Author Topic: Woj is reporting that Kemba Walker is on the trade block  (Read 10328 times)

Re: Woj is reporting that Kemba Walker is on the trade block
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If Thomas is included in a trade for Walker, will Isaiah and Lebron have their numbers retired by the Cavs on the same day next year?

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If you're Philadelphia, do you trade Markelle Fultz for Kemba Walker?

Yes.  But I want a 1st back or Monk as well.

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Would Cleveland trade IT (plus another contract like Frye) for Kemba?

Yes.

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If you're Philadelphia, do you trade Markelle Fultz for Kemba Walker?

Im sure the 76ers wont do this but it might be their best move. Embiid is such an injury risk that they should be building a roster that can compete for a championship in the next 3 years. Its sad but most likely Embiid is going to have a Yao like career. Making drastic win now moves might be able to get them a couple deep playoff runs and then they can move on to a team built around Simmons
The Sixers should definitely not trade Fultz for Kemba.  Kemba doesn't make them a contender.  Simmons is their current and future PG and Kemba isn't a good fit.  As for Embiid, the Sixers clearly aren't that concerned with his long term health considering they signed him to a max deal with rather limited financial protections.  Embiid has had no foot issues since his 2nd surgery.  The same surgery that Durant had after his 1st surgery didn't work.  From what I've read, Ilgauskas, who came back to have and long career, and Yao had much more significant foot issues than Embiid. 

If I'm the Sixers, I'd try to get Sweet Lou or Tyreke.  Both of them are on 1 year contracts so they won't hurt next season's cap space but they'd provide offensive firepower that the Sixers need to make the playoffs this season.  In the offseason, I'd probably go aggressively after Paul George.  Simmons, Covington, George, Embiid and Fultz (if he gets his act together) would be a nasty starting lineup.

I am not sure what is wrong with Covington but he has not been the same player since he signed his extension. He is shooting about 35% from the field the last month and a half. In 5 January games he is averaging 7 points on 33% shooting with 2.2 turnovers against 1.6 assists (30% from 3) woof. Wonder if he is injured.

On a larger level can't really figure out why George would want to go to a different team over his stated desire of playing in LA.
Covington is a streaky shooter.  Last season, he shot horribly the 1st couple months or so.  He also hurt is back in December so maybe that is having some effect.

If George just wants to go to LA, he wouldn't.  If he wants to be on a playoff team and potential contender, he should.  The Lakers are a mess and George won't make them that much better.   

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 09:30:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If the Spurs could finagle it, Walker would be amazing as Parker's replacement and set them up for continued contention for a while. But I don't think they have the pieces.

Orlando is a really interesting trade partner. What if Orlando offered Hezonja, Payton, and Mack (for money purposes) with a first rounder? Orlando needs to do something drastic because they are terrible. A core of Walker, Gordon, Fournier, Vucevic, and Simmons is an interesting one going forward. If Charlotte can get a decent pick and gamble of some young guys who were drafted high but haven't panned out... Is there a team that's going to outbid that?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If the Spurs could finagle it, Walker would be amazing as Parker's replacement and set them up for continued contention for a while. But I don't think they have the pieces.

Dejounte Murray + Patty Mills + multiple picks.

Will that do it?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Dejounte Murray + Patty Mills + multiple picks.

Will that do it?
If I was Charlotte, neither Murray (a non-shooting guard) not Mills (29 years old) hold any interest for me and the Spurs picks are unlikely to be very good, especially if they have Walker. So no.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:22:34 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope the NYK deal goes down.  I think they'd love him there.  He's been a legend as MSG since UConn, and they're dying for a new star / potential face of the franchise.  I was surprised that they passed on DSJ for that reason alone.     
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Mark Stein discussed Kemba Walker being on the trading block on Monday's Dunc'd On podcast.  The Knicks were at the top of their list.  Maybe something like Ntilikina, Thomas and the Knicks 1st with some protection for Walker.

Something I could definitely see happening, but why would the Knicks want to give up Ntilikina? They seem very high on him, and I think him and KP would be the perfect duo to match up next to each other age-wise. The two could be a deadly one two punch in the future.

My main issue with Walker, Thomas, and Irving/Lillard is that they never really seem to be above average passers. They make the right play, and make the right pass most of the time, but they never really seem to get other players involved to an extent where their numbers are clearly progressively improved due to their ability to play make.
The Hornets have no reason to trade Kemba unless they get a good return.  Ntilikina was drafted by Jackson not the current regime so their commitment to him may not be that strong.
If I'm the Knicks, I'd first try to include dumping Noah as part of the trade but I didn't see anything realistic that the Hornets would accept.

Charlotte is not as bad as a team as their record suggests. Maybe it's partly the coach who's to blame, but to blow it up and trade your best player in this situation is pretty ballsy. On the other hand there's a clear ceiling on what that team can achieve (first round playoffs), due to having some very expensive contracts.

I would only trade Walker if I got good value in return. He's a (borderline) All Star and on a good contract. To make this publicly makes it harder to withdraw from negotations and resign him next year (and keep him as face of the franchise). On the other hand, now it's in the open the Hornets might be able to get teams to bid against each other. Even though the league is full with excellent guards, there could be several teams with serious interest for Walker.

If you look at the team at first glance there doesn't seem to be much value elsewhere and it doesn't make sense to trade a rookie like Monk. Some big contracts for Batum, Howard, Williams, Kidd-Gilchrist and C. Zeller, which don't look appealing in a vacuum. However, these players might not be great, they're not garbage either. Howard for instance, quietly has a very productive season. I think Zeller is undervalued so if I were the Hornets I would keep him.

Let's look at some opportunities for Charlotte to make some great trades for the future. Who are teams that should be looking for immediate improvement? And what needs to they have?

1. Cleveland: Thomas looks to be a bad fit on the team, especially defensively. Walker is a sure thing as being able to fill the role as starting PG. To make further improvements defensively they may be interested in Howard and offloading some bad contracts in the process. Brooklyn pick is the main piece they have to offer.

2. New York: They have a young point guard with Ntilikina with great potential, but it will take some years to develop him. Right now they're in a playoff race and the team could make a big step forward if they had an elite guard with Walker. That would take pressure of Porzingis as well. The Knicks also need wings. Batum or Kidd-Gilchrist would provide a solution for SF. Then they would get rid of Noah.

3. Denver: Another team that is looking to make the playoffs. Join Walker with Millsap and Jokic and you certainly have an interesting looking core there. Murray is the price to pay. They will also be interested in a team to take on Faried as salary filler as he's hardly getting playing time. He actually is a good player that the Hornets could easily pick up.

4. Philadelphia: The weird case of Markelle Fultz could even get weirder if he was traded in his first season in the NBA after only playing 76 minutes. The 76ers might have enough with these struggles and rather get a point guard who's guaranteed to give a high level of play and also some experience. If they're worried of sharing the ball handling duties with Simmons. Why did they make a big trade to be able to draft a PG in the first place?

5. Utah: This summer they traded for a new PG with Ricky Rubio. That is not really working with his assist number way down from previous years. He's not a scoring presence either like Walker. A back court with Walker and Mitchell would be great for that franchise. Then they finally have the PG they've been longing for years. The Jazz could offer the bird rights of Hood, Exum and some cap relief.

In another topic I'll do a proposal for a full blow up of the team by Charlotte. That involves Cleveland, New York and New Orleans. Let me know what you think!

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2018, 07:30:48 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I'm not sure what kind of draft picks it would take but I can see Utah wanting Kemba and being willing to take on Batum.

They have a lot of salary coming off the books and if they wanted to build around Kemba and Gobert it could work.

I would love to get Kemba on the Celtics but I don't think taking on bad contracts is a price worth paying at this juncture.

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
took 'em this long to realize kemba is not a guy to build around?

this could be a real fun trade deadline, i'm convinced one way or another the cavs will look completely different when we play 'em in the playoffs.

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 08:19:13 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

this could be a real fun trade deadline, i'm convinced one way or another the cavs will look completely different when we play 'em in the playoffs.

This is less about Kemba and more about all of the other mistakes that franchise has made. 

The Hornets are in cap hell with no way out.  Batum is a nightmare contract.  Howard is a bad contract.  Zeller, MKG, Williams... all expensive, all not giving them enough.  That's $84M locked up in players who don't help you win.

Kemba Walker, in contrast, is a good player on a very good deal.  He could help them shed some money or bring some legitimate future assets back.  It's not that they realize that he won't bring them to the promised land.  It's that they realize that they're ****ed and trading Kemba is the best way to start digging out. 

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

This is less about Kemba and more about all of the other mistakes that franchise has made. 

The Hornets are in cap hell with no way out.  Batum is a nightmare contract.  Howard is a bad contract.  Zeller, MKG, Williams... all expensive, all not giving them enough.  That's $84M locked up in players who don't help you win.

Kemba Walker, in contrast, is a good player on a very good deal.  He could help them shed some money or bring some legitimate future assets back.  It's not that they realize that he won't bring them to the promised land.  It's that they realize that they're ****ed and trading Kemba is the best way to start digging out.

Huge buy-low opportunity for someone.  This reminds me of Isaiah Thomas and Victor Oladipo where people undervalued dynamic guards because they were in terrible situations for their entire careers.

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope the NYK deal goes down.  I think they'd love him there.  He's been a legend as MSG since UConn, and they're dying for a new star / potential face of the franchise.  I was surprised that they passed on DSJ for that reason alone.   

Yeah, seems like a good fit for both parties. TP, tar.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Huge buy-low opportunity for someone.  This reminds me of Isaiah Thomas and Victor Oladipo where people undervalued dynamic guards because they were in terrible situations for their entire careers.
It isn't buy low if you have to take on one of the Hornets bad contracts.