Author Topic: Why is everybody in a rush to trade Yabu?  (Read 2954 times)

Why is everybody in a rush to trade Yabu?
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:43:59 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Pretty much every proposal in this forum involving the Celtics has been centered around 2 themes:

- Teams would give up a hefty amount for Marcus Smart; a 35% shooter from the field this year who takes too many shots, plays great D, and will be a RFA (this won't happen but that's a different argument for a different thread)

and

- Yabu gets traded away

I don't understand why we're in a rush to trade him?  Is it solely due to the fact that we are low on valuable assets that everyone/the Celtics would actually consider trading?  Or is there actually a push for Yabu to be dealt? 

Every team in the league is going out of their way to find their own version of Draymond Green, meanwhile we have a guy who fits that description, with as high a ceiling as anyone else in that mold would have.  And we just want to get rid of him, why?  Everything I've seen from him is a positive - high energy, decent rebounder, definitely seems like he will progress into a capable shooter, ok handle...

I get he's got a lot more growing to do but even after this season at worst he's under team control for 3 more years.  Are people just trying to cash in on an unknown asset?  Obviously it isn't the biggest deal in the world I just find it interesting.  Personally I'm hoping we hold on to him as I truly think many of the tools for a poor man's Draymond at worst are there, and if anyone can bring out the best of those it's CBS. 

Just interested in everyone's thoughts on the matter is all.

Re: Why is everybody in a rush to trade Yabu?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:12:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
TP, wondered this myself. Obviously he's raw, but he hasn't been playing basketball for very long and has shown flashes. His strength with that mobility is very uncanny, and he can shoot.

I want to wait and see what he can be. I feel like if we give him time he can be really solid
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:23:19 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Say whaaaa????

Don't get me wrong. I can't stand Draymond Green. But Yabu even becoming half the player Draymond is would be his ceiling at the trajectory he's on.

Green is on another planet of transition skills, passing ability, rebounding, defensive versatility. Maybe Yabu somehow matches Green's halfcourt offense, which is not even what makes Green valuable.

Not a good comparison at all.

Yabu is like Big Baby Davis, who likes to shoot jumpers, and not bang boards. So basically a guy on the floor who takes shots away from high % guys on the roster like Tatum, Kyrie, Horford.

Yabu needs to drop a solid 20 lbs to even remotely be able to hang. He isn't aggressive or athletic enough with his current build to guard most 4's down low, and he gets embarrassed/lost guarding 9 out of 10 wings.

Sell, or send him to G league. We need his minutes for whoever gets picked up with the DPE.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:04:16 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Because people in this board are impatient and posts trade ideas on impulse, especially after we lose a game.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Every team in the league is going out of their way to find their own version of Draymond Green, meanwhile we have a guy who fits that description, with as high a ceiling as anyone else in that mold would have.

I think that you’re misevaluating Yabu.

Yabu probably gets mentioned in trade ideas because:

1. He’s not getting minutes, and is behind another rookie in the rotation;

2. He makes a non-minimum salary, meaning the range of players we can take back is increased;

3. He still has at least the perception of upside and has the luster of being a recent 1st rounder

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:44:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Every team in the league is going out of their way to find their own version of Draymond Green, meanwhile we have a guy who fits that description, with as high a ceiling as anyone else in that mold would have.

Looking like a guy is one thing but it is pretty clear that he doesn't play like that guy.  As for the high ceiling that is debatable.

Also, keeping a guy because he fits a description is not a good guy to run a team.   This is not the lookalike patrol.   He simply does not have the mindset that makes Draymond Green special.  Draymond plays with passion and a fire.  Yabu does not, thus far.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:50:23 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:54:10 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
What could we possibly get for Yabu? Unless we package him and Nader together then we could get something really special.  :D

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Does anybody spend much time thinking about Yabu?

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:36:21 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Too much nba2k ....

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm a fan of Yabu's game and would rather we didn't trade him unless we were getting a 4-5 of the future.

Guys like him are rare. He carries his 280 pounds better than most. He has explosiveness combined with a shooting touch.

I think he is a future 15-20 point scorer. If he was playing for the Bulls or Hawks I think he's already be doing that. The problem right now is 1) Foul Trouble, and 2) Defensive consistency.

CBS makes players earn playing time on the defensive end. He has proven he can help us offensively. He moves the ball well side-to-side and can stretch the floor.

If he lost 20 pounds (ala Paul Milsap), I think it would help his perimeter defense and foul trouble.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
He simply does not have the mindset that makes Draymond Green special.  Draymond plays with passion and a fire.  Yabu does not, thus far.

On top of that the two other things that separate Draymond from his peers are his fantastic switchy defense and his playmaking versatility. Our man Yabs has neither of those things. Every forward that shows anything unique these days gets comped to Draymond.

I'd say the closest thing we have to a poor man’s Draymond in this league is James Johnson.

Yabs profiles somewhere between Anthony Bennet and Paul Millsap to me and that’s a loose profile. I think he’ll end up a forward/big that will score aggressively and ideally be able to handle the ball a bit. At his ceiling he should be able to punish wing players with his strength and bigger players with his speed and be a real problem for folks. It would be super surprising if he developed the kind of defensive flexibility or playmaking that Draymond has.
nson.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 09:06:19 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Does anybody spend much time thinking about Yabu?

I do.
But I'll admit that's probably not normal.
I think when the game slows down for him a bit that he will create some really interesting mismatches with his strength and speed. I think the shot is real and that if everything goes optimally (ambitious I know) that teams will have to game-plan for him so he doesn't bully the smaller guys and spread out the bigger players. I'm happy that the front office doesn't rush to conclusions on guys halfway into their rookie year like some of the posters here seem too.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yeah, Draymond comparison is ridiculous.  They are nothing alike. 

I do think Yabu has some long term potential.  I like love his high energy motor.  When he’s out there good things seem to happen.  The ball finds him and he makes a lot of hustle plays.  He’s like the opposite of Semi.   Once Yabu learns how to play I think he will be an NBA rotation player at the minimum.  He has some nice physical attributes- strength, quickness, and shooting touch.  He just really needs to learn how to play before he starts getting minutes.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
At lower levels he has really shown good handles, impressive scoring instincts, and the ability to knock down threes.  He is also a very rare athlete because he is so large but is still light on his feet and explosive.

I believe he would able to showcase his athleticism and mobility more if he loses some weight. This should especially help him move laterally which should improve his defensive versatility.  He looks like he is around 300 pounds so he definitely should aim to lose at least 20 lbs.

Besides the things I’ve mentioned, he also seems to play pretty hard when he get minutes.  However his awareness is low and looks lost out there most of the time.  I don’t think he’s ready for the big leagues yet but I do think he has some unique upside.

I’m not expecting him to become a good NBA player but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he does become one down the line.  Either way, I’m not super concerned since we have plenty of young guys who can really play and he has a rookie contract.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Because he makes Gronk look intelligent and isn't very good at basketball.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC