Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 59366 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2018, 11:33:45 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
All Horford series Team MVP if C’s win the series!!!
I think Jaylen Brown might have something to say about that before all is said and done
That would be swell too.

« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2018, 03:43:43 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I think the problem people have is that Horford is paid about what he's worth, while some superstars in the league are vastly underpaid as MAX players. Without a MAX on players salary, someone like Lebron or Durant would be making $80-90 Million a year. These type of max players skew the fan perspective of what a MAX player really is.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2018, 06:26:27 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This post is not aging well.

« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2018, 06:28:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the problem people have is that Horford is paid about what he's worth, while some superstars in the league are vastly underpaid as MAX players. Without a MAX on players salary, someone like Lebron or Durant would be making $80-90 Million a year. These type of max players skew the fan perspective of what a MAX player really is.
Horford has the 12th highest salary in the league. He isn't the 12th best player and isn't all that close to that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2018, 06:51:54 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Horford has the 12th highest salary in the league. He isn't the 12th best player and isn't all that close to that.

Its close once you ignore the players on rookie deals. Counting stats isnt everything, and Horford is such a rarity. You need guys who will enable other players to do what they do best, Horford is that guy. You cannot put 5 guys who all need the ball in their hands at the same time.

Between defending Cavs, Sixers and continued downplaying of Celtics players and staff, I have serious doubts you are a legit Celtics fan.

« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Between defending Cavs, Sixers and continued downplaying of Celtics players and staff, I have serious doubts you are a legit Celtics fan.

He has been here forever, so I think he is,  but it is clear that he does like other teams.  Celtics are my only NBA team that I root for, but each of us is different, free country and all that stuff...

A lot of what Al does is not measured in the stat lines.  One thing he does is make every one else better.

« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I still get a laugh out of everyone who p*sses & moans about Horford & his contract.

I am grateful when they do. They just identify themselves as someone whose opinion about anything in basketball can be easily dismissed.

I've said it before in this thread. We're getting exactly what we should have expected from production, professionalism and leadership standpoints. If anyone had different expectations then that's their problem.

Well put.  Horford is like an extension of Stevens when it comes to leadership on and off the court.  He is a stabilizing presence for such a young group of players.  Horford can anchor the defense, post up when needed, hit 3's consistently, guard perimeter players, and run the offense.  What makes it more impressive is that he does all of these things simultaneously while making the right basketball play almost every time.  There aren't many selfless players in the league that can accomplish all of these things.  Simply put, Horford impacts winning at a VERY high level. 

I don't care that Al is at a stage where he needs to scale back throughout the course of an 82 game season.  It's clear that he can still deliver the goods come playoff time.   

« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Its close once you ignore the players on rookie deals. Counting stats isnt everything, and Horford is such a rarity. You need guys who will enable other players to do what they do best, Horford is that guy. You cannot put 5 guys who all need the ball in their hands at the same time.

Now might be a good time to re-read the forum rules. 
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Al Horford is an all-star.  He's is a 1st team Defensive type player.  People have issues if he doesn't average 20 and 10 to justify his contract.  Without Al this team is not as good as it is.  The reason why they are still playing at such a high level is because of Horford.  It doesn't show on the stats but he is vital to our defensive identity.  I love Horford and will never complain about his production because like Marcus Smart there are things he does that do not show up on the stat sheet that are vital to a teams success.  Go C's!

« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
So if Horford is the 12th highest paid player and their are obviously a few people that are younger and will get paid higher when they are older and eligible for more, he is getting pretty close to where he should be. He was an allstar so really a top 25 player. Plus he is probably making all defensive second team. You got a guy that is a top 10 defensive player making the allstar game and performing in the playoffs. What is to complain about?

« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Every single season of Al Horford's career that he has played >60 games, he's been the best or second best player on his team, and his team has (a) made the playoffs and (b) either won a playoff series or been competitive against a quality first round opponent.

Best or second best player on a playoff team that wins one or more rounds in the playoffs, year after year.

Even if you're a traditionalist, how is that not max contract worthy?  I think people lose their minds sometimes when they get caught up in salary numbers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Now might be a good time to re-read the forum rules.

Yep.

And in any case it's not very nice to a) revive a thread to tell the world someone was wrong about something and b) doubt he is a true fan.

« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

I don't really get what people want Horford to do to be better.

« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

It's the raw counting numbers. That's all that matter to some people. If he was garbage and the Celtics were losing games but he was putting up big point and rebounding totals these same people would love him, is my guess.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

His PPG would need to be 18-20 at least. After all, Drew Bledsoe averaged 17.7 PPG this year and 21.1 PPG last year.