Author Topic: Great Jayson Tatum article  (Read 2613 times)

Great Jayson Tatum article
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22134382/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-not-your-average-rookie-nba

"That's what you want to see from young guys," Morris said. "When I got here, I saw how he holds himself, the swagger he's got. It reminded me of myself. He's a good kid and he's going to be around this league for a long time. ..."

"This kid, he's going to be a superstar."

Re: Great Jayson Tatum article
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Trading crowder away to get Tatum more playing time is an underrated move that is never discussed. Has we still had crowder, we’d be starting crowder and seeing him brick shots and his overrated defense, and tatums minutes may be less

“he had spent the break between the end of his lone college season and the start of private pre-draft workouts hoisting 250 3-pointers per day with hopes of being able to prove to NBA suitors that he could eliminate one of his few perceived weaknesses”

Love this work ethic

“According to Second Spectrum shooting data, Tatum has a quantified shooter impact (qSI) of 15.4 percent, meaning that he shoots 15.4 percent better on 3-pointers than an average player in similar situations (based on defensive pressure, shot clock, and shot type). That mark ranks him third in the NBA behind only the Chicago Bulls' Nikola Mirotic (17.5) and the Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (15.6).”

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:16:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Trading crowder away to get Tatum more playing time is an underrated move that is never discussed. Has we still had crowder, we’d be starting crowder and seeing him brick shots and his overrated defense, and tatums minutes may be less

“he had spent the break between the end of his lone college season and the start of private pre-draft workouts hoisting 250 3-pointers per day with hopes of being able to prove to NBA suitors that he could eliminate one of his few perceived weaknesses”

Love this work ethic

to be honest, i thought trading Crowder away (besides getting Irving) was also to free up more playing time for Brown. I am very surprised (and happy) to see Tatum grow so fast and quickly, i was not expecting this

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Next year's lineup of Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Irving will be something to behold. None may average more than 20 PPG but could have 4 guys averaging between 17-20 PPG.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Next year's lineup of Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Irving will be something to behold. None may average more than 20 PPG but could have 4 guys averaging between 17-20 PPG.
Frankly, I actually expect to have 3 guys averaging 15 ppg or fewer.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Well we have that this year. But with growth from the youngsters and addition of Hayward I could see the 4 of them scoring in the range I said and no one else over 10PPG.

Of course if Kyrie doesn't want to sacrifice his scoring numbers, you are probably right.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Well we have that this year. But with growth from the youngsters and addition of Hayward I could see the 4 of them scoring in the range I said and no one else over 10PPG.

Of course if Kyrie doesn't want to sacrifice his scoring numbers, you are probably right.
I see Kyrie being Kyrie, Hayward in the 18-20 range, and everyone else in the starting lineup in the 12-15 range.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I see Kyrie being Kyrie, Hayward in the 18-20 range, and everyone else in the starting lineup in the 12-15 range.
I think you are right.  Kyrie will probably be the same Kyrie and I have a feeling that I will be thinking that he should be taking less shots and Tatum will probably deserve more than he will be getting.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

As it should be.   

We should all keep in mind that the Celtics offense is not good right now so hopefully it gets a lot better and improves and evolves.  Good news is, aside from losing a huge part in Smart maybe next year, it's hard to see why the defense will fall off too much.

Although I think there is a pretty good possibility for the rotation to look quite different by then so I'm not looking ahead with that much thought that it will matter later.  Or at least, minutes freed up from other players.  I also trust Stevens to maximize the roster throughout a whole game.  He has up to this point and I would love to see him work with that much talent, with Hayward back and more growth from Brown and Tatum.

We will see what happens with Smart.  I love him and would hate to lose him but I know how money goes.  No idea what the market will be like at this point.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Anyone see that pierce Tatum ESPN segment today

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be very surprised if Tatum and Brown can’t crack 15, considering they’re both basically at 14ppg. Tatum should almost certainly get there, assuming he shoots more. And Brown should too assuming his free throw shooting improves
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I would be very surprised if Tatum and Brown can’t crack 15, considering they’re both basically at 14ppg. Tatum should almost certainly get there, assuming he shoots more. And Brown should too assuming his free throw shooting improves
Sure, but that's when Hayward isn't around. They will surely score more down the road. Just perhaps not next year.