Author Topic: A deadly sharpshooter (Jarell Eddie) and a low post skilled scorer (Greg Monroe)  (Read 4054 times)

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Doing a little research he probably is a pretty good shooter. In 110 career G-League games he's shot 44.9 from 3's on a large volume of shots (692 total 3's taken). In addition, his FT shooting, which is another good way to measure how good a shooter is, is also very high 94.7% this year, 88.8% over his G-League career (232 attempts).

This year he's shooting a blistering 14 for 21 from corner 3's. This is especially important because we simply need a bench wing player to keep defenses honest and create spacing, while a large majority of these wide open 3's come from the corners. Compare his shooting to Semi, who's majority of 3's (66%) have been in the wide open variety (defined as the closest defender being 6 feet or more away), yet he's only shot 28.6% in this wide open variety. Nader, on a smaller sample size of wide open 3's (34%), has been equally awful shooting just 26.7%.

A look at Eddie's good form/quick release during the 3pt shooting contest-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85Q0Uxh07g

I disagree with the OP that we will use him shooting off of screens, curls, etc. There is pretty much no way that the team will be having plays designed to get him open. Instead they'll place him in the weakside corner, like they often do with Semi and Nader, and hope he creates spacing and hits the stand still open 3 at a high rate when called upon. If he does that and is at least decent defensively, then he'll likely get some minutes. Who knows maybe in time he turns into Wayne Ellington. That seems like a reasonable ceiling.

Please look at he has done against NBA defenders who close out better, have more athletic ability to cover shooters and good size.

In 31 NBA games he has shot .25% from the three. and 31% from the field with an eFG of .42%

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/eddieja01.html

So before the eternal hope anoints him, he has not demonstrated this skill at an NBA level.

That skill set he is showing in the Dleague can translate..

This very funny, you should do standup.   Did Mickey's skills translate from the D league?   What about Nader?   Putting up stats in the D/G league does not always mean they will translate to the NBA.

Every year we get a Chris Babb type and guys on the blog go bonkers for him.   Most of the time it does not work out.   I hope I am wrong but saying stuff like the above just shows that you don't pay much attention once a guy in the G league comes up and plays in the NBA.

Hahaha that was a good one. Will think about that stand up comedy idea...

Back to basketball knowledge and judging improved players only based on their first 34 games in the NBA and not their recent 50% shooting from 3 from any other league...

Here are a couple of D league alumni that maybe would prevent me from doing stand up comedy after all...

Just off the top of my head... :
Recently: Tyler johnson, jaymichal green, yogi Ferrell...
Previously: danny green, hassan Whiteside, jj barea...

I understand it doesnt always translate and we are not expecting him to become ray allen or an all star, but to say its comedy to think he could come in and be a threat from 3pt range and help oir struggling offense given his recent success in the dleague makes YOU appear to be the clown in this whole story...

Wayne willington is a good example of what im hoping he can turn into. Nothing comical about it. Sometimes in life and in basketball its all about being in the right situation, right environment that fit you best and a little bit of luck of having your first couple of shoots drop and thus raise your confidence and make you feel like you belong and then your talent can fully express itself and sky becomes the limit...
Worst case we spend 2 10-day contract money on him and move forward and add someone like belinelli after buyouts...

In any case, in Danny I trust!

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
James You g was deadly in G league

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

So therefore no G League player will ever be a good shooter.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
and, as was pointed out above, so was hassan whiteside.

no one here is saying every gleague star = a good nba player. but some do. for me, i don't number eddie among those will succeed. but i trust ainge to get someone who might help this team win a game or two sometime during the season.

15th guy on a 10 day contract. not much to get exercised about right now.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No more name calling. Talk about the player not each other.

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I would pay a solid $5 to see Jarell Eddie and Andre Dawkins in a 3pt shootout.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/boston-celtics-sign-andre-dawkins-10-day-contract

Remember the excitement for that signing?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
Eddie from when the Celtics last had him in: "I felt like I could shoot well back then. I feel like I’m a lot more confident now. I’m a lot more sure of my game and what I can bring to a team. So I feel like I’m better just I guess mentally. I’m also better defensively."
2:06 PM · Jan 20, 2018

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

So therefore no G League player will ever be a good shooter.

sorta doubtful

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday

@ByJayKing·
1h
Stevens said Jarell Eddie's ability to shoot is unique

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Deadly from 2, I guess, he mostly shot about high 40s but he just didn't shoot the 3 as great as most think. From three his best season was his rookie year, shot 44% (something like that). Every season after it has been 37% (once) and lower. Good, but not really what I'd call tearing it up.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Eddie hopefully adds scoring

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532

@ByJayKing·
1h
Stevens said Jarell Eddie's ability to shoot is unique
And even more unique on this roster which has too many guys who can't shoot.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Doing a little research he probably is a pretty good shooter. In 110 career G-League games he's shot 44.9 from 3's on a large volume of shots (692 total 3's taken). In addition, his FT shooting, which is another good way to measure how good a shooter is, is also very high 94.7% this year, 88.8% over his G-League career (232 attempts).

This year he's shooting a blistering 14 for 21 from corner 3's. This is especially important because we simply need a bench wing player to keep defenses honest and create spacing, while a large majority of these wide open 3's come from the corners. Compare his shooting to Semi, who's majority of 3's (66%) have been in the wide open variety (defined as the closest defender being 6 feet or more away), yet he's only shot 28.6% in this wide open variety. Nader, on a smaller sample size of wide open 3's (34%), has been equally awful shooting just 26.7%.

A look at Eddie's good form/quick release during the 3pt shooting contest-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85Q0Uxh07g

I disagree with the OP that we will use him shooting off of screens, curls, etc. There is pretty much no way that the team will be having plays designed to get him open. Instead they'll place him in the weakside corner, like they often do with Semi and Nader, and hope he creates spacing and hits the stand still open 3 at a high rate when called upon. If he does that and is at least decent defensively, then he'll likely get some minutes. Who knows maybe in time he turns into Wayne Ellington. That seems like a reasonable ceiling.

What happened to Jabari Bird, I thought that was his role?

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
Another disappointing loss. Can't put up 100 against the magic despite Kyrie going for 40!!!!
Yet people can't seem to see the elephant in the room!

I can't understand why people around here don't see the glaring needs for our offense.
We were about to get swept by the 8th seeds Bulls last year if not for a simple adjustment to add deadly shooting in the starting line up and just having Green stand by in the corner OPENED UP our offense!

Jarell Eddie has a unique shooting ability and contrary to Green can run through screens square up and knock down the 3 adding yet another dimension (Opposing Defense can't just put their weak link on our spot up shooter who is standing by in the corner allowing them to rest).

Here, people talk about Dleague this Dleague that...
Yet here is a Dleague guy for Orlando (Khem Birch) coming in and CONTRIBUTING noticeably in their victory...

I believe Eddie's shooting can make a huge difference for this team!
Here hoping Stevens gives him a chance, we only have 10 days lets see what he actually brings in game situations...

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Seems like Celtics always lose when Kyrie scores more than 30 points. That suggests a lack of ball distribution. Back to bad habits?

I don't know if they need another 3P scorer, but they sure do need some improvement up front in defending other bigs.

They are losing too many games at home to teams that aren't very good.