Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 58998 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 01:14:26 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Horford is going to shine when Hayward returns. Horford is a 3rd banana, not a 2nd

True, but even a 3rd banana should be able to consistently make uncontested 3-footers.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 02:16:07 AM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Horford is going to shine when Hayward returns. Horford is a 3rd banana, not a 2nd

Exactly. Think of the Heat teams with Bosh or Cavs with Love (when Kyrie was there).  Now replace Bosh or Love with Horford.  Horford would out perform either of those two in that role.   same thing will happen here when Hayward gets back.  Horford will truly shine then.   
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 03:24:44 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Horford is having a very good season. Scoring is far from being the only facet of his game.

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2018, 07:51:30 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
This is the way I look at it

In a game in which Al Horford and LeBron both get max money and are paid the same, he's overpaid.
But Al Horford is a top 30 player, so in a 30 team league, he deserves max money.

Blame the NBA contract situation, but Al Horford deserves the money in the current scheme.

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Horford is a 4..can't be playing center..if they had a legit C, he  would be great

Correct, and overall their best lineups feature Baynes.  I get frustrated that he doesn't play more minutes but I think Brad knows they are at their best with Baynes on the floor, and he wants to make sure the big guy is their in April/May/June.

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
'Can't help but notice that the recent 'sub par' performances by Horford correspond to a stretch of games where Brad has seemed to lose faith in using Baynes much.   This has forced Al to play far more minutes at the 5.

Horford is so much better when he's been at the 4 this season.

Maybe .but if draymond can play the 5, so can Al

And then you say this - if Draymond was making $30M in Boston you would be positing the same thread.

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Horford is having a very good season. Scoring is far from being the only facet of his game.

Right...he is shooting 44% from 3!  It is not his fault that he only takes 1 or 2 a game, most players who shoot that well would take 5.

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
1. Horford is one of the most efficient players in the NBA this season period and is putting higher or similar statistics to his career average, and Ainge knew what type of player he was.

2. Horford was only coming here at that max price, would you rather not have him? We also gave up nothing to get him and the only other options in free agency were Howard and perhaps Whiteside.

3. Someone has already eluded to this but he is a similar player to Draymond Green, would you complaining about Green getting a max deal?

4. There is a domino effect of players, without Horford we don't even get a meeting with Durant nor do we get Hayward.

5. He is our sudo KG as he is our teams leader and the culture guy, who doesn't let any rubbish like what is going on in Cleveland happen in our locker room.

I'd say he's worth the max
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:16:45 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2018, 09:28:10 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

In a game in which Al Horford and LeBron both get max money and are paid the same, he's overpaid.
But Al Horford is a top 30 player, so in a 30 team league, he deserves max money.

Blame the NBA contract situation, but Al Horford deserves the money in the current scheme.

That doesn't mean Horford is overpaid, it means that Lebron is criminally underpaid. Lebron would be a bargain at twice his salary, but they can't pay him that due to NBA rules.

May as well start saying that Jimmy Butler ($19.3 million) is overpaid because he makes more than Kawhi Leonard  ($18.9 million)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Exactly. Think of the Heat teams with Bosh or Cavs with Love (when Kyrie was there).  Now replace Bosh or Love with Horford.  Horford would out perform either of those two in that role.   same thing will happen here when Hayward gets back.  Horford will truly shine then.

I think you might be underrating Bosh, but I agree with the overall point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I wish he could be a better shot around th basket 10 ft and in .   He misses so many dinks .  But then on th other hand , his 3 s are pretty amazing for a big who has only been shooting them a few years at all.  Overall im very satisfied this year.  Seems to be some of his best basketball ever.

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I agree if you look at horfords baseline stats, he looks to be over-paid, but what he does for the team is so important to the offense that brad wants to run.

is it any coincidence that the Celtics went to the ECF last year and improved so much from adding horfords 13ppg? its the screens, defense, spacing the floor, creating offense that makes the team better.

I think people will see it more next year when Hayward is back and is #2 to Kyries #1 and Brown/Tatum have another year under their belts.

Hayward was brought in to be the #2 guy

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2018, 10:13:24 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I think people will see it more next year when Hayward is back and is #2 to Kyries #1 and Brown/Tatum have another year under their belts.

If they can't see it now, after watching him do his thing for two years, they are hopeless.  It won't change, there will always be Lou Merloni type dummies.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

True, but even a 3rd banana should be able to consistently make uncontested 3-footers.

Good thing you used "should" man cause he has definitely never made one.  ::)
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

That doesn't mean Horford is overpaid, it means that Lebron is criminally underpaid. Lebron would be a bargain at twice his salary, but they can't pay him that due to NBA rules.

May as well start saying that Jimmy Butler ($19.3 million) is overpaid because he makes more than Kawhi Leonard  ($18.9 million)

If you're going to argue semantics with me for God knows what reason, at least get it right. Someone cannot be underpaid if they make the maximum. The team has paid that person the maximum that they are allowed to. In a fair system, the best player makes the maximum and everyone else is paid less to a varying degree. If your point is that LeBron deserves more than 30 million dollars a year, your argument is even worse. Most teams make about 30 mil in profit a year. He equals that number. That's a massive overpay if I've ever seen one from business perspective.