Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 59018 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
And if you're wondering, shooting 44% from 3 while averaging 8 rebounds a game where Al Horford is currently hovering?

It's only been done once in @NBA history (Troy Murphy, 2009), and never on a winning team

Put Hayward next to Horford and Kyrie, and watch him lead in the league in assists as a center...

Oh wait...

He does!

Without checking I can confidently say that Al Horford does NOT lead the league in assists. If you are saying he leads centers in assists then I would believe it.

It's funny that you're so confident that my comment was wrong when it clearly says center.

You said he leads the league in assists as a center which is different than leads centers in assists. So I guess that is funny.

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
And if you're wondering, shooting 44% from 3 while averaging 8 rebounds a game where Al Horford is currently hovering?

It's only been done once in @NBA history (Troy Murphy, 2009), and never on a winning team

Put Hayward next to Horford and Kyrie, and watch him lead in the league in assists as a center...

Oh wait...

He does!

Without checking I can confidently say that Al Horford does NOT lead the league in assists. If you are saying he leads centers in assists then I would believe it.

It's funny that you're so confident that my comment was wrong when it clearly says center.

You said he leads the league in assists as a center which is different than leads centers in assists. So I guess that is funny.

Love to make people laugh.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Oh wait...

He does!

you didn't actually say he is the leading among centers for assists.  You said he was leading the league in assists and then stated his position as a center.  It was clear what you meant, but you didn't actually say that. 

The thing is, Horford still plays an awful lot at PF, and that is where he starts.  ESPN doesn't even have him listed as a center, but rather a PF.  Either way Draymond Green averages more assists than Horford, and Green plays a lot at center (less than Horford, but still a not so insignificant amount of time). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Oh wait...

He does!

you didn't actually say he is the leading among centers for assists.  You said he was leading the league in assists and then stated his position as a center.  It was clear what you meant, but you didn't actually say that. 

The thing is, Horford still plays an awful lot at PF, and that is where he starts.  ESPN doesn't even have him listed as a center, but rather a PF.  Either way Draymond Green averages more assists than Horford, and Green plays a lot at center (less than Horford, but still a not so insignificant amount of time).

Yeah I mistyped it.

I apologize to hodgy for being snippy.

Horford will eventually evolve to become a great playmaking 5 though. Another year and he will no longer be able to switch on faster 4s. I also think Green gets inflated assists due to great shooters. Switch Horford with Green and I think he would have similar, if not more than Green personally.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Oh wait...

He does!

Yeah I mistyped it.

I apologize to hodgy for being snippy.

Horford will eventually evolve to become a great playmaking 5 though. Another year and he will no longer be able to switch on faster 4s. I also think Green gets inflated assists due to great shooters. Switch Horford with Green and I think he would have similar, if not more than Green personally.

Agree with the bolded statement above. No problem on snippiness.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:00 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
This over reaction of getting rid of a main cog on this team simply because he isn't a #1A scoring option, when you signed him to be a #3 or #4 scoring option is pretty ridiculous. Horford has played a whole 5 minutes with the Kyrie-Hayward 1-2 punch. He is here to be the ball moving focal point of the offense, the defensive communicator of the defense and give you 11 shots a game with 7 rebounds and 6 assists while playing great defense.

I think he has played amazing this year. You just don't trade him because he isn't Hayward offensively. You accept what happens this year and let the team be what they will be next year with everyone healthy and playing their role.

Such is the NBA2K generational affect

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Al brings a lot of intangibles to the team and leadership that are not measured in stats.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Al’s been great this year and even his bad games have been good enough. If there’s anything to blame it’s poor team defense and a bunch of careless turnovers. Morris looked bad being in the starting lineup. I hope Baynes gets healthy because he does a lot of things right.

Also, our bench has been atrocious. You just know that the bench is going to give any lead up or let a deficit balloon. It seems like it’s been the rarer case that the bench holds the fort.
- LilRip

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Early leader for "Hot Take of 2018" on the blog.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 12:10:41 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Maybe (maybe) it would be worth it to trade him for another star big such as LaMarcus Aldridge or Marc Gasol. If not getting another star back in return, why trade him?

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Horford is going to shine when Hayward returns. Horford is a 3rd banana, not a 2nd

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 12:31:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Horford is going to shine when Hayward returns. Horford is a 3rd banana, not a 2nd
He also makes all the other banana's more ripe ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 12:41:39 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
without Horford C's are toast.  Great player....great playoffs last year.

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Sadly it’s really the inconsistency of our young wings that is responsible for this losing streak

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 12:48:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sadly it’s really the inconsistency of our young wings that is responsible for this losing streak
JB seems to play down to the competition very often, and Tatum has hit a wall. Definitely big factors
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)