someone, that someone will be Eddie.  If they like what they’ve seen over his 20 days, they can sign him to a rest-of-year contract.

If during the buyout period someone becomes available, he’s still the odd man out, unless he’s so outplayed Nader that they keep him.  Nader is guaranteed some money next season, so the Celtics are unlikely to outright release him after the deadline.  They’d rather trade him to keep a few hundred thousand off the books once they reach the luxury tax era next season.  Accordingly, Eddie would have to look like he’s worth the potential to pay a higher luxury tax, and not just look like the better 15th man.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Before we sign this guy for the rest of the year or even a subsequent 10-day contract, let's see him actually play in a game and see if he can shoot in the NBA. Give him any minutes you might give to Nader or Ojeleye and see if he can spark the 2nd team offense.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe it gives them better flexibility for the next ten games to leave those other players in the g league.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
Before we sign this guy for the rest of the year or even a subsequent 10-day contract, let's see him actually play in a game and see if he can shoot in the NBA. Give him any minutes you might give to Nader or Ojeleye and see if he can spark the 2nd team offense.

I want to clarify a couple of things. A lot of people are acting like I'm praising him without having seeing him play and that is not the case. I'm just optimistically hoping he can come in and knock down some shots and play some defense. Even if he averages 6 ppg during this 10 day contract that's still better than what Nader has been doing in my opinion. Just want to know if there is a possibility we can keep this guy IF he plays well while still keeping a roster spot open in case we want to use the DPE at some point.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I want to clarify a couple of things. A lot of people are acting like I'm praising him without having seeing him play and that is not the case. I'm just optimistically hoping he can come in and knock down some shots and play some defense. Even if he averages 6 ppg during this 10 day contract that's still better than what Nader has been doing in my opinion. Just want to know if there is a possibility we can keep this guy IF he plays well while still keeping a roster spot open in case we want to use the DPE at some point.

I also hope for the same as you. Nader is a throw away in my opinion. Now, there is no way we would use the DPE on this guy as that is an 8+ million slot so we would use this on a veteran buy out. So if this kid can play and we use the DPE on a vet and we need to dump someone then I think Nader is the guy as he is useless.