Author Topic: Woj is reporting that Kemba Walker is on the trade block  (Read 10322 times)

Re: Woj is reporting that Kemba Walker is on the trade block
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 03:21:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Charlotte wants to dump some bad contracts and get an asset, so it will be interesting to see what type of offers are made.

The Cavs came to mind as they could move Thomas and they have a lot of contracts of varying sizes and length to match up with some of Charlotte's poor contracts.

I mean would something like Walker, Batum, Williams for Thomas, Shumpert, Frye, and Thompson be appealing to both teams.  Cavs can add in Osman, Zizic, their own 1st as necessary.  The trade saves Charlotte a ton of long term money and they get a guy in Thomas who could be the face of their franchise going forward.  Would it be different for Charlotte if Howard instead of Batum went out?

Walker would be very interesting on the Knicks, but they don't have the contracts to really acquire Walker let alone any of the other bad contracts on the Hornets. 

Denver makes a lot of sense and they do have a lot of contracts and can provide some quality players.

You realize every single time a player is rumored to be on the block you talk about how they "could make sense" on Cleveland and propose a way to get them there. You have done it with Bledsoe, Blake, Jordan, Kemba in the last few months alone. It's strange to spend so much time trying to improve the squad of one of our main rivals. What is the deal with that?

True, but it's a trade that makes a lot of sense for both teams IMO, so kudos to Rick.

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 03:21:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
My first thought was Phoenix. Could take on some of CHA's worst contracts with a combination of Chandler, Monroe, Dudley, Len, Alan Williams, etc. Salary dump + Kemba for salary dump plus assets.

Yes I could see this being the kind of deal that Phoenix would do to try and get relevant around their youth. I am not sure if Walker and Booker can play together, but next year with some continued growth from Bender, Chriss, Booker and Jackson they could be a lower end playoff team with Howard, Batum and Walker bridging the gap. This also accomplsihes Charlotte's primary goal of bottoming out.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/19/16910152/kemba-walker-charlotte-hornets-trade-tanking

CONTINUED growth from Bender?:-)))  He literally is ranked last, 96th in RPM and is 94th in defensive RPM.  I so NO growth, but perhaps even REGRESSION IF that is EVEN  POSSIBLE with Bender.  Bender is NOT an NBA player, period!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
I mean in the Dedmon thread, I made a trade to Boston because I think Dedmon would be a nice fit on the Celtics and the Celtics actually have the contracts able to acquire him.  Walker in Boston though is a terrible fit, would be hard to match his contract (without significantly overpaying), and there isn't really anyone else on the Hornets worth acquiring.

I agree he is not a good fit, but couldn't we acquire a player at that contract size sort of easily using the DPE and an immediate trade? Say throwing a second rounder to Sacramento for Vince Carter into the DPE and then immediately (or quickly) shipping him for a player making up to 5 Mil more per year? Somebody may have to check me on the specifics of how much salary can come back in that scenario but I think its 13.4 total as a possibility.

Just thought you would want to keep it in mind, it seems that like me you spend a lot of time thinking about trade possibilities.
Are we even sure we can trade someone acquired with the DPE?

I'm fairly confident, sources like the below link seem to imply that anyway.
http://www.celticshub.com/2017/11/30/disabled-player-exception-tricks-timing/

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I mean in the Dedmon thread, I made a trade to Boston because I think Dedmon would be a nice fit on the Celtics and the Celtics actually have the contracts able to acquire him.  Walker in Boston though is a terrible fit, would be hard to match his contract (without significantly overpaying), and there isn't really anyone else on the Hornets worth acquiring.

I agree he is not a good fit, but couldn't we acquire a player at that contract size sort of easily using the DPE and an immediate trade? Say throwing a second rounder to Sacramento for Vince Carter into the DPE and then immediately (or quickly) shipping him for a player making up to 5 Mil more per year? Somebody may have to check me on the specifics of how much salary can come back in that scenario but I think its 13.4 total as a possibility.

Just thought you would want to keep it in mind, it seems that like me you spend a lot of time thinking about trade possibilities.

Thanks. It's worth pointing out that we can no longer aggregate, because there's a wait period of 1 month, and the trade deadline is Feb 8. But we can run a three-teamer where we grab an expiring contract and move it for someone who's signed beyond this season right away.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

Thanks. It's worth pointing out that we can no longer aggregate, because there's a wait period of 1 month, and the trade deadline is Feb 8. But we can run a three-teamer where we grab an expiring contract and move it for someone who's signed beyond this season right away.

You're correct, but in my example we're not aggregating or adding players to the trade, simply acquiring one DPE via trade and then flipping them. As long as they're traded alone it can be done almost instantly. This happened a lot a few years back when Danny was flipping guys left and right. I think we had something like 40 guys touch the roster that year.

If we did the instant flip on a guy like Vince Carter (making 8 mil) we could actually take on a guy with multiple years on his deal for 13 mil or less (i was wrong earlier about the extra .4 mil).

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
My first thought was Phoenix. Could take on some of CHA's worst contracts with a combination of Chandler, Monroe, Dudley, Len, Alan Williams, etc. Salary dump + Kemba for salary dump plus assets.

Yes I could see this being the kind of deal that Phoenix would do to try and get relevant around their youth. I am not sure if Walker and Booker can play together, but next year with some continued growth from Bender, Chriss, Booker and Jackson they could be a lower end playoff team with Howard, Batum and Walker bridging the gap. This also accomplsihes Charlotte's primary goal of bottoming out.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/19/16910152/kemba-walker-charlotte-hornets-trade-tanking

CONTINUED growth from Bender?:-)))  He literally is ranked last, 96th in RPM and is 94th in defensive RPM.  I so NO growth, but perhaps even REGRESSION IF that is EVEN  POSSIBLE with Bender.  Bender is NOT an NBA player, period!!!

Smitty77

He has had a few games he has looked ok this year and only just turned 20. He is also shooting 37% from 3 on the year. I don't think he is a super elite prospect and could very well be a bust, but I wouldn't completly write him off either.

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Smitty77

He has had a few games he has looked ok this year and only just turned 20. He is also shooting 37% from 3 on the year. I don't think he is a super elite prospect and could very well be a bust, but I wouldn't completly write him off either.

Bender might not be same level of player as KP as he was often compared to in predraft but he will not be a bust. The little I have seen of him he seems like a system player. Put him in BS offense and he would thrive. I image playing ina structured offense with a real pg he would be very effective as a pick and pop big and setting up for the corner 3.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Walker, Dwight, and Batum to Cleveland for Love, IT, Tristan, Jae, and Frye works.

That might give Cleveland a real chance at another title.

They would HAVE to off load Batum as soon as possible AFTER this year however to afford to re-up Kemba.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6996255

Thoughts?

I HOPE this does NOT happen!!!

I think this is fair for Charlotte as well.  Quite good for the Hornets to be frank.

Smitty77

I don't see why Charlotte would do this or how this would definitely improve the Cavs.

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 05:56:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Mark Stein discussed Kemba Walker being on the trading block on Monday's Dunc'd On podcast.  The Knicks were at the top of their list.  Maybe something like Ntilikina, Thomas and the Knicks 1st with some protection for Walker. 

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Mark Stein discussed Kemba Walker being on the trading block on Monday's Dunc'd On podcast.  The Knicks were at the top of their list.  Maybe something like Ntilikina, Thomas and the Knicks 1st with some protection for Walker.

This makes a lot of sense to me and would like to see him playing in MSG

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Something I could definitely see happening, but why would the Knicks want to give up Ntilikina? They seem very high on him, and I think him and KP would be the perfect duo to match up next to each other age-wise. The two could be a deadly one two punch in the future.

My main issue with Walker, Thomas, and Irving/Lillard is that they never really seem to be above average passers. They make the right play, and make the right pass most of the time, but they never really seem to get other players involved to an extent where their numbers are clearly progressively improved due to their ability to play make.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Something I could definitely see happening, but why would the Knicks want to give up Ntilikina? They seem very high on him, and I think him and KP would be the perfect duo to match up next to each other age-wise. The two could be a deadly one two punch in the future.

My main issue with Walker, Thomas, and Irving/Lillard is that they never really seem to be above average passers. They make the right play, and make the right pass most of the time, but they never really seem to get other players involved to an extent where their numbers are clearly progressively improved due to their ability to play make.
The Hornets have no reason to trade Kemba unless they get a good return.  Ntilikina was drafted by Jackson not the current regime so their commitment to him may not be that strong.
If I'm the Knicks, I'd first try to include dumping Noah as part of the trade but I didn't see anything realistic that the Hornets would accept.   

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If you're Philadelphia, do you trade Markelle Fultz for Kemba Walker?

OMG

The process .....

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Im sure the 76ers wont do this but it might be their best move. Embiid is such an injury risk that they should be building a roster that can compete for a championship in the next 3 years. Its sad but most likely Embiid is going to have a Yao like career. Making drastic win now moves might be able to get them a couple deep playoff runs and then they can move on to a team built around Simmons
The Sixers should definitely not trade Fultz for Kemba.  Kemba doesn't make them a contender.  Simmons is their current and future PG and Kemba isn't a good fit.  As for Embiid, the Sixers clearly aren't that concerned with his long term health considering they signed him to a max deal with rather limited financial protections.  Embiid has had no foot issues since his 2nd surgery.  The same surgery that Durant had after his 1st surgery didn't work.  From what I've read, Ilgauskas, who came back to have and long career, and Yao had much more significant foot issues than Embiid. 

If I'm the Sixers, I'd try to get Sweet Lou or Tyreke.  Both of them are on 1 year contracts so they won't hurt next season's cap space but they'd provide offensive firepower that the Sixers need to make the playoffs this season.  In the offseason, I'd probably go aggressively after Paul George.  Simmons, Covington, George, Embiid and Fultz (if he gets his act together) would be a nasty starting lineup. 

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2018, 07:42:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Im sure the 76ers wont do this but it might be their best move. Embiid is such an injury risk that they should be building a roster that can compete for a championship in the next 3 years. Its sad but most likely Embiid is going to have a Yao like career. Making drastic win now moves might be able to get them a couple deep playoff runs and then they can move on to a team built around Simmons
The Sixers should definitely not trade Fultz for Kemba.  Kemba doesn't make them a contender.  Simmons is their current and future PG and Kemba isn't a good fit.  As for Embiid, the Sixers clearly aren't that concerned with his long term health considering they signed him to a max deal with rather limited financial protections.  Embiid has had no foot issues since his 2nd surgery.  The same surgery that Durant had after his 1st surgery didn't work.  From what I've read, Ilgauskas, who came back to have and long career, and Yao had much more significant foot issues than Embiid. 

If I'm the Sixers, I'd try to get Sweet Lou or Tyreke.  Both of them are on 1 year contracts so they won't hurt next season's cap space but they'd provide offensive firepower that the Sixers need to make the playoffs this season.  In the offseason, I'd probably go aggressively after Paul George.  Simmons, Covington, George, Embiid and Fultz (if he gets his act together) would be a nasty starting lineup.

I am not sure what is wrong with Covington but he has not been the same player since he signed his extension. He is shooting about 35% from the field the last month and a half. In 5 January games he is averaging 7 points on 33% shooting with 2.2 turnovers against 1.6 assists (30% from 3) woof. Wonder if he is injured.

On a larger level can't really figure out why George would want to go to a different team over his stated desire of playing in LA.