Author Topic: Woj is reporting that Kemba Walker is on the trade block  (Read 10319 times)

Re: Woj is reporting that Kemba Walker is on the trade block
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Walker would be very interesting on the Knicks, but they don't have the contracts to really acquire Walker let alone any of the other bad contracts on the Hornets. 

I too think the Knicks would be very interesting.  You'd have to think Walker would love that too being from NYC.

Now I'm pretty terrible at assessing fair value in the trade market, but maybe the Knicks could do something built around swapping Walker and Batum ($77m left on contract after this year) for Ntilikina (#8 pick this year, does he have value?) , Noah ($38m left) and filler (either Courtney Lee or Lance Thomas).

Knicks get the star by taking on a terrible contract, giving up a rookie PG whose no longer needed, and a mid first round pick (likely in the 14-20 range with Walker).

Charlotte gets rid of their worst contract, gets a recent #8 pick plus a mid-first pick to help with the rebuild/tank, and saves $10m-$20m in salary.

Kemba only has 1 1/2 years left on his deal, and plays a loaded position in the NBA that many of the playoff teams are already set at.  At best he's 8th best player at his position (behind Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Paul, Lillard, Irving, Wall), and there's not much decline expected there except for Paul.  And with Thomas, Dragic, Lowry, Conley right in that next tier with him, and Simmons and Mitchell looking legit as rookies, how much of a haul can Charlotte really get for him?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
But how can the Cavs possibly add more bad contracts? They are currently a team filled with them already. Why would the Hornets prefer the overpaid Cavs players to their own overpaid players.

It would be funny to see a deal centered around Kemba and IT/BKN pick, though. No way does Charlotte take back just IT and filler - they want high picks and prospects if they are giving up by far their most valuable piece/player.

I like Orlando as one of the most realistic possibilities  for both sides.
Because the Cavs bad contracts aren't nearly as big or long as the Hornets bad contracts (at least for the most part).  Thus, Charlotte sheds a ton of salary, both in the short and long term. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Charlotte wants to dump some bad contracts and get an asset, so it will be interesting to see what type of offers are made.

The Cavs came to mind as they could move Thomas and they have a lot of contracts of varying sizes and length to match up with some of Charlotte's poor contracts.

I mean would something like Walker, Batum, Williams for Thomas, Shumpert, Frye, and Thompson be appealing to both teams.  Cavs can add in Osman, Zizic, their own 1st as necessary.  The trade saves Charlotte a ton of long term money and they get a guy in Thomas who could be the face of their franchise going forward.  Would it be different for Charlotte if Howard instead of Batum went out?

Walker would be very interesting on the Knicks, but they don't have the contracts to really acquire Walker let alone any of the other bad contracts on the Hornets. 

Denver makes a lot of sense and they do have a lot of contracts and can provide some quality players.

You realize every single time a player is rumored to be on the block you talk about how they "could make sense" on Cleveland and propose a way to get them there. You have done it with Bledsoe, Blake, Jordan, Kemba in the last few months alone. It's strange to spend so much time trying to improve the squad of one of our main rivals. What is the deal with that?
It isn't hard to understand.  Cleveland has some holes, is always very active, and has a lot of contracts of varying lengths and sizes.  They are also a team that is very much in win now mode.  If Cleveland still had Irving, a trade of Walker to Cleveland wouldn't have made sense, must like it doesn't make sense for Boston, but with Thomas being an expiring contract working back from injury whose defense is awful, it makes him moveable, especially for a younger better defending PG on a better contract. 

I mean in the Dedmon thread, I made a trade to Boston because I think Dedmon would be a nice fit on the Celtics and the Celtics actually have the contracts able to acquire him.  Walker in Boston though is a terrible fit, would be hard to match his contract (without significantly overpaying), and there isn't really anyone else on the Hornets worth acquiring.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Charlotte wants to dump some bad contracts and get an asset, so it will be interesting to see what type of offers are made.

The Cavs came to mind as they could move Thomas and they have a lot of contracts of varying sizes and length to match up with some of Charlotte's poor contracts.

I mean would something like Walker, Batum, Williams for Thomas, Shumpert, Frye, and Thompson be appealing to both teams.  Cavs can add in Osman, Zizic, their own 1st as necessary.  The trade saves Charlotte a ton of long term money and they get a guy in Thomas who could be the face of their franchise going forward.  Would it be different for Charlotte if Howard instead of Batum went out?

Denver makes a lot of sense and they do have a lot of contracts and can provide some quality players.

You realize every single time a player is rumored to be on the block you talk about how they "could make sense" on Cleveland and propose a way to get them there. You have done it with Bledsoe, Blake, Jordan, Kemba in the last few months alone. It's strange to spend so much time trying to improve the squad of one of our main rivals. What is the deal with that?

I don't get your problem either... Moranis has explicitly stated countless times that he is also sort of a Cavs fan, and that current residence is in Ohio... You do realize you're also goading him too right? I mean, just let it go.......

It isn't hard to understand.  Cleveland has some holes, is always very active, and has a lot of contracts of varying lengths and sizes.  They are also a team that is very much in win now mode.  If Cleveland still had Irving, a trade of Walker to Cleveland wouldn't have made sense, must like it doesn't make sense for Boston, but with Thomas being an expiring contract working back from injury whose defense is awful, it makes him moveable, especially for a younger better defending PG on a better contract. 

I mean in the Dedmon thread, I made a trade to Boston because I think Dedmon would be a nice fit on the Celtics and the Celtics actually have the contracts able to acquire him.  Walker in Boston though is a terrible fit, would be hard to match his contract (without significantly overpaying), and there isn't really anyone else on the Hornets worth acquiring.

Walker is one of the most underappreciated point guards in the league, but he doesn't really make Cleveland that much better... I think Thomas is still injured, but bang for buck, they are both equally offensive scoring point guards. The Cavs main issue isn't that they need a point guard... Lebron James is basically the main ball handler at this point...

Like I have said numerous times... Crowder and Love as the 4/5 is not a good front court... Too weak defensively, and too undersized to bang with more stronger/speedier front courts...

I have always said Lebron needs to switch over to the 4 from now on... It creates so many mismatches, and causes the defenses to collapse especially when he overpowers the weaker 4's.

I can see Walker going over to NYK, or the Spurs. I can see the Spurs giving up a first rounder, and maybe some young pieces. I think Bertans would do well in the Hornets offense. He's a young solid 3 point shooting big that is slowly coming around on defense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If you're Philadelphia, do you trade Markelle Fultz for Kemba Walker?

Im sure the 76ers wont do this but it might be their best move. Embiid is such an injury risk that they should be building a roster that can compete for a championship in the next 3 years. Its sad but most likely Embiid is going to have a Yao like career. Making drastic win now moves might be able to get them a couple deep playoff runs and then they can move on to a team built around Simmons
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
But how can the Cavs possibly add more bad contracts? They are currently a team filled with them already. Why would the Hornets prefer the overpaid Cavs players to their own overpaid players.

It would be funny to see a deal centered around Kemba and IT/BKN pick, though. No way does Charlotte take back just IT and filler - they want high picks and prospects if they are giving up by far their most valuable piece/player.

I like Orlando as one of the most realistic possibilities  for both sides.
Because the Cavs bad contracts aren't nearly as big or long as the Hornets bad contracts (at least for the most part).  Thus, Charlotte sheds a ton of salary, both in the short and long term.

They’re not parting with their current franchise cornerstone for older players with only minimally cheaper contracts. If they’re trading Kemba to the Cavs, then the Brooklyn pick is going to be involved.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I don't get your problem either... Moranis has explicitly stated countless times that he is also sort of a Cavs fan, and that current residence is in Ohio... You do realize you're also goading him too right? I mean, just let it go.......

I am pretty sure Moranis has not explicitly said a bunch of times that he is a Cavs fan. He has actually talked about how he has a die hard Celtics fan (I believe he said from his family) that happens to live in Ohio. However, interesting defense to call him that lol.

Related to me "goading him", I think it is a fair question to ask why one of the most prolific posters constantly thinks about improving our chief rivals. I don't say jpotter constantly trying to improve the Wizards or Roy constantly proposing trades to improve the Raptors. So it piqued my interest because it is unusual and I asked him about.

His explanation of them being really active and having a hole he thinks they can fill (as well as him pointing out that he recently wanted the Celtics to get Dedmon makes some sense) so TP to him. If your idea that he is actually a Cavs fan is correct I would love to stand corrected cause i have debated with him many times and don't believe he has ever mentioned it to me.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

I agree he is not a good fit, but couldn't we acquire a player at that contract size sort of easily using the DPE and an immediate trade? Say throwing a second rounder to Sacramento for Vince Carter into the DPE and then immediately (or quickly) shipping him for a player making up to 5 Mil more per year? Somebody may have to check me on the specifics of how much salary can come back in that scenario but I think its 13.4 total as a possibility.

Just thought you would want to keep it in mind, it seems that like me you spend a lot of time thinking about trade possibilities.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would Cleveland trade IT (plus another contract like Frye) for Kemba?

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I agree he is not a good fit, but couldn't we acquire a player at that contract size sort of easily using the DPE and an immediate trade? Say throwing a second rounder to Sacramento for Vince Carter into the DPE and then immediately (or quickly) shipping him for a player making up to 5 Mil more per year? Somebody may have to check me on the specifics of how much salary can come back in that scenario but I think its 13.4 total as a possibility.

Just thought you would want to keep it in mind, it seems that like me you spend a lot of time thinking about trade possibilities.
Are we even sure we can trade someone acquired with the DPE?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
My first thought was Phoenix. Could take on some of CHA's worst contracts with a combination of Chandler, Monroe, Dudley, Len, Alan Williams, etc. Salary dump + Kemba for salary dump plus assets.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Walker, Dwight, and Batum to Cleveland for Love, IT, Tristan, Jae, and Frye works.

That might give Cleveland a real chance at another title.

They would HAVE to off load Batum as soon as possible AFTER this year however to afford to re-up Kemba.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6996255

Thoughts?

I HOPE this does NOT happen!!!

I think this is fair for Charlotte as well.  Quite good for the Hornets to be frank.

Smitty77

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Walker, Dwight, and Batum to Cleveland for Love, IT, Tristan, Jae, and Frye works.

That might give Cleveland a real chance at another title.

They would HAVE to off load Batum as soon as possible AFTER this year however to afford to re-up Kemba.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6996255

Thoughts?

I HOPE this does NOT happen!!!

I think this is fair for Charlotte as well.  Quite good for the Hornets to be frank.

Smitty77

IT is not tradeable right now. He is shooting 25% from 3, 37% from field and playing his usual bad defense. The right to offer him a max contract has very little value. Love and Thompson are solid enough players (and IT if he improves at all) that they stop the Hornets from completely bottoming out for a top 3 pick (which would be the whole point of trading all those guys).

I also don't think given how much Cleveland has struggled this year and Lebron has openly lamented not having consistent rotations because of injuries that he would be interested in having a 60% turnover in the starting lineup 50 games in. Does that really seem like something the Cavs would do? I do think they would consider trading Thompson and shumpert and the brooklyn pick for Gasol or Jordan if they were to become available, but it is a lot easier to work in one new starter than 3.

So I don't think that is a deal either side would really do.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
My first thought was Phoenix. Could take on some of CHA's worst contracts with a combination of Chandler, Monroe, Dudley, Len, Alan Williams, etc. Salary dump + Kemba for salary dump plus assets.

Yes I could see this being the kind of deal that Phoenix would do to try and get relevant around their youth. I am not sure if Walker and Booker can play together, but next year with some continued growth from Bender, Chriss, Booker and Jackson they could be a lower end playoff team with Howard, Batum and Walker bridging the gap. This also accomplsihes Charlotte's primary goal of bottoming out.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/19/16910152/kemba-walker-charlotte-hornets-trade-tanking

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
There's no way the Cs are interested, are they? I mean, the only concern I'd have would be the pride of Kemba, but imagine running Kemba in the second unit?

A package of Smart, Morris, and either Rozier or Yabusele would be better than any package that's been mentioned in this thread so far.