Author Topic: DeWayne Dedmon available.  (Read 5847 times)

Re: DeWayne Dedmon available.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I agree with Aztar that we don't necessarily need him because our centers are solid.  I do like Dedmon and prefer him to guys like Noel, however.

While our centers are "solid," Davis and Boogie torched them, showing we are weak against stronger centers.  One wrong playoff matchup and we could be done.  I'm intrigued by Dedmon as a long, defensively capable big getting 10 and 8 in 22 MPG, but definitely not overpaying for him.  I'd consider a 2nd rounder.

That said, I don't think Dedmon would have been able to stop Davis, but he does give us a different look.
What team in the East do you see presenting the same problem as NOP?

Good question.  Short answer is "None" but longer answer is: I'd be worried about any center going off inside against us AND out-rebounding our entire team: Drummond, Embiid, Myles Turner, even Giannis and Whiteside could out perform our center for an entire series.  Washington, Milwaukee, Toronto, and Indiana's outside/driving game could swing games too if we can't stop them in the paint.
So adding a 3rd center to the roster will solve those issues? I understand the underlying premise of your concern. But I think the Cs have held out pretty well so far this season against bigs with the Horford/Baynes/Theis rotation. I agree that maybe they could you an end of bench guy for depth in case anyone gets hurt but I dont think adding another big to a team that doesnt really utulize them will really do anything.

I do like Dedmon though and hoped they would somehow be able to grab him last offseason (before Baynes happened). I think he would be a good fit on this team (style wise).

I think at the end of the day I'd rather have Dedmon on the bench over Nader.  Dedmon gives more versatility to our BIGS rotation than Nader does to our WINGS. But not enough to REALLY care about, hence a 2nd rounder would be a fine flier to take but no more.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I agree with Aztar that we don't necessarily need him because our centers are solid.  I do like Dedmon and prefer him to guys like Noel, however.

While our centers are "solid," Davis and Boogie torched them, showing we are weak against stronger centers.  One wrong playoff matchup and we could be done.  I'm intrigued by Dedmon as a long, defensively capable big getting 10 and 8 in 22 MPG, but definitely not overpaying for him.  I'd consider a 2nd rounder.

That said, I don't think Dedmon would have been able to stop Davis, but he does give us a different look.

Good question.  Short answer is "None" but longer answer is: I'd be worried about any center going off inside against us AND out-rebounding our entire team: Drummond, Embiid, Myles Turner, even Giannis and Whiteside could out perform our center for an entire series.  Washington, Milwaukee, Toronto, and Indiana's outside/driving game could swing games too if we can't stop them in the paint.
So adding a 3rd center to the roster will solve those issues? I understand the underlying premise of your concern. But I think the Cs have held out pretty well so far this season against bigs with the Horford/Baynes/Theis rotation. I agree that maybe they could you an end of bench guy for depth in case anyone gets hurt but I dont think adding another big to a team that doesnt really utulize them will really do anything.

I do like Dedmon though and hoped they would somehow be able to grab him last offseason (before Baynes happened). I think he would be a good fit on this team (style wise).
Boston has a number of players that will essentially be useless come playoff time.  Adding someone that can play in the playoffs is a good thing, especially someone who is a big body and can provide valuable minutes as a big body.  That aside, Dedmon is better than Baynes and thus would be starting next to Horford.  Any time you can upgrade a starter, you should do it if the cost isn't that much. 

Given Dedmon's 6 million salary, the question is what type of trade could be worked out.  I think I'd trade Semi, Nader, Larkin, and BOS 1st for Dedmon.  I think that is the type of trade that makes a great deal of sense for Boston, though I'm not sure Ainge would want to give up Semi and the 1st to make it happen, but I'd feel a lot better entering the playoffs with that roster (and maybe you don't need the 1st if the Hawks really like Semi).  I'd then do a 2nd trade with the Hawks and absorb Belinelli into the DPE (Illyasova could also be acquired in that manner if he was preferred to Belinelli).  So post trades with a couple of open roster spots for post-trade deadline adds

PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Brown, Smart, Belinelli
SF - Tatum, Morris
PF - Horford, Theis, Yabu
C - Dedmon, Baynes

That team has a much better shot at coming out of the east by upgrading the starting center and adding a great shooting wing off the bench and swapping out 3 rookies and an unneeded future draft pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Green 18 or Burst

Boston has a number of players that will essentially be useless come playoff time.  Adding someone that can play in the playoffs is a good thing, especially someone who is a big body and can provide valuable minutes as a big body.  That aside, Dedmon is better than Baynes and thus would be starting next to Horford.  Any time you can upgrade a starter, you should do it if the cost isn't that much. 

Given Dedmon's 6 million salary, the question is what type of trade could be worked out.  I think I'd trade Semi, Nader, Larkin, and BOS 1st for Dedmon.  I think that is the type of trade that makes a great deal of sense for Boston, though I'm not sure Ainge would want to give up Semi and the 1st to make it happen, but I'd feel a lot better entering the playoffs with that roster (and maybe you don't need the 1st if the Hawks really like Semi).  I'd then do a 2nd trade with the Hawks and absorb Belinelli into the DPE (Illyasova could also be acquired in that manner if he was preferred to Belinelli).  So post trades with a couple of open roster spots for post-trade deadline adds

PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Brown, Smart, Belinelli
SF - Tatum, Morris
PF - Horford, Theis, Yabu
C - Dedmon, Baynes

That team has a much better shot at coming out of the east by upgrading the starting center and adding a great shooting wing off the bench and swapping out 3 rookies and an unneeded future draft pick.

TP for that.  Well said.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
We're okay at center.  Horford, Baynes, a little bit of Theis.  That's solid.  I like Dedmon well enough but I don't think he makes sense for us at this time.

That's solid with talent.  Very, very thin with depth at true 'big'.  Especially since we are playing Horford so much more at the 4 this year (which has been a HUGE advantage) and that we rarely play either of Theis or Baynes more than 20 minutes.

If either of Baynes or Theis gets injured for any length of time, then suddenly we have just 2-man depth at the 5 and it ripples badly into the 4 because Al will need to play mostly at the 5 suddenly.

I'm not saying Dedmon is the answer, but it would not at all be a bad idea for Danny to add a true big man like him either at the deadline or via waiver pick-up after teams buyout contracts.

Doesn't need to be a super-star.   Someone like Tyson Chandler or Greg Monroe, should either be cut by the Suns, would fit perfect.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:53 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112

For the life of me, after the Pelicans game, I cannot see how anyone could think "our centers are solid".  Cousins and Davis raped them at will in front of 2M people.  And Horford smiled.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

For the life of me, after the Pelicans game, I cannot see how anyone could think "our centers are solid".  Cousins and Davis raped them at will in front of 2M people.  And Horford smiled.
Brrrrr, even though I am in Croatia, I am freezing out of fear of these 2 players.
DMC that already secured career losing record - 329L:202W. Brrrr. - 127 freezing degrees.
I am also scared he might not finish every other game he was supposed to play in, be it for ejection, 6th foul, his teams or leagues suspension or injury reasons. And one more, his coach might bench him in the clutch (just as he did vs us) as he doesn't show any defensive effort. Wide shelf to choose from.
AD and whole 4 (0W-4L) games of his playoff career are also frightening.
It truly makes me think we could meet in the finals 6 months from now, and that their frontcourt will destroy us.
Even if they somehow make the playoffs this year, someone will mop the floor with them in the 1st round.

We are in the East!
What centers are scary?
Which one is better than AL?
Tristian Thompson?
Gortat? Henson? Kelly Olynyk?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:45:24 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 07:02:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he would help but as it is with all players the price has to be right.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Would love to have him, he'd be great next to Horford.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Green 18 or Burst

Brrrrr, even though I am in Croatia, I am freezing out of fear of these 2 players.
DMC that already secured career losing record - 329L:202W. Brrrr. - 127 freezing degrees.
I am also scared he might not finish every other game he was supposed to play in, be it for ejection, 6th foul, his teams or leagues suspension or injury reasons. And one more, his coach might bench him in the clutch (just as he did vs us) as he doesn't show any defensive effort. Wide shelf to choose from.
AD and whole 4 (0W-4L) games of his playoff career are also frightening.
It truly makes me think we could meet in the finals 6 months from now, and that their frontcourt will destroy us.
Even if they somehow make the playoffs this year, someone will mop the floor with them in the 1st round.

We are in the East!
What centers are scary?
Which one is better than AL?
Tristian Thompson?
Gortat? Henson? Kelly Olynyk?

The East centers who are able enough to have their way offensively and rebounding-wise with us to change the game:
- Drummond
- Embiid
- Myles Turner
- Whiteside
- Hell, even Dwight Howard

Horford is a great asset on the offensive side of the ball but doesn;t defend or rebound like a "true" center.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

What would you be willing to GIVE UP to get a player with almost an 18 PER and on that would be averaging a double double if given 30 minutes??

Smitty77

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

What would you be willing to GIVE UP to get a player with almost an 18 PER and on that would be averaging a double double if given 30 minutes??

Smitty77

On a contract for one more year, and for a player who has a long injury history.

I'd give one of our own future firsts (late 20s pick).

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I really would love to have Dedmon in the lineup. My only concern is his Player Option.

I sort of don't want to give up a 1st rounder for what could be a rental. But with our position in the standings, if we keep it up, it's basically an early 2nd.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I really would love to have Dedmon in the lineup. My only concern is his Player Option.

I sort of don't want to give up a 1st rounder for what could be a rental. But with our position in the standings, if we keep it up, it's basically an early 2nd.
And how many more young players that need developing does Boston really need (and let's face it, a late 1st round pick is almost always going to be a guy that needs developing). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yabusele and Nader work on the trade machine. Those two and a low first rounder. I'd rather keep Larkin and Semi.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I wonder why he barely played any meaningful minutes in last year’s playoffs.