Author Topic: Trump releases fake news awards, and the winner is.....  (Read 1548 times)

Re: Trump releases fake news awards, and the winner is.....
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 914
One news organization is noticeably absent. 

Hmm....
MSNBC?

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1355
So who is faker? 

I realize there are those on either side who would claim high(er) ground, but does it really matter?  I mean can we just acknowledge that both sides play politics and that news providers on both sides manipulate their presentation to promote a biased view of the news?   If one does it more so than the other, who cares at this point. 

I do. I care very, very much. Equating them does a disservice to people who report actual news stories, and get labelled as 'fake' because Trump & Co find their thesis inconvenient for one reason or another. It's tearing down the way we as a nation process world events, it is changing the nature of what's true and what's false. Trump's already laid down the law for his supporters, 'True is what I say it is'.

Your point is well taken.  However it's hard to watch MSNBC and CNN (which I do every night) and not conclude that there is a liberal bias.  Whether we are talking "fake" or "biased", the bottom line to me is that we are approaching this (and have been long before Trump) incorrectly. Instead of listening and considering others points of view, we disparage, mock, dismiss and marginalize.  As soon as a liberal is sniffed, the person is belittled by the right... And much the same occurs when roles are reversed.  There has seemed to me to be more vitriol and anger seething from the right -- but that's probably my bias.   The bottom line for me is that I am starting to hear the voices of bipartisanship from Lyndsey Graham and from the Rs and Ds who are voicing support for a bipartisan deal.   The idea that we might get an actual deal in which moderates dominate the far-left liberals and Freedom caucus repubs is hopeful.   I don't need to hear any more about who is faker.  I want to hear about them working together and solving problems.   Each discussion of who is faker is wasted time.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:24:26 PM »

Online rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1183
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:42:46 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:52 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 32
The undeniable Liberal bias in the media isn't going to go away because of how pathetic society has become over the last 25-ish years, particularly the last 8.  Trump needs to stop worrying about these idiots though and be a PRESIDENT.  Stop acting like a petulant child.

Once I started getting into the political/social stuff I quickly realized that watching it on TV was a waste.  I'll stick to reading/watching Antonia Okafor, Ben Shapiro, Steven Crowder, Christina Hoff-Sommers, and occasionally Milo (just because his needling of the left can be comical at times).

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 09:46:04 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 92
So who is faker? 

I realize there are those on either side who would claim high(er) ground, but does it really matter?  I mean can we just acknowledge that both sides play politics and that news providers on both sides manipulate their presentation to promote a biased view of the news?   If one does it more so than the other, who cares at this point. 

I do. I care very, very much. Equating them does a disservice to people who report actual news stories, and get labelled as 'fake' because Trump & Co find their thesis inconvenient for one reason or another. It's tearing down the way we as a nation process world events, it is changing the nature of what's true and what's false. Trump's already laid down the law for his supporters, 'True is what I say it is'.

Your point is well taken.  However it's hard to watch MSNBC and CNN (which I do every night) and not conclude that there is a liberal bias.  Whether we are talking "fake" or "biased", the bottom line to me is that we are approaching this (and have been long before Trump) incorrectly. Instead of listening and considering others points of view, we disparage, mock, dismiss and marginalize.  As soon as a liberal is sniffed, the person is belittled by the right... And much the same occurs when roles are reversed.  There has seemed to me to be more vitriol and anger seething from the right -- but that's probably my bias.   The bottom line for me is that I am starting to hear the voices of bipartisanship from Lyndsey Graham and from the Rs and Ds who are voicing support for a bipartisan deal.   The idea that we might get an actual deal in which moderates dominate the far-left liberals and Freedom caucus repubs is hopeful.   I don't need to hear any more about who is faker.  I want to hear about them working together and solving problems.   Each discussion of who is faker is wasted time.

I think it's tough for MSNBC and CNN not to have a liberal bias when so much of their reporting is based on currently accepted science, evidence based research, and facts. 

In my opinion if they abandoned their commitment to those things they'd be much more neutral, but they wouldn't be better news organizations. However, I realize it is an old fashioned and possibly outdated view to expect people in positions of authority to actually know what they're talking about.

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 10:55:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1191
So who is faker? 

Excellent post. This pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.

TP

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 11:54:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2034
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Nobody should be watching CNN and MSNBC. Or Fox. Or YouTube pundits. Etc. Basically if you're getting your news from someone toughtalking a camera or a keyboard you're gonna be chronically misinformed and probably p---ed off all the time to boot.

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 06:57:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1042
Nobody should be watching CNN and MSNBC. Or Fox. Or YouTube pundits. Etc. Basically if you're getting your news from someone toughtalking a camera or a keyboard you're gonna be chronically misinformed and probably p---ed off all the time to boot.

Agree, News should be stripped from the above Netswork and replaced with Echo Chamber for X.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 373
Yet again, for a majority of Americans (I include a significant number of Trump voters here), take these awards for what they are: a bit of fun from a reality-show guy, who seriously lacks mature or sophisticated retortive rhetoric, and - to be fair - has taken a battering from some left-leaning outlets, some of it quite unnecessary and cheap (although no different from how right-leaning outlets constantly criticized Obama, by the way).

But the insane danger, which is underestimated at peril, is how much this seriously emboldens worldwide despots: lunatics who think they are owed something by their people, and have a God-given right to govern. From Astana to Kinshasa, fro Luanda to Zagreb - and every other nation struggling to fight corruption and hidden deals, this is a dream come true. The whole reason we know about Hillary's alleged corrupt deal with Rosatom is because of a free press. Millions will suffer as a result of his pathetic child-like attacks on the media. The legacy of leaders who will cement hereditary power backed by a modern military, and held to little or no account, will forever be remembered as getting a turbo boost under his presidency.

Whole thing is disgusting.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
From Astana to Kinshasa, fro Luanda to Zagreb - and every other nation struggling to fight corruption and hidden deals, this is a dream come true.
How the heck did EU member Croatia get painted with the same brush as Kazakhstan and the Congo here?!
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 373
From Astana to Kinshasa, fro Luanda to Zagreb - and every other nation struggling to fight corruption and hidden deals, this is a dream come true.
How the heck did EU member Croatia get painted with the same brush as Kazakhstan and the Congo here?!

Actually, realized there were no developing nations with a capital starting with Z, then I left it there - because just curious if anyone would pick that out. TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• Marcus Morris
  • Tommy Points: 14
I guess some of you make so much money that you really don't care about the "forgotten men and woman".

February 15th.  Everyone sees more money in their pay check  (unless there are those who "live" off the govt).

Let's point the facts!!

Unemployment for woman down more than in the last 17 years.

Unemployment for Hispanics down more than ever in history.

Unemployment for African Americans down more than ever in history,

The market up more than ever in history.

Yet the media wants to talk about Trump's bone spurs, dentures, and how much ice cream he eats.  Really??

They must hate that he doing a good job!! 

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I guess some of you make so much money that you really don't care about the "forgotten men and woman".

February 15th.  Everyone sees more money in their pay check  (unless there are those who "live" off the govt).

Let's point the facts!!

Unemployment for woman down more than in the last 17 years.

Unemployment for Hispanics down more than ever in history.

Unemployment for African Americans down more than ever in history,

The market up more than ever in history.

Yet the media wants to talk about Trump's bone spurs, dentures, and how much ice cream he eats.  Really??

They must hate that he doing a good job!!

Obama had the biggest change in employment percentage of any modern President and all of those stats you cited we're true as he was leaving office.  You're going to leave us with a recession just like Reagan, Nixon and both Bushes.  Then a Democrat will have to come clean up AGAIN while you blame the first year economy they are in office on Democratic policies.  This has been happening for 50 years now.  You will then say you're not a Republican but a conservative and you don't like Trump when he falls to 25% and there is a recession.

Meanwhile immigrant rights, the environment, freedom of the press, gay rights, education, our national parks and science are getting gutted.  We are an international laughingstock and tourism just fell 6% - the only other country that saw a decline was Turkey.  The President is under three investigations for colluding with an enemy - all started by his own party.  He has the worst approval rating ever for this point and is trending down.