Author Topic: Marcus Smart HAS to GO by the deadline!!!  (Read 4818 times)

Re: Marcus Smart HAS to GO by the deadline!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Somehow, it's all Smart's fault, lol. Let's check the team's boxscore:

Jayson Tatum - 36% FG, 4/11
Al Horford - 36% FG, 4/11
Terry Rozier - 11% FG 1/9

But yeah, let's blame Smart who only shot 3 times and have much turnovers as Jaylen Brown (4)

::) ::)

Yes, let's just FORGET that Tatum had 10 stinking rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and 1 assist.

Let's just FORGET that Horford also had 6 assist and ZERO turnovers and 5 rebounds and 1 steal and 1 block as well.

I will NOT attempt to defend Rozier's game.

You COULD say that Smart had 3 assists, but he had 4 turnovers and he is an ALLEGED PG.  He did have 1 steal that might have been his ONLY positive contribution.

And even Horford's and Tatum's shooting percentages (which were bad) were STILL BETTER than Smart's!!!

Please give the ENTIRE picture in the future!!  Especially when it comes to Al as he tends to fill the stat sheet across the board and I see Tatum beginning to do more of that as he continues to develop!!

Smitty77

P.S. So you are going to get only Jaylen for his turnovers.  Fair.  However, he had 17 and 7 and and 1 block and shot almost TWICE as high from the floor as Smart (58.33% to 33.33%).

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

But yeah, let's blame Smart who only shot 3 times and have much turnovers as Jaylen Brown (4)

Yes, let's just FORGET that Tatum had 10 stinking rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and 1 assist.

Let's just FORGET that Horford also had 6 assist and ZERO turnovers and 5 rebounds and 1 steal and 1 block as well.

You COULD say that Smart had 3 assists, but he had 4 turnovers and he is an ALLEGED PG.  He did have 1 steal that might have been his ONLY positive contribution.

And even Horford's and Tatum's shooting percentages (which were bad) were STILL BETTER than Smart's!!!

Please give the ENTIRE picture in the future!!  Especially when it comes to Al as he tends to fill the stat sheet across the board and I see Tatum beginning to do more of that as he continues to develop!!

Smitty77

P.S. So you are going to get only Jaylen for his turnovers.  Fair.  However, he had 17 and 7 and and 1 block and shot almost TWICE as high from the floor as Smart (58.33% to 33.33%).
Does 1 assist, 1 steal, or 1 block matter at all?  Is Horford having 5 rebounds noteworthy?  I don't think those numbers add anything to the big picture.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I missed the Orlando game but I feel confident in saying that the problem with that game was allowing the 25th ranked offense in the league to score 90 points in the first 3 quarters. I don't see how you can put something like that on a single player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I missed the Orlando game but I feel confident in saying that the problem with that game was allowing the 25th ranked offense in the league to score 90 points in the first 3 quarters. I don't see how you can put something like that on a single player.

Almost everybody sucked, but Smart really, really sucked. 

Still silly to demand panic trades though.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I like Smart quite a bit, but I'm hard pressed envisioning him beyond this season

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I like Smart quite a bit, but I'm hard pressed envisioning him beyond this season

It really depends what the market looks like. If somebody signs him to a big offer we won't match it.  If he can't get a big payday and is willing to take short money or bigger money for 1-2 years I think we'll keep him. There'll also be a lot of gamesmanship as we try to discourage teams from signing him to an offer sheet.

My guess is he winds up somewhere else, but it's close - like 60/40.  Danny loves resigning his misfit toys to bargain deals.

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
On the morning of January 22, 2018, Boston is 34-13 and has the best record in the East and 3rd best in basketball.  The roster has 8 NBA level players on it (I'm not counting Larkin or any of the non-Tatum rookies and obviously Hayward is excluded). 

Everyone just needs to calm down.  Boston is playing better with a much better record than anyone could have reasonably expected and a few losses of late is more about Boston coming down to earth than anything else. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Its not about the C's record it's about Smart's play. He hasn't progressed this season and he has actually been given more responsibility and opportunity to do so. He has hardly played within himself at all this year either. Sure he has moments but for a guy playing as much as he does he should have a bigger impact. We need to replace his minutes.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Smitty77

Does 1 assist, 1 steal, or 1 block matter at all?  Is Horford having 5 rebounds noteworthy?  I don't think those numbers add anything to the big picture.

I would say that Tatum having 10 rebounds is noteworthy, wouldn't you?

Smitty77

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Its not about the C's record it's about Smart's play. He hasn't progressed this season and he has actually been given more responsibility and opportunity to do so. He has hardly played within himself at all this year either. Sure he has moments but for a guy playing as much as he does he should have a bigger impact. We need to replace his minutes.
Smart is basically the exact same player he was last year.  He will be the same player until he gets old (or hurt).  The C's are 4.3 points better with him on the court than with him off, which makes him about average for the overall team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Why the rush to trade him and disrupt chemistry? Just let him walk at the end of the season.

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Why the rush to trade him and disrupt chemistry? Just let him walk at the end of the season.

Yeah I don't get this.

People acting like Smart is going to fetch us something newsworthy in return. But he won't.

Rozier would definitely have more trade value in my mind, and even though I like him, I believe he deserves a bigger role, and a chance to prove himself starting caliber. I think in the right system or backcourt with a better shooting SG, he can embellish that role as a scoring rebounding PG that causes defenses to collapse. And I think being around Irving's presence, is definitely giving him more and more chances to thrive and develop handles that can support my claim.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Earth is back on its axis.  Carry on.   :)

Not according to Kyrie, it isn't.

;)

Mike

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
if you were to judge on the last 3 games, who goes and who stays.
everyone not name Irving would be shopped.

Given last year's off-season (and having nothing to do with Marcus), that could very well be the case.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Smart’s been pretty disappointing this year, and I’m one of his bigger fans. He’s added some quickness but overall, it’s the same guy. He’s a solid role player but he’s not a starter on a contending team (which I hoped he would bring this year). I still think he deserves to be out there in crunch time because he has a knack of “making things happen” but in an ideal situation, Smart should probably be playing less minutes than he is now.
- LilRip