Author Topic: Celtics (34-13) at Lakers (17-29) Game #48 1/23/18  (Read 30911 times)

Re: Celtics (34-13) at Lakers (17-29) Game #48 1/23/18
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2018, 01:16:42 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So, basically, if Brown and Tatum don't combine to miss several dunks and layups, and the Celtics give up only a million offensive rebounds—as opposed to a bazillion—then they'd have won. Great.

Even worse, if the refs weren't blind and/or simply incompetent and called the blatant free throw violation on Kuzma, then we'd be in OT right now...

« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2018, 01:18:09 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Brown needs to be a bench player. Need to get a legit scorer to start
this just doesnt make sense lol

Brown is averaging 14 points a game.  His scoring hasn't really been a big issue.  I don't think that makes sense either.  Brown is a big mismatch as a SG, he needs to stay exactly where he is - starting SG.  He does need to keep improving though.  He probably will.

« Reply #452 on: January 24, 2018, 01:20:42 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This team takes too many 3s.

A lot of lazy possessions standing around and then just chucking up 3s. Took 33 tonight

« Reply #453 on: January 24, 2018, 01:22:53 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
So, basically, if Brown and Tatum don't combine to miss several dunks and layups, and the Celtics give up only a million offensive rebounds—as opposed to a bazillion—then they'd have won. Great.

Even worse, if the refs weren't blind and/or simply incompetent and called the blatant free throw violation on Kuzma, then we'd be in OT right now...

Yeah that FT violation with Kuzma was more than the refs should overlook.  I mean every game guys get in the lane early and it is NEVER called.  But that one was combined with a push in someones back (can't remember who?) and it was just way too obvious.  Should have been a foul or a violation.

Kuzma played well, we didn't find him to contest his 3 points shots as well as we needed to.  Horford and DT aren't quick enough to really run him down at the 3 point line, Brown is quick enough, but probably too small to handle him inside?  I was hoping Brad would switch Brown on him and force Kuzma to attack the rim.  Didn't seem like that ever happened though.

« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2018, 01:26:08 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Bench is just a piece of ****.

Cmon that just isn't the case.  Smart played well had 22points 8 assists, Morris scored well, Terry hit clutch shots.  We had 46 points from the bench.  Tonight isn't the night to make this argument.

To be fair, we really didn't get much from Tatum and Brown tonight.  Neither played very well, and both struggled on def.  I know our bench has sucked a lot lately, but they were decent tonight.

That's the main problem, in addition to the inconsistent, lackluster bench. Tatum and Brown have both just come back down to Earth, and I would bet there's a correlation there with our offense.

We need another scorer to take some of the pressure off of Kyrie. We're essentially back to last year's offensive team with Kyrie = IT, but our other guys are just too young and inconsistent this year to help make up for our lack of a true secondary scorer.
Only way you're getting a scorer is with a major deal and I just don't see that happening.  The main objective should be to build next year's team.  The 2nd scorer for this season is Tatum and right now he's dealing with the rookie wall.  That's why I'm afraid that this stretch of lousy basketball could get out of hand. 

A buyout guy might be a complimentary piece but he won't make the team dramatically better.  Without Tatum as a factor it becomes a below average shooting team that relies on the 3.  That's about where they are right now. 

« Reply #455 on: January 24, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Danny, for the love of God, get some freaking offensive help. The kids have come back down to Earth, and they can't be relied on consistently. It's essentially just Kyrie out there for large portions of the game with sprinkles of Morris and Al.

I say stick with the kids. I mean we arent getting anybody that is gonna put us over the top this year anyway. Lou williams, Tyreke evans isn't gonna cement us a place in the finals or get us even a little closer to a championship. So let the young guys dveelop. They will have bad games like tonight, more than we may like like, but they will also win us plenty of games (we are still in first place afterall) and they will be better for next year when we may actualy have a shot with hayward back.

I think either one of them would do WONDERS for our team and make us much, much more likely to get to the Finals than playing the kids. The offense simply bombs anytime Kyrie goes to the bench anymore, and having one of those guys would allow us to pretty much always have a designated scorer on the floor.

Wow, I just completely disagree with this take. I mean either one would help the offense sure, but they create gaping holes in what has been a defense switching team. That's our identity. I dont want to risk some improvement in offense at the risk of what's made up the number ne in the east. Now sure, if you are telling me that Williams or Evans will take Roziers or Smarts shots then sure, Smart may very well be off the team next year and Rozier is a bench player so that doesn't effect our future. But neither Tatum or Brown should lose a single shot to some rental player in a year when we aren't going to beat GS. NOT A SINGE SHOT. They will have games like this, but they will be better for it in the long run. And even if you dont believe that then what's the point in using an asset for a player who again wont help us get a chip this year and will only deplete our war chest (which we may need for a superstar). I mean I get emotional reactions, this game ad the last stretch in general have been rough, but its midseason, almost everyone is kidn of stalling right now.

« Reply #456 on: January 24, 2018, 01:35:33 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Glad the worst 3 point shooter on the floor wound up with the buzzer beater attempt. Marcus Smart has to come to terms that he can't shoot the basketball. He thinks he's Steph Curry.

Just play elite D and take the scraps on offense.

It's no doubt why he's such a polarizing player.

Smart is playing for a contract but he keeps costing himself money.

Been following the Cs since the mid-60s and I've never seen a more frustrating player. Not even close.

Good to see him taking questions after the game, but we already know he's a stand-up guy. I still hope.

« Reply #457 on: January 24, 2018, 01:41:04 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Tatum and Brown have hit the wall. Things were looking great early when they were fresh but now we are starting to see exactly how much we miss and need Hayward.

The roster was built correctly. We just had misfortune derail our season 5 minutes after it started.

The kids are learning, Kyrie is learning, Brad is learning... and somewhere, Gordon is learning.

Nobody knows when GH will return, but when he does... they will be a force.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #458 on: January 24, 2018, 03:11:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Another subpar Tatum game.  In the recent stretch he has not played well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #459 on: January 24, 2018, 06:16:36 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We’re looking like Kyrie's Cavs before Lebron.
I’m afraid that this might be the real Celtics.

« Reply #460 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lol, it was a bad game but this is one of the more dramatic overreactions I've ever seen ::)

We already have more wins than any of those Cavs teams did, and we're not at the All-Star break yet. Come on now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #461 on: January 24, 2018, 06:25:41 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Lol, it was a bad game but this is one of the more dramatic overreactions I've ever seen ::)

We already have more wins than any of those Cavs teams did, and we're not at the All-Star break yet. Come on now
Many of those wins we played terrible .
We come from behind half the time.

What I’m saying is this is more what I thought it would be in the summer.
A complete overhaul roaster , 5-6 rookies, injured star.
That looks like a mediocre team.

« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
story of the losing streak: Too little too late.

we should have won every game with a little more effort through the game instead of going for a small miracle in the last quarter or so...
we'll be all right
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Another subpar Tatum game.  In the recent stretch he has not played well.
Yeah, I'll be happy when we get the real Tatum back.  If somebody only saw the Tatum from the last couple of weeks they wouldn't think he's special.  He's definitely dropped a couple notches in the rookie of the year race.

« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Kuzma is better than Tatum. It's clear that he is ready for the spotlight and Tatum has disappeared. I guess the Kuzma hype is real.