Author Topic: Cavs pursuing George Hill  (Read 5392 times)

Re: Cavs pursuing George Hill
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
does this really bridge the gap for cleveland or improve their defense?
obviously depends on what they use to acquire, but Hill would absolutely improve their bench.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
does this really bridge the gap for cleveland or improve their defense?

Who here wants to see them get better?   Not me! 

And to be honest the Cavs are an afterthought once LeBron leaves or retires.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hill’s prime has come and gone. Let them keep making desperate moves to marginally improve. He doesn’t do too much
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 10:05:54 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This kinda' smells like last year with Deron Williams. Hill is a better player, but I don't think this moves the needle for them.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So IT is heading back to the Kings...JK
no. They want Hill to back up and play with Thomas.

My guess is something like Thompson and Shumpert for Hill and Randolph.

That sounds really exciting for Sacramento. Why would they even consider this?
because George Hill is still owed 40 million after this year and he has been terrible for them.  Randolph is stillness 25 million after this one and isn't worth that either.  Shumpert can opt out this summer bit either way is way cheaper than Randolph.  Thompson is overpaid a bit, but isn't as overpaid as Hill, is younger, and is far more likely to revert back to prior years form.

Put it this way, which team is going to give them anything of greater value than that for those two guys?

I'm not even sure Thompson cares about basketball anymore to be honest. He has a god awful contract

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

because George Hill is still owed 40 million after this year and he has been terrible for them.  Randolph is stillness 25 million after this one and isn't worth that either.  Shumpert can opt out this summer bit either way is way cheaper than Randolph.  Thompson is overpaid a bit, but isn't as overpaid as Hill, is younger, and is far more likely to revert back to prior years form.

Put it this way, which team is going to give them anything of greater value than that for those two guys?

I'm not even sure Thompson cares about basketball anymore to be honest. He has a god awful contract
his per36 numbers are essentially identical to last year and that is with him being rusty from the injury.  I think if you get him a change of scenery he should bounce back a bit.  And I'd rather pay Tristan Thompson 16 million for the next two seasons than George Hill 20 million for the next two seasons from a purely contract standpoint (though Hill fits better from the Cavs perspective than Thompson does). 

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 12:14:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Hill would be a great fit on the Cavs. He's a good shooter, and plays hard on defense.

In fact, I would actually start Hill and bring Thomas offense the bench, as that would give the starting lineup a bit better balance and prevent other team leads guards from having a field day with the putrid defense of Thomas.

It will never happen, as Thomas would probably try to start a mutiny, but from a purely strategic standpoint, it would be the smart move.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

his per36 numbers are essentially identical to last year and that is with him being rusty from the injury.  I think if you get him a change of scenery he should bounce back a bit.  And I'd rather pay Tristan Thompson 16 million for the next two seasons than George Hill 20 million for the next two seasons from a purely contract standpoint (though Hill fits better from the Cavs perspective than Thompson does).

He is averaging 5 points and 6 rebounds and his most notable achievement this year is getting a kardashian pregnant. He is owed 36 million dollars the next two years. You polish that turd any harder you are going to see your reflection.
Also not sure it matters for the debate but he is owed about 18 a season average for the next couple of years
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:34:23 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't think LeBron was ever committed to IT. How long has it been rumored Cav's looking for a PG now? They should just add IT to the package of hill

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I don't think LeBron was ever committed to IT. How long has it been rumored Cav's looking for a PG now? They should just add IT to the package of hill

It really would be fascinating if they moved him, but I honestly believe it is impossible give his impending free agency and lack of production since coming back

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It really would be fascinating if they moved him, but I honestly believe it is impossible give his impending free agency and lack of production since coming back

His impending free agency is what would be attractive to a team looking to dump a contract.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

A rebuilding team? Cause a playoff team is going to have to worry about him worrying about his numbers and his contract desires. Right now it looks like he is pressing

His impending free agency is what would be attractive to a team looking to dump a contract.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

No, from a purely contract standpoint Thompson is owed more money. TT's contract is guaranteed through 2019-2020 (two more seasons). Hill is only guaranteed 1 million for 2019-2020.

I like the Sacramento Kings' structure w/George Hill $20m, $19m, $18m, last year only $1m guaranteed @BBallInsiders

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/884841842742763520

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He is averaging 5 points and 6 rebounds and his most notable achievement this year is getting a kardashian pregnant. He is owed 36 million dollars the next two years. You polish that turd any harder you are going to see your reflection.
Also not sure it matters for the debate but he is owed about 18 a season average for the next couple of years
He has been injured and has played under 19 mpg.  Far below his norm.  You give him the same minutes as last year and he averages over 8 and 9 (same as last year).  Not great, but not awful and he is only 26.  George Hill is 31 and only going to get worse.  Thompson is owed 17.4 next year and 18.5 the year after (when he will be 27 to start that year).  George Hill is owed 19 million next year and 18 million the year after when will be 32 to start the year (though the last year is partially guaranteed so it isn't terrible).  Hill this year in 27 minutes is averaging a whopping 10.5 p, 2.7 a, and 3.0 r.  He isn't exactly tearing it up and he is on the wrong side of 30 and only going to get worse.  He does however fit better for the Cavs than Thompson does. 

Randolph is 36 and is still owed another 12 million next year after the 12 million this year.  Shumpert makes less than him and can opt out next summer (which he might do to avoid playing in Sacramento). 

For a team like the Kings, going younger on cheaper contracts makes sense, especially since the market for someone like Hill who is making 20 million dollars this year, isn't going to be large, if for no other reason there are very few teams with disposable contracts large enough to acquire Hill that won't include worse players or worse contracts than Tristan Thompson.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No, from a purely contract standpoint Thompson is owed more money. TT's contract is guaranteed through 2019-2020 (two more seasons). Hill is only guaranteed 1 million for 2019-2020.

I like the Sacramento Kings' structure w/George Hill $20m, $19m, $18m, last year only $1m guaranteed @BBallInsiders

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/884841842742763520
I am aware.  I just don't think the Kings are going to do better than someone like Tristan Thompson for George Hill given his age and his contract number.