Author Topic: Jaylen doesn't look like a star  (Read 6612 times)

Jaylen doesn't look like a star
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
For all his athletic gifts, he's trending toward good, complimentary player, but not a star. I know part of this has to do with his role on the team but he should not be taking as many three pointers as he does.  I suppose the free throw shooting may be getting to him but he's settling way too much.

His game is not very advanced (shaky handle, okay jumper, lacks go to moves).  He'll improve over time but and get better.  But much of his offensive game is (mostly likely) too delayed to consider him a star in the making.

Which is just fine, as not everyone can be a star nor does a championship level team have to have all stars.  Jaylen's defense and versatility are very valuable at the very least.

Re: Jaylen doesn't look like a star
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For all his athletic gifts, he's trending toward good, complimentary player, but not a star. I know part of this has to do with his role on the team but he should not be taking as many three pointers as he does.  I suppose the free throw shooting may be getting to him but he's settling way too much.

His game is not very advanced (shaky handle, okay jumper, lacks go to moves).  He'll improve over time but and get better.  But much of his offensive game is (mostly likely) too delayed to consider him a star in the making.

Which is just fine, as not everyone can be a star nor does a championship level team have to have all stars.  Jaylen's defense and versatility are very valuable at the very least.
I have no problem with a "complementary player" that can give you 15 ppg, can shoot the three, and play shutdown defense at multiple positions. There aren't all that many of those in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:38:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
He is averaging 14.5 points with good defense in what would be his junior year of college. Also on a team that probably will have two all stars. Why write off his star potential? If he was on magic replacing Fournier he would probably be averaging 17-18 right now.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
He is averaging 14.5 points with good defense in what would be his junior year of college. Also on a team that probably will have two all stars. Why write off his star potential? If he was on magic replacing Fournier he would probably be averaging 17-18 right now.

I’d hope he could crack 20 on that Magic team. I don’t find Aaron Gordon to be super skilled and he’s doing just fine at a pretty young age relying on little more than athleticism with poor efficiency.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
He's not a star yet, but he's a starter on a 50 win team in his second season.

I agree that his handle and FT% are still shaky, but his handle is way improved from last season. 

Also, why do you think he's taking too many threes? He's shooting 39% from 3 this season. 

He's not a Unicorn like Tatum, but he still has potential to be a star in the NBA if he continues on his current trajectory for a couple more seasons.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Odd for me to read this today. I watched closely and Jaylen impressed me a lot with a lot of the little things during the Pelicans game. The game is just starting to slow down for him.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The trend is up for Jaylen Brown.  There is no reason to start looking for a ceiling.  There is no way that anyone would be able to set a ceiling on him anyway.  He could be near his ceiling now (doubtful) or he could keep improving for 5 years.  There is no possible way to be sure.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
He’s shooting 39% on 4.5 three pointers a game, but somehow he’s taking too many? I don’t have a problem at all with his three point shooting, especially because it seems like the majority of them come from the corners.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have a problem with Smart and Rozier taking so many 3's...

Between the two of them, they took a total of 15 3PA. That is just too much for two players..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Disagree. He looks like a future star to me. He's young. Jimmy Butler went to Juco then played through his senior year at Marquette. Jaylen is more advanced than Jimmy Buckets when comparing them at similar ages.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It's premature to say he will or won't be a star. He's 1.5 seasons in after being one-and-done and he's made a big jump this year.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 01:20:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
My issue with the volume of threes is that Jaylen could be putting more pressure on the defense; getting easier even better shots and otherwise causing havoc.  A guy like him should never take a contested three point shot.  It people have to close out on him, he should attack the basket. 

I understand I am nitpicking but the three ball comment is not the crux of my argument.  More to do with where I see his future potential based on his skill set.  And part of the point of making projections is doing so BEFORE the outcome has been more or less set.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:43:03 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I've always thought Demar Derozan is a upper end comp for Jaylen.  He has great tools, as does Derozan, but I'm not sure he has quite the feel, instincts, etc. to become a super duper star. 

I could see him making steady incremental improvements each year like Derozan did, but maybe never quite being that franchise altering talent like Kawhi, KD, Towns, etc.

That would definitely not be a bad player to have for many years into the future.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I've always thought Demar Derozan is a upper end comp for Jaylen.  He has great tools, as does Derozan, but I'm not sure he has quite the feel, instincts, etc. to become a super duper star. 

I could see him making steady incremental improvements each year like Derozan did, but maybe never quite being that franchise altering talent like Kawhi, KD, Towns, etc.

That would definitely not be a bad player to have for many years into the future.

For what it is worth some are starting to say that Derozen should be MVP this year. He is the best player on one of the best teams in the league by quite a bit.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens