Author Topic: DeWayne Dedmon available.  (Read 5844 times)

Re: DeWayne Dedmon available.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I agree with Aztar that we don't necessarily need him because our centers are solid.  I do like Dedmon and prefer him to guys like Noel, however.

While our centers are "solid," Davis and Boogie torched them, showing we are weak against stronger centers.  One wrong playoff matchup and we could be done.  I'm intrigued by Dedmon as a long, defensively capable big getting 10 and 8 in 22 MPG, but definitely not overpaying for him.  I'd consider a 2nd rounder.

That said, I don't think Dedmon would have been able to stop Davis, but he does give us a different look.

For the life of me, after the Pelicans game, I cannot see how anyone could think "our centers are solid".  Cousins and Davis raped them at will in front of 2M people.  And Horford smiled.
Brrrrr, even though I am in Croatia, I am freezing out of fear of these 2 players.
DMC that already secured career losing record - 329L:202W. Brrrr. - 127 freezing degrees.
I am also scared he might not finish every other game he was supposed to play in, be it for ejection, 6th foul, his teams or leagues suspension or injury reasons. And one more, his coach might bench him in the clutch (just as he did vs us) as he doesn't show any defensive effort. Wide shelf to choose from.
AD and whole 4 (0W-4L) games of his playoff career are also frightening.
It truly makes me think we could meet in the finals 6 months from now, and that their frontcourt will destroy us.
Even if they somehow make the playoffs this year, someone will mop the floor with them in the 1st round.

We are in the East!
What centers are scary?
Which one is better than AL?
Tristian Thompson?
Gortat? Henson? Kelly Olynyk?

The East centers who are able enough to have their way offensively and rebounding-wise with us to change the game:
- Drummond
- Embiid
- Myles Turner
- Whiteside
- Hell, even Dwight Howard

Horford is a great asset on the offensive side of the ball but doesn;t defend or rebound like a "true" center.
Players you listed, sans D12 are all good to great, but realistically, their teams don't scare me.
Detroit, Philly, Indy are all OK teams, but nothing to make us fearful. Heck, if we lose to them we are no good at all and don't deserve to advance. But that is not the case here. I named some of better East teams like Cleveland, Washington, Miami(as you did) and Milwaukee.

Miami team invokes more respect in me. They won't give up, they will execute, will be well coached ans will remain physical throughout the series. However, Hassan was played off the floor many times in our meetings past 3 years. But with Kelly and Bam they could have a few more options to choose from at the center spot.

I'll add to the DMC & AD conversation.
I think that their names will historically end up as a "Big-mens epitaph" of sorts.

- Two of the best bigs in the league.
- Their games are so versatile that they fit together. Nice.
- They don't dispute, but willingly work and support each other. Kentucky ties.
- They score 50 points a game. Efficiently and provide solid spacing for two traditional bigs.
- Their often injured players remain healthy, something that was a big concern prior to this season. Between of their three, by far, best players AD, Jrue and DMC they played 126/132 possible games. Great!
- Their rivals in the playoff race; Clippers, Utah, Denver, all had injury troubled All-stars to give them the advantage. Even better.

They are 23-21.
If they fail, and it looks to me like it will. Why would GM's league wide entrain similar concept in the near future? There is simply no cap space to pay 2 bigs the max, while you need a max wing and another max ball-handler? Unless you hit some consecutive great value picks.

Something is fishy wouldn't you agree?
The best twin tower combo of this era, with a competent PG, can't do better than that?
Maybe one or both are not as good.
Maybe their skills are not as necessary as some would think.
Cause if all what is said about them was true, then we should be watching a 33-11 team
and not the 23-21 team we see.

Celtic bigs are fine. AS a whole they are not the best in the league or elite, but all are serviceable. All defend and shoot some. Dedmon would fit, but wouldn't turn the series around or log huge minutes unless one of the guys got injured. He would be a good insurance.
Is that worth any asset? Not to me. Maybe a small one, like late top 55 protected 2nd, but Atlanta could probably do better than that elsewhere.

The missing link on our team is the obvious answer. Gordon Hayward.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I agree with Aztar that we don't necessarily need him because our centers are solid.  I do like Dedmon and prefer him to guys like Noel, however.

While our centers are "solid," Davis and Boogie torched them, showing we are weak against stronger centers.  One wrong playoff matchup and we could be done.  I'm intrigued by Dedmon as a long, defensively capable big getting 10 and 8 in 22 MPG, but definitely not overpaying for him.  I'd consider a 2nd rounder.

That said, I don't think Dedmon would have been able to stop Davis, but he does give us a different look.

For the life of me, after the Pelicans game, I cannot see how anyone could think "our centers are solid".  Cousins and Davis raped them at will in front of 2M people.  And Horford smiled.
Brrrrr, even though I am in Croatia, I am freezing out of fear of these 2 players.
DMC that already secured career losing record - 329L:202W. Brrrr. - 127 freezing degrees.
I am also scared he might not finish every other game he was supposed to play in, be it for ejection, 6th foul, his teams or leagues suspension or injury reasons. And one more, his coach might bench him in the clutch (just as he did vs us) as he doesn't show any defensive effort. Wide shelf to choose from.
AD and whole 4 (0W-4L) games of his playoff career are also frightening.
It truly makes me think we could meet in the finals 6 months from now, and that their frontcourt will destroy us.
Even if they somehow make the playoffs this year, someone will mop the floor with them in the 1st round.

We are in the East!
What centers are scary?
Which one is better than AL?
Tristian Thompson?
Gortat? Henson? Kelly Olynyk?

The East centers who are able enough to have their way offensively and rebounding-wise with us to change the game:
- Drummond
- Embiid
- Myles Turner
- Whiteside
- Hell, even Dwight Howard

Horford is a great asset on the offensive side of the ball but doesn;t defend or rebound like a "true" center.
Players you listed, sans D12 are all good to great, but realistically, their teams don't scare me.
Detroit, Philly, Indy are all OK teams, but nothing to make us fearful. Heck, if we lose to them we are no good at all and don't deserve to advance.
But that is not the case here. I named some of better East teams like Cleveland, Washington, Miami(as you did) and Milwaukee.

Miami team invokes more respect in me. They won't give up, they will execute, will be well coached ans will remain physical throughout the series. However, Hassan was played off the floor many times in our meetings past 3 years. But with Kelly and Bam they could have a few more options to choose from at the center spot.

I'll add to the DMC & AD conversation.
I think that their names will historically end up as a "Big-mens epitaph" of sorts.

- Two of the best bigs in the league.
- Their games are so versatile that they fit together. Nice.
- They don't dispute, but willingly work and support each other. Kentucky ties.
- They score 50 points a game. Efficiently and provide solid spacing for two traditional bigs.
- Their often injured players remain healthy, something that was a big concern prior to this season. Between of their three, by far, best players AD, Jrue and DMC they played 126/132 possible games. Great!
- Their rivals in the playoff race; Clippers, Utah, Denver, all had injury troubled All-stars to give them the advantage. Even better.

They are 23-21.
If they fail, and it looks to me like it will. Why would GM's league wide entrain similar concept in the near future? There is simply no cap space to pay 2 bigs the max, while you need a max wing and another max ball-handler? Unless you hit some consecutive great value picks.

Something is fishy wouldn't you agree?
The best twin tower combo of this era, with a competent PG, can't do better than that?
Maybe one or both are not as good.
Maybe their skills are not as necessary as some would think.
Cause if all what is said about them was true, then we should be watching a 33-11 team
and not the 23-21 team we see.

Celtic bigs are fine. AS a whole they are not the best in the league or elite, but all are serviceable. All defend and shoot some. Dedmon would fit, but wouldn't turn the series around or log huge minutes unless one of the guys got injured. He would be a good insurance.
Is that worth any asset? Not to me. Maybe a small one, like late top 55 protected 2nd, but Atlanta could probably do better than that elsewhere.

The missing link on our team is the obvious answer. Gordon Hayward.

Agree, but not willing to concede that our front court is good enough defensively for a Championship.  I also agree that Dedmon only makes sense for a late draft pick (I suggest any of our own 1sts and that'd include any 2nds IMO)

For the record, here's the big men stats from the times this season when the C's lost to DET and PHI:
L 118-108 to Detroit; Drummond 26pts, 22 reb, 6 assists, 4 steals (Horford 11, 5, 5, 1)
L 89-80 to Philly; Embiid 26pts, 16reb, 6 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks (Horford 14, 3, 3, 1, 2)

Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 01:06:42 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like Dedmon for the DPE.  We need better length and depth because our bigs can get torched at times.

Cousins and Boogie frontcourt smoked us.  Embiid was a one man wrecking crew.

In addition I'd like us to add a bench scorer.

So adding Dedmon and Hood would give us great depth for a playoff run.  We'd have a hard time keeping the band together BUT if we made it to the finals we could attract one of our FA's to stay and then a good MLE free agent vet.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:53 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
So why did Atlanta sign him in the first place? How often does a player, as more than just a throw-in or for cap purposes, get traded in the same season that he signed a contract?
It doesn't make sense. What exactly did they expect out of him? I take it he was a big part of Atlanta winning a few games recently. It's why he gots to go!

Probably the same reason we used to sign the likes of Jordan Crawford and Marshon Brooks in the height of our own rebuild. Build up their trade value and flip them for  more assets.
Banner 18 please 😍