Author Topic: Trump releases fake news awards, and the winner is.....  (Read 1408 times)

Trump releases fake news awards, and the winner is.....
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1082

Trigger warning...

Below are the winners of the 2017 Fake News Awards:

1. The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claimed on the day of President Trump’s historic, landslide victory that the economy would never recover.

2. ABC News’ Brian Ross CHOKES and sends markets in a downward spiral with false report.

3. CNN FALSELY reported that candidate Donald Trump and his son Donald J. Trump, Jr. had access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks.

4. TIME FALSELY reported that President Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office.

5. Washington Post FALSELY reported the President’s massive sold-out rally in Pensacola, Florida was empty. Dishonest reporter showed picture of empty arena HOURS before crowd started pouring in.

6. CNN FALSELY edited a video to make it appear President Trump defiantly overfed fish during a visit with the Japanese prime minister. Japanese prime minister actually led the way with the feeding.

7. CNN FALSELY reported about Anthony Scaramucci’s meeting with a Russian, but retracted it due to a “significant breakdown in process.”

8. Newsweek FALSELY reported that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake President Trump’s hand.

9. CNN FALSELY reported that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim that he was told he is not under investigation.

10. The New York Times FALSELY claimed on the front page that the Trump administration had hidden a climate report.

11. And last, but not least: “RUSSIA COLLUSION!” Russian collusion is perhaps the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people. THERE IS NO COLLUSION!

:o

Re: Trump releases fake news awards, and the winner is.....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2334
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
In 2018 The President Of The United States hyped up a bad facebook meme. I have literally seen more care and diligence put into the pre-game blog posts from Celticsblog than care was given here. The fact that his supporters eat this up is laughable, and the quality of the thing is depressing.

I'm not even saying it couldn't have been great. Someone (it would've been unbecoming for a President to do it, but like...FoxNews, or Breitbart or something) could've made this interesting. Some spectacle, get a red carpet out there. Make a show about how all the people you're trying to present the award to didn't show up, so make card-board cut outs in their honor. Get all the C-level conservative celebrities to show up and talk about gun rights. What was Curt Schilling doing? Seriously, what was he doing? Someone should keep track of that just like..anyways. And where was Mike Huckabee? He could've written the terrible jokes.

Really an opportunity missed for Trump. He could've joined via skype from a golf course where he was pretending to work and everything.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27845
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I hate that the Presidency gets less “Presidential” all the time.  I thought that going on talk shows was beneath the office.  Now we’re at the point of Twitter rants and silly fake awards. I can’t wait for the Kim Kardashian Presidency.

I like conservative policies. I hate the side show.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 874
I hate that the Presidency gets less “Presidential” all the time.  I thought that going on talk shows was beneath the office.  Now we’re at the point of Twitter rants and silly fake awards. I can’t wait for the Kim Kardashian Presidency.

Honest question, what did you think a Trump presidency would look like?  I mean this is the exact same man that was on the Apprentice, that ran in the GOP primary, and then ran in the national election.  Trump is who he is, so were you expecting something different after he was elected?

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Honest question, what did you think a Trump presidency would look like?  I mean this is the exact same man that was on the Apprentice, that ran in the GOP primary, and then ran in the national election.  Trump is who he is, so were you expecting something different after he was elected?

I was hoping he’d be humbled by the position, and I thought he’d be a better manager.

I still prefer the Trump sideshow over Hillary. 

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 327

I was hoping he’d be humbled by the position, and I thought he’d be a better manager.

Hillary would have been much better for conservatives.  She would have provided a target to unite against.  Trump is turning the off year elections into a real contest.   

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 26
Trigger warning eh. Thanks for the warning, I skipped the post and now am much happier. Good day.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 47
I have to admit, I'm incredibly disappointed that Celticsblog didn't win anything

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5350
Did Trump win the Lifetime Achievement award for Fake News and it wasn't reported?

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1962
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Agree with all the comments on laziness/tawdriness. But the base laps it up, so we shouldn't expect anything else at this point.

But for all the sound and fury and attacks on the press, what's striking about the list is how thin it is. Ross's mistake was huge, with major legal implications, and he deserved the suspension he got and arguably more. CNN in #3 was a meaningful error but boiled down to the wrong date on an email that was definitely sent, and was quickly changed. The Scaramucci story was also bad but he was a private citizen and 3 people were fired for it. The rest (not counting the opinion stuff or the sweeping "I am not a crook" #11) are mostly just fluff - misphrasings, posts or images about minor issues that were initially inaccurate or misleading. Almost everything, major and minor, was corrected or retracted within 24 hours of publication. At least 2-3 were single Tweets that were retracted within an hour. The WaPo one was literally a reporter retweeting a mislabeled picture from his personal account then fixing it 30 minutes later and apologizing.

A corrupt or malicious media wouldn't require searching this hard across dozens of outlets and hundreds of journalists/reporters/writers for 10 things they got wrong over ~15 months and padding it with things like feeding fish or a brief mixup on whether a bust was moved inside a room or out of it. And they wouldn't be retracting stories or holding people accountable for them. Look to how Fox handled their phony Seth Rich story for an example of what that kind of approach looks like. Or umpteen Gateway Pundit fabrications if you're a more online type.

There's a separate conversation about slanted presentation or characterization, which stories are promoted/deemphasized, etc, but when talking about false information this just paints a picture of media orgs that make mistakes. Relatively few major mistakes, but one is too many, so the offenders need to work on the process that led to those mistakes. I'm having a hard time picturing when that wouldn't have been the case.

Of course, it's all moot because the President's endless griping has little to nothing to do with actually wanting more accurate reporting. But still.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Hillary would have been much better for conservatives.  She would have provided a target to unite against.  Trump is turning the off year elections into a real contest.

At some point we need to pass laws, not just rail against the other party. Plus, Hillary would end up selecting 2-3 Justices, which was untenable.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1170
Well, it made me chuckle anyways.

But still, what a petty little man our President is.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1325
So who is faker? 

I realize there are those on either side who would claim high(er) ground, but does it really matter?  I mean can we just acknowledge that both sides play politics and that news providers on both sides manipulate their presentation to promote a biased view of the news?   If one does it more so than the other, who cares at this point.   

Are we not all just embarrassed by how divisive we are, and how marginalizing we are to those who hint of disagreement with our own views?   Can anyone think that the discussion of who is "faker" is a good, worthwhile discussion to have?

Trump is leading this crap, but the country is playing along.   We don't have to.  The best thing Trump has done for republicans is that people like me are going to be happy as heck to have a republican other than Trump in the White House when that day mercifully arrives.   

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1037
  • What a Pub Should Be
One news organization is noticeably absent. 

Hmm....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2334
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So who is faker? 

I realize there are those on either side who would claim high(er) ground, but does it really matter?  I mean can we just acknowledge that both sides play politics and that news providers on both sides manipulate their presentation to promote a biased view of the news?   If one does it more so than the other, who cares at this point. 

I do. I care very, very much. Equating them does a disservice to people who report actual news stories, and get labelled as 'fake' because Trump & Co find their thesis inconvenient for one reason or another. It's tearing down the way we as a nation process world events, it is changing the nature of what's true and what's false. Trump's already laid down the law for his supporters, 'True is what I say it is'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner