Author Topic: Anthony Davis should stay put  (Read 5484 times)

Re: Anthony Davis should stay put
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 06:25:58 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
After beating the best team in the East last night, they subsequently lost to the worst East team in Atlanta tonight. Davis put up an ugly game, too.

Plus, AD is a constant injury risk. I would not give up the farm for him. I would love to have him but he is too costly. I would take Cousins for the rest of this year. He stays healthy and is a monster and would be a beast on Cleveland. But I also wouldn't pay too much for a  Cousins rental.

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The Pelicans looked good tonight. If they can somehow clear some space to add a Paul George type wing, they become a top 5 team

They can't.  So your premise is a moot issue.  Most teams also would benefits by adding a Paul George type wing including us.

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
After beating the best team in the East last night, they subsequently lost to the worst East team in Atlanta tonight. Davis put up an ugly game, too.

Plus, AD is a constant injury risk. I would not give up the farm for him. I would love to have him but he is too costly. I would take Cousins for the rest of this year. He stays healthy and is a monster and would be a beast on Cleveland. But I also wouldn't pay too much for a  Cousins rental.
why would Cousins be a rental?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Gentry discussing possible Davis trade to Celtics.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2018/01/alvin_gentry_anthony_davis_is_not_walking_through_celtics_door

“I know there’s been rumors about Boston trying to trade for him or whatever,” said Gentry, “and my response to that is, yeah, we’ll trade him.”

“But they’re going to have to give us the New England Patriots and the two planes that they just bought. ... And I don’t think they’re going to do that. So we’re not even thinking about those kind of things.”

I know Gentry is joking, but that seems like like a bit of an insult to Brees, Payton, and the Saints who are basically the only saving grace for an otherwise sketchy city (I have been to NO a # of times and feel qualified enough to say that).

As for Davis and Pelicans, of course they are going to have nights where everything goes right for them - as they did against us. Don't forget that teams are giving us their very best as we legitimately are the #1 seed. However, as jpotter pointed out, they are also going to have nights where they lose to the worst team in the NBA. They definitely need more consistency.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
The Pelicans looked good tonight. If they can somehow clear some space to add a Paul George type wing, they become a top 5 team

They can't.  So your premise is a moot issue.  Most teams also would benefits by adding a Paul George type wing including us.

? Why can't they?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 08:48:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

? Why can't they?

They have no cap space and limited assets.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
They just got beat by Atlanta. ...Atlanta!! New Orleans will never be a winning franchise with those owners..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
I take Cousins..lot of ppl would not..guy is a top 15 player...

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I take Cousins..lot of ppl would not..guy is a top 15 player...

Me too. He's still a top 10 in my eyes under the right environment. The problem is Cousins is just not a good leader, nor does he make winning plays. He complains, argues and consistently doesn't put full effort on defense. It's a shame because he is supremely talented.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

They can't.  So your premise is a moot issue.  Most teams also would benefit by adding a Paul George type wing including us.

? Why can't they?
As there is a concept of a salary cap. It prohibits a team from spending money above a certain threshold. It penalizes teams without any frugality, financial knowledge, and sometimes owners conscience.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NOP.html

ATM the 2018/19 cap is projected at 102 mils $
They have already invested $94,827,090 for that year, that is without DMCs new deal that starts at 30,6 mil $ ($136/4y).
If they sign him, they are some 25 mils $ above the tax. That makes the PG13 signing virtually impossible, as he will seek the same money as DMC (7-9 year max).

The real answer to your question lies in the fact that:
1)  NOLA has sent each of its 1st rounders picks away, every year since they drafted AD, relieving them of the possibility to have cheap long-term contracts. They weren't patient and it backfired. They peaked (this year) at 50% ball with a SStar on the roster.
2) Also, they signed some poor value contracts in consecutive years. Asik-Ajinca-Hill
3) The worst medical staff in the league. It indirectly lowers the value of their players and scares some potential free agents away. They didn't get anything for Anderson nor Gordon who walked away for nothing and are enjoying healthy and productive years after their leave.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

They can't.  So your premise is a moot issue.  Most teams also would benefit by adding a Paul George type wing including us.

? Why can't they?
As there is a concept of a salary cap. It prohibits a team from spending money above a certain threshold. It penalizes teams without any frugality, financial knowledge, and sometimes owners conscience.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NOP.html

ATM the 2018/19 cap is projected at 102 mils $
They have already invested $94,827,090 for that year, that is without DMCs new deal that starts at 30,6 mil $ ($136/4y).
If they sign him, they are some 25 mils $ above the tax. That makes the PG13 signing virtually impossible, as he will seek the same money as DMC (7-9 year max).

The real answer to your question lies in the fact that:
1)  NOLA has sent each of its 1st rounders picks away, every year since they drafted AD, relieving them of the possibility to have cheap long-term contracts. They weren't patient and it backfired. They peaked (this year) at 50% ball with a SStar on the roster.
2) Also, they signed some poor value contracts in consecutive years. Asik-Ajinca-Hill
3) The worst medical staff in the league. It indirectly lowers the value of their players and scares some potential free agents away. They didn't get anything for Anderson nor Gordon who walked away for nothing and are enjoying healthy and productive years after their leave.

TP Androslav, was gonna type the same but got too lazy. No offense but I don't understand why people just can't look online for five seconds and see that the New Orleans Pelicans literally shot themselves in the foot. Asik, Hill and Alexis might be the worst trio of contracts in the NBA combined. Both centers haven't seen more than 12 minutes at all this season and Hill has been injured frequently.

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 10:00:42 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

He is a free agent after this season.

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He is a free agent after this season.
So.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Could they take a flyer on Deng from LA? He wanted to get bought out, but that seems unlikely. NO really needs any kind of depth but particularly wing depth. Unfortunately there aren't too many decent wings that will suddenly become available.

And I mean, if they make the playoffs and demonstrate they're committed to winning with AD and Cousins, and then have some contracts come off the books, maybe that's enough to entice some kind of solid player to sign.

IDK. Glad I'm a Celtics fan.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Pelicans are going to sign Cousins to a 5 year, 175 million contract..or offer him that anyway