Author Topic: Jaylen doesn't look like a star  (Read 6599 times)

Re: Jaylen doesn't look like a star
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask this here. If Brown ends up being Harrison Barnes 2.0 would you consider that a bust?
Absolutely not.  Replaceable, if circumstances require it - yes.  A bust - no way.  Barnes is a valuable player on a team, as long as he isn't the best player on a team.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 05:00:27 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I have a problem with Smart and Rozier taking so many 3's...

Between the two of them, they took a total of 15 3PA. That is just too much for two players..

THIS^^^

Tatum isn't a problem and Brown will improve.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
I am thrilled with Brown's progress, and when we made that pick, I was one of the people who wasn't happy with it.....hopeful, but not happy.

I watched almost all of Brown's (and Rabb's) games at Cal.

They had one real suck coach in Cuonzo Martin. He stunted both their developments, and, I think ruined Rabb.

Not only was old Cuonzo a lousy teacher of the game, he was a crap tactician.

He misused both Brown and Rabb, and except for Jabari Bird, rarely surrounded Brown with shooters that he had at his disposal, which would've helped Brown's game tremendously.

Rather, he would send Brown to the right corner, and either have him shoot the 3 or drive to the basket, often double teamed and often pushing off with his left arm, especially when he got in the paint.

Brown was a stud coming out of high school and got WORSE in some aspects of his game at Cal. This from Draftexpress:

The sizeable role Brown played in Cal's oversized but underskilled lineups shined a spotlight on the good and bad elements of his offensive game, particularly in the half court. Coming out of the high school ranks with the reputation as a productive scorer, Brown shot 52% inside the arc, 39% from deep, and 70% from the line in the 50 games of stats we have for him in our database spanning his three seasons on the summer circuit at the prep level. Flashing the ability to make jump shots with range, but doing most of his damage as a slasher, the Georgia native with nothing short of spectacular at times on the AAU circuit.

Shooting 48% inside the arc, 29% from three, and 65% from the line for the Golden Bears, Brown didn't have the easiest time translating his game to the college ranks. With 51% of his shot attempts in the half court coming from the perimeter, the mechanical issues with Brown's jump shot became clear. Timing his release differently shot-to-shot whether he's pulling up off the bounce under pressure or shooting catch and shoot jumpers in space, Brown's mechanics are not particularly reliable at this stage. He casually fades away on some attempts unnecessarily, sometimes holding the ball longer than others at the top of his shot. His combination of mechanical issues resulted in the unimpressive 31% he shot from the perimeter overall.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jaylen-Brown-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-5477/

That regression in college was on Cuonzo.

Brown's defense, 3 point shooting and finishing have improved substantially in just a year and a half.

Let's not judge Brown's progress on Tatum's. Not saying that that is what's being done here, but that's an easy trap to fall into.

Hated the pick....love it now. Danny saw what Brown was and can be and looked past that year of regression at Cal.

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
As many have alluded to already, there are different types of stars and different paths to stardom... Jaylen seems to be on the track similar to a Jimmy Butler/ Kawhi Leonard type... where they progressively improve there game season by season till they have very few weaknesses... his handles have improved greatly and his 3-point shot is reliable and respected. He already plays stellar defense and his athleticism is just starting to shine through.

Tatum reminds me more of a Tracy McGrady type... both will be stars... hopefully for the Celtics

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
As many have said I see Jaylen as a future all star.
He's young and starting for one of the best teams in nba.  His game is solid, plays within team game and is improving.  Go through best defensive sg in east and see where you rank "the kid".  Also his work ethic makes me think his ceiling should be listed as unknown.  His ppg compared to shots shows efficiency. 
Irving (still young) , Tatum and Brown ahhhhh

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
doesn't make sense to put a limit on a players potential in year 2. Heck, look at gordon haywards first and second year. It takes time for guys to develop.

Now, if he comes out next year and looks like the same player as this year with no improvement, i'll be there right with you. But the improvement shown from last year to this leads me to believe he will work on his weaknesses

BUT, even if he stays at the level he is now he is a valuable NBA player

Jaylen certainly does look like a star
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask this here. If Brown ends up being Harrison Barnes 2.0 would you consider that a bust?

He's better on both ends right now. At 21.

Jaylen sure looks like a star in the making
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 12:39:20 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
I have a problem with Smart and Rozier taking so many 3's...

Between the two of them, they took a total of 15 3PA. That is just too much for two players..

THIS^^^

Tatum isn't a problem and Brown will improve.

I could see the objection to Smart shooting 3's, but Rozier is shooting .364, which is solid/very good.  Jaylen at .387 is excellent, and Tatum is off the charts.

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I know Jaylen has a lot of warts but has shown a lot of improvement this year.  He may become a star.  My only real problem with him at this stage of his career - I want him to be more aggressive.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I know Jaylen has a lot of warts but has shown a lot of improvement this year.  He may become a star.  My only real problem with him at this stage of his career - I want him to be more aggressive.
Hmmm, and those warts are ??, certainly not lack of aggressiveness.  He routinely drives into traffic to make something happen at the rim.  His career FG% is 51% and improving this year, not bad.  His 3FG% is 39% and improving this year, not bad.  His one main wart is FT shooting, which has dropped from last year (69%) to this year (56%).  It doesn't make sense for FT% to drop that much, especially in a young player, so I see this as psychological.  If that drop had not happened, we would not even be having this conversation.

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think Brown is going to be a good two way player for a long time (he already is) and he made a pretty nice leap in year two.  His main weakness are creative ball handling, free throw shooting, and playmakinng (which may be because of his lack of handle or the opportunity.). I’m very happy we have Jaylen Brown and I’m fairly confident he will make a few all star games

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's come a long way from last year.  He's only in his second season after playing in a fairly spare college system for one season.

How much might he add to his game between this year and next?  Let's wait until he's up for his second contract, at least, before reaching conclusions about what kind of player he can be.

Just look at Aaron Gordon, for example, or Bradley Beal.  Plenty of guys take a few more before making a leap.  The good news is that Jaylen is already a valuable player, and he never adds too much more to his game, he could still be a player like Wes Matthews or Otto Porter, which is pretty valuable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Jaylen a star sooner rather than later
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Hmmm, and those warts are ??, certainly not lack of aggressiveness.  He routinely drives into traffic to make something happen at the rim.  His career FG% is 51% and improving this year, not bad.  His 3FG% is 39% and improving this year, not bad.  His one main wart is FT shooting, which has dropped from last year (69%) to this year (56%).  It doesn't make sense for FT% to drop that much, especially in a young player, so I see this as psychological.  If that drop had not happened, we would not even be having this conversation.

There's another wart, which is playmaking. This is surprising if you watch him for a few games; you wouldn't say that he's unselfish, and he can deliver some nifty passes. But his assist rate is low.

The myth of his poor ballhandling persists.  I'm mystified why this continues. Last year it made more sense - though it would have been better to say, even then, that he was a brilliant ballhandler who "needs to tighten up", as Jeff Van Gundy said. This year the claim that he's a poor ballhandler is harder to justify.

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I don't know if he'll be a star, but he's already pretty good. Much improved from last year.
I think the problem is that some people compare him to Tatum, so he doesn't look quite so impressive. I mean he's two years older and in his second year as opposed to the rookie. I think if you just look at his game and consider he just turned 21, he's pretty impressive. Excellent defender, good finisher, much improved shooter, outstanding athlete.
He also appears to be a really hard worker. IF he improves his FT shooting and handle, I see no reason he couldn't be an all-star. The only thing standing in his way is the other players on this team. With Irving, Haywood, Horford, and Tatum it might be hard to get enough shots to be considered for all-star team. But that won't matter, because that team wins it all.

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Not yet but it's only his second year.  Usually big jumps can come in the next couple years for a player.  Jaylen is so athletic that if he, for example, builds up confident and execution in finishing around the rim, he could score a lot of points.  He can already get to the rim almost any time in a physical sense (he bowled through Cousins last game for an and-1) but he needs the finesse and handle to just consistently finish.

If he adds a floater type shot, he could score a lot of points.  If he improves his FTs, he can more confidently attack and know he will be scoring points.

His handle does need to improve but in a lot of ways, just needs to be smarter.  He tries to do too much when in reality keeping it simple when you're that long and athletic is better.  He should look at Tatum who so far has mainly just used an in and out crossover and it works.  He really should look at Hayward when he comes back, who has become a playmaker with simple but smart and fast moves that use his athleticism.  Jaylen's passing has a lot of room to grow but that can come as well, so he can at least be solid.

His defense is great and his shooting also helps out other players.  But if he makes improvements in areas I outlined above, which to me seems very possible, he will be a star player.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:06:44 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford