Author Topic: Exec: Number Of Big Men In NBA Could Be Cut In Half By 2020.  (Read 2806 times)

Re: Exec: Number Of Big Men In NBA Could Be Cut In Half By 2020.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I disagree with this.  Porzingis, Davis, Greek Freak, Embiid are all big men and very impactful.  Durant is nearly 7' also. 

That's the cream of the crop though.  There will always be room in the league for superlative talents.

I don't think there's any question that teams are going to have a hard time carrying more than 2-3 guys who can't hit a three, run a pick and roll, or switch onto smaller players on the perimeter.  That type of player is more and more going to be relegated to playing at the center position exclusively, and then only for 15-20 minutes per night.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I disagree with this.  Porzingis, Davis, Greek Freak, Embiid are all big men and very impactful.  Durant is nearly 7' also. 

That's the cream of the crop though.  There will always be room in the league for superlative talents.

I don't think there's any question that teams are going to have a hard time carrying more than 2-3 guys who can't hit a three, run a pick and roll, or switch onto smaller players on the perimeter.  That type of player is more and more going to be relegated to playing at the center position exclusively, and then only for 15-20 minutes per night.

I don't think the number of big men will be cut in half. I think big men will adapt their games in the long run. We are already seeing it with a lot of the younger crop showing the ability to hit threes and handle the ball more. Even some vets like Marc Gasol managed to modify their game to adapt. It will take time, but as younger generations of big men grow up with the modern game, they will focus more on shooting, ball handling, and mobility, and we will see it a few generations down the line.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The Cs are currently on the cutting edge of the NBA newest roster trend playing big small ball and this is going to continue to kill the traditional big man. What I mean by "big small ball" is the ability for teams to play 5 shooters and space the court without having a bunch of under size players at each position. When the Cs start Morris (and down the road Hayward) they are able to play a 6'10 big, 3 6'8-6'9 wings, and one traditional guard. This is the same concept that the Warriors dominate with and why positional size and length are so important.

With a main 15 man roster  I would think that the ideal roster construction would be (2) stretch 4/5s, (1) traditional big, (4) guards, and the remaining (8) spots going to wing players with at least 2 of them having the strength to defend respectably in the post. I would then use the 2-way on 1 traditional big and a filler prospect. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The era of the big stiff is over.

Eurobigs are now the norm.

Turns out, skills matter.

It will take coaches at the younger levels letting the taller players wander away from the hoop. Imagine you're Al Jefferson's high school coach. Do you have him learning to shoot 3's, or scoring 60 a game in the paint?  If you're Perk or Jeff Foster's coach, do you tell them to play volleyball?

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The era of the big stiff is over.

Eurobigs are now the norm.

Turns out, skills matter.

It will take coaches at the younger levels letting the taller players wander away from the hoop. Imagine you're Al Jefferson's high school coach. Do you have him learning to shoot 3's, or scoring 60 a game in the paint?  If you're Perk or Jeff Foster's coach, do you tell them to play volleyball?

I dunno what the high school coach would do, but any player like Perk or Foster coming up today should work on hitting spot-up corner threes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain